Do student entering MD match - Internship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoddemic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year osteopathic student who plans to enter the MD match for PMR. I was curious if, as a DO, I HAVE to complete an AOA accredited internship year. I'm asking because there are several MD residencies that are considered categorical and include the internship into a 4 year residency. Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a third year osteopathic student who plans to enter the MD match for PMR. I was curious if, as a DO, I HAVE to complete an AOA accredited internship year. I'm asking because there are several MD residencies that are considered categorical and include the internship into a 4 year residency. Thanks for your input!

It only matters if you want to practice in 4 states (PA, OK, FL, MI). There is also resolution 42 which, I think, most people get approval for.http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/postdoctoral-training/Pages/resolution-42.aspx

I'm not doing an AOA internship. I matched a categorical anesthesia spot. I have no interest in those 4 states.

Last edited:
Won't this become moot bc of the AOA/ACGME Merger?

Members don't see this ad :)
PM&R categorical has 36 programs with 103 spots and advanced has 61 programs with 294 spots. You have two options:

1. Like the above posters, if you plan on practicing in one of those 4 states, apply TY in AOA and advanced positions ONLY in ACGME.

2. If you don't plan on practicing in those 4 states, you can go through ACGME applying both advanced and categorical along with prelim-medicine to cover your PGY1, or you can do #1 option as above.

I personally think option 1 is better because it's easy to match into TY in AOA. You hear a lot of applicants fail to match prelim-medicine in ACGME every year and end up SOAP/scramble for a surgery prelim. Applying TY in AOA will save you a lot of trouble. Plus 294 advanced positions is a pretty good amount of spots for you to match into and PM&R is pretty DO-friendly.

PM&R categorical has 36 programs with 103 spots and advanced has 61 programs with 294 spots. You have two options:

1. Like the above posters, if you plan on practicing in one of those 4 states, apply TY in AOA and advanced positions ONLY in ACGME.

2. If you don't plan on practicing in those 4 states, you can go through ACGME applying both advanced and categorical along with prelim-medicine to cover your PGY1, or you can do #1 option as above.

I personally think option 1 is better because it's easy to match into TY in AOA. You hear a lot of applicants fail to match prelim-medicine in ACGME every year and end up SOAP/scramble for a surgery prelim. Applying TY in AOA will save you a lot of trouble. Plus 294 advanced positions is a pretty good amount of spots for you to match into and PM&R is pretty DO-friendly.

I skipped the AOA match and ended up matching an advanced anesthesia position. I went unmatched for intern year, failed to SOAP into a med-prelim, didn't really apply for the surg ones. Snagged an AOA TRI spot after SOAP. Apply to a ton of prelim med years they are more competitive than I thought, or just try to get a TRI after the match like I did.

Personally I did not want to dilute my chances of getting my specialty of choice by taking all the categorical spots off the table by going through the AOA match for a TRI.