DO student, possible to match gas with by just applying to categorical programs ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gilbert Syndrome

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in applying to anesthesiology next year but I am concerned about having to apply to preliminary/TY positions in addition to categorical anesthesiology programs. Is it possible to apply to just the categorical anesthesiology programs and not apply to preliminary / TY positions. My current stats are step 1: 241, COMLEX level 1 : 647 and I have one poster presentation for what it's worth. I also go to a brand new DO school so I don't really have any upperclassmen to ask . Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't put your future on the line over the failure to click a second box on ERAS while trying to save a little dough. Many programs still have split slots, and it costs nothing extra to apply to these (you interview for both spots simultaneously). You can rank all of your categorical programs then rank the equivalent advanced programs lower on the list. SOAP in if you miraculously go to an advanced spot and need the prelim.

Do a search next time. All of this information is easily found on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user