DO student applying to MD Anesthesia, Suggested Number of Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tldo5250

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am a newly minted 4th year DO student planing to apply to MD Anesthesia. I currently have a list of ~60 programs (none of them are in California, none in the northeast higher than Pennsylvania) to which I am planning to apply. Although a I know it's a very subjective question to answer... Do you think this is enough or is more needed to secure enough interviews to have a good chance at matching. My stats are:
Comlex 1 - 569 (first attempt)
Usmle Step 1 - 239 (first attempt)
GPA - 3.53
Letters - Decent but no huge names
Research Experience - None in Medical School
Volunteer Experience - None (unless donating blood every few months counts)

Thank you for your time. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think anyone in the Med Student forums can help you out here. Try the physician/resident forum subsection anesthesiology. They will know.

Well, even though this is just the med student forum, I think there are some people here who have recently gone through the process. From what I've heard and read, you should be fine applying to 60 places, but it also depends on what places you are applying to. Make sure there are some lower tier community programs in the south and midwest on your list if you're worried. MD anesthesiology is a DO friendly specialty and with that USMLE score, you might be able to match at a very good program.

The only thing that can really hold you back are any red flags on your application, rec letters, dean's letter, personal statement, poor interviewer, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming that last years cycle for acgme IM was slightly more competitive that gas, then you'd be fine with 40 apps as long as you apply to a mix of backups, reaches, and everything in between. You'd probably be safe applying regionally even.

Thanks, nontradca, hah.

I had a 250 usmle, a 600's on level 1 and 700's on the level 2. I applied to roughly 60 programs and got roughly 40 interviews. I would imagine you will fair similarly (25 to 40 invites). You are fine with 60 programs and probably would be fine with fewer. I personally think it's worth applying to 60ish programs. It will give you peace of mind and you'll be surprised by which places grant you interviews.

You will match anesthesia. Don't worry about it too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello SDN,

I am a newly minted 4th year DO student planing to apply to MD Anesthesia. I currently have a list of ~60 programs (none of them are in California, none in the northeast higher than Pennsylvania) to which I am planning to apply. Although a I know it's a very subjective question to answer... Do you think this is enough or is more needed to secure enough interviews to have a good chance at matching. My stats are:
Comlex 1 - 569 (first attempt)
Usmle Step 1 - 239 (first attempt)
GPA - 3.53
Letters - Decent but no huge names
Research Experience - None in Medical School
Volunteer Experience - None (unless donating blood every few months counts)

Thank you for your time. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Definitely enough.

good,It will give you peace of mind and you'll be surprised by which places grant you interviews.thanks
QwqhZC

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input. I have a follow up question if you'd oblige me... the 60 on my list currently are a mix, a few offering pgy 1 year for all potential matchers, most offering some positions for potential matchers (but not all), and a few being strictly pgy2 starters. How many internships should one apply for and how many interviews should one go on? And I assume the match algorithm tries to place you with the same institution for pgy1 and 2 but if the program where you end up doesn't have one or it is already full... does it just kick down to your highest ranked pgy1 year only and match you there?

If the programs will accept a TRI, those are always open. Even after the ACGME match. Of course perhaps you want quality (though some quality TRIs hold a spot or two for exactly people like you), your best bet is to ask some one who did exactly that route. I didn't.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input. I have a follow up question if you'd oblige me... the 60 on my list currently are a mix, a few offering pgy 1 year for all potential matchers, most offering some positions for potential matchers (but not all), and a few being strictly pgy2 starters. How many internships should one apply for and how many interviews should one go on? And I assume the match algorithm tries to place you with the same institution for pgy1 and 2 but if the program where you end up doesn't have one or it is already full... does it just kick down to your highest ranked pgy1 year only and match you there?

I didn't apply to any internship spots. I ranked the categorical anesthesia programs first and hoped for the best. I was willing to scramble a medicine prelim or TY spot somewhere.

I also feel far less informed about good target medicine prelim / TY programs than I do about anesthesia programs. It seems cumbersome to plan on 10-15 anesthesia interviews and an equal number of PGY1 program interviews. I've heard of some internships doing Skype interviews - can anyone confirm? Anyone care to divulge a list of DO-friendly, but high-quality PGY1 programs?