DO student wants to do MD gas...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suds945

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm an OMS-3, and I'm pretty set on applying to MD anesthesia as of right now, so I'm trying to find programs where I can match right away and not have to worry about licensing/practice in the "five states" or whatever.

1. For those DOs who matched straight into PGY-1 MD anesthesia slots (also called categorical, maybe?), were you able to get your first year of training approved by the AOA, and was it based on this (https://www.do-online.org/pdf/sir_ogme1core.pdf)? Specifically, I'm looking at mid-tier ACGME programs around the Midwest (mostly Michigan and the Chicago area), so any info about those would be helpful. The reason why I'm asking about them now is because I'm going to try to set up away rotations at programs where I can get AOA approval of my training, and I need to schedule them way in advance to make sure that I can show my face there.

2. Also, as a more general question to any of you guys, I got a 222/92 on Step 1. I'm sure it will vary, but what kind of Step 2 score will I need to be in decent shape for programs around the Midwest? 230? 240? Do gas programs look more at Step 1 or Step 2, or does that vary as well?

3. And last, who are the notable anesthesiologists around the country whose letters would be most influential and/or carry the most weight, and with what institutions are they associated? I tried to research this a little bit myself, but it was hard to find any definitive information anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

haven't done it yet but will apply to get my intern year approved by the aoa. i have heard it is not a problem, at least at my program (ccf). can't help you with chicago or michigan as i didn't apply there.
as long as you don't slip on step two you will be competitive but the higher the better.
some programs look at step one more than two i think. everyone takes step one in time for the match but not everyone takes step two. many programs use step one to thin the pile of applications.
as far as letters, a letter from miller or someone else who writes our text books i guess.

Hey guys, I'm an OMS-3, and I'm pretty set on applying to MD anesthesia as of right now, so I'm trying to find programs where I can match right away and not have to worry about licensing/practice in the "five states" or whatever.

1. For those DOs who matched straight into PGY-1 MD anesthesia slots (also called categorical, maybe?), were you able to get your first year of training approved by the AOA, and was it based on this (https://www.do-online.org/pdf/sir_ogme1core.pdf)? Specifically, I'm looking at mid-tier ACGME programs around the Midwest (mostly Michigan and the Chicago area), so any info about those would be helpful. The reason why I'm asking about them now is because I'm going to try to set up away rotations at programs where I can get AOA approval of my training, and I need to schedule them way in advance to make sure that I can show my face there.

2. Also, as a more general question to any of you guys, I got a 222/92 on Step 1. I'm sure it will vary, but what kind of Step 2 score will I need to be in decent shape for programs around the Midwest? 230? 240? Do gas programs look more at Step 1 or Step 2, or does that vary as well?

3. And last, who are the notable anesthesiologists around the country whose letters would be most influential and/or carry the most weight, and with what institutions are they associated? I tried to research this a little bit myself, but it was hard to find any definitive information anywhere.

Don't use the term OMS it demeans us all

Members don't see this ad :)

OMS is like someone saying allopathic. Nothing wrong with a DO being specific. By the way, I'm an MD.

Let's worry about people not trained as doctors claiming to be doctors. So let's make sure us MEDical students and residents send word to both McCain and Obama since who knows which ***** will be present in 09.

My medical school dean was telling me that there is talk about starting a osteo gas residency at cook county. Have any of you guys heard any details?

OMS is like someone saying allopathic. Nothing wrong with a DO being specific. By the way, I'm an MD.

Let's worry about people not trained as doctors claiming to be doctors. So let's make sure us MEDical students and residents send word to both McCain and Obama since who knows which ***** will be present in 09.

I'm a DO and I really just hate that term. We're all medical students, no need to segregate ourselves anymore than we already are. Allopathic medical students don't call themselves AMS 3s. No need to use the term OMS IMO

Back on topic folks... ;)

I can't say I know of any 'notable' anesthesiologists in particular but you could check out pubmed and find out who's a rockstar in gas research and try to get a rotation in their department.

I disagree, friend.

I think those days are long gone.

I mean long, long gone.

My original gig (1996-2004) there were 2 DOs in the anesthesia community and noone couldve given a s hit less about where they went to med school since they did an allopathic residency.

I'm sure now, many years later, that point of view is even stronger.

I encourage DOs to carry where you've been with pride.

Here's my humble opinion:

Some of this "medicine" gig is a GAME. To play the game, first, you have to GAIN ACCESS to the game.

Of course there are many ways to access it. US-MD, DO, FMG-MD.....

The key is to gain an allopathic residency and emerge from your training a competent physician.

If you emerge from an allopathic residency, go into practice, are truly a good doctor, you respect yourself and are confident with your technical and decision-making prowess, your partners respect you, you deliver good patient care, colleagues in other specialties respect you, etc..

CONGRATULATIONS. YOU'VE ACCESSED THE GAME.

At this point, place your med school degree, wherever its from, Yale, Harvard, DA U,:)laugh:), American University of the Caribbean,Joe's Med School in Hobocoe Kansas, SECOM, OCOM, RECOM, DudeCOM......

next to your kindergarten diploma.

They're all equivalent in importance now.

Last edited:

I'm usually off causing trouble elsewhere, but saw this and had to give you a :thumbup:

OMS is a new, politically motivated designation created by an organization in the AOA that has repeatedly proven to be blind, deaf, and dumb when it comes to real issues that matter to DOs. OMS is a slap in the face for every DO and medical student who has worked overtime to ensure that his or her medical education is the equal of an "allopathic" counterpart.

By saying that, am I saying that if you sign your name OMS, take only the Comlex, and become a glorified chiropractor that you're somehow an inferior doc? Yes. That's precisely what I'm saying.

Listen to Jet - take the USMLE and get into an MD residency. After you've done that, don't forget to pay it forward. Get involved in your specialty's political action committee and the AMA by volunteering and donating. Do it like your future depends on it...because it does.

Last edited:
I disagree, friend.

I think those days are long gone.

I mean long, long gone.

My original gig (1996-2004) there were 2 DOs in the anesthesia community and noone couldve given a s hit less about where they went to med school since they did an allopathic residency.

I'm sure now, many years later, that point of view is even stronger.

I encourage DOs to carry where you've been with pride.

Here's my humble opinion:

Some of this "medicine" gig is a GAME. To play the game, first, you have to GAIN ACCESS to the game.

Of course there are many ways to access it. US-MD, DO, FMG-MD.....

The key is to gain an allopathic residency and emerge from your training a competent physician.

If you emerge from an allopathic residency, go into practice, are truly a good doctor, you respect yourself and are confident with your technical and decision-making prowess, your partners respect you, you deliver good patient care, colleagues in other specialties respect you, etc..

CONGRATULATIONS. YOU'VE ACCESSED THE GAME.

At this point, place your med school degree, wherever its from, Yale, Harvard, DA U,:)laugh:), American University of the Caribbean,Joe's Med School in Hobocoe Kansas, SECOM, OCOM, RECOM, DudeCOM......

next to your kindergarten diploma.

They're all equivalent in importance now.

JPP my friend. Agree w/all of the above and am faithfully following "the plan".

However, IMHO OMS is a stupid@ss term. If we strive for parity and equality we shouldn't use a silly little term to try and differentiate ourselves during the clinical years.

You may not need step 2 to get good interviews. 222 is a decent score and you may not gain that much by taking step 2 early but you might have something to lose. The only caveat is that some places may require step 2 to be ranked, but I think that this number of programs is small.

That's because it's all subjective except for the really big guns. Chances are pretty slim that you are going to get a letter from a truly big gun like Dr. Miller. I wouldn't get one from Joe Blow at BFE community hospital. I would rotate at a couple of places and try and get to work with the same attending a few times so that they get to know you. A really good letter from some middle of the road person at a decent academic program is good enough in most instances. Some places you can request to work w/the chair or the PD or whoever and then meet with them later and get a letter.

Chances are that if you get a letter from someone who has been around academics a while that they will be influential in their field in one way or another or they will be involved in writing text, oral board exams, writing con ed, research or whatever. It might not be that big of a deal and you will have never heard of them but the field isn't humongous and many folks in the field know other folks from all across the country.

My medical school dean was telling me that there is talk about starting a osteo gas residency at cook county. Have any of you guys heard any details?

How the hell could they do that? Have TWO anesthesia residencies at one institution...don't think so.

Cook County has its own gig going and they aren't about to blow it by allowing this. Its allopathic and its IMG/FMG driven. And that's how they like it damn it.

I don't even know what an OMS is? OMFS I know of but OMS? How about MEDICAL STUDENT.

TAKE USMLE IF YOU WANT TO GO TO MD PROGRAM OR YOU SHOOT SELF IN FOOT.

JPP my friend. Agree w/all of the above and am faithfully following "the plan".

However, IMHO OMS is a stupid@ss term. If we strive for parity and equality we shouldn't use a silly little term to try and differentiate ourselves during the clinical years.

Understood.

Thanks for the guidance.

It's a DO thing I reckon.

:laugh: Nice! I've never written OMS, or introduced myself as a "student doctor" or "student physician." It's "Kubed MSIV" and "I'm the med student working with Dr XXXX" .... and no one has ever gotten confused

It's nice to see the DO love (or at least tolerance) around here. Hopefully all of us 4th years get shown the same love as interviews come rolling in.

man it seems like so long ago that i was making threads these threads.

1. havent tried, dont anticipate a problem, should i need to get this approved.

2. i think beating the mean on USMLE and being a personable candidate with a good interview is enough. you will miss out on interviews, no doubt, but that will be more a function of quantity of applicants and program specific biases than numbers (i.e. they wont say, 'well we would have interviewed this DO if only he has gotten a 260 on step 1')

3. you likely wont get fleischer, miller, roizen or wallace (the biggest i could think of) to write you a letter, even if you rotate at their institution. any 'big name' physician probably wont stake any part of his reputation on someone he has known peripherally for 4 weeks. what you need is LOR from faculty members at large programs. go rotate at a place you might like and make a connection with one of the midlevel or senior faculty. IMHO, what you are looking for is the letterhead, rather than the name.

MCW would be a good place to do an away rotation. Each year the anes program takes 1 or 2 DO grads out of the 22 so they shouldn't have any problems with DOs for away rotations. There are 10-12 different anesthesia courses to choose from. That said, you probably won't get one in June, July, or August unless you fluke out (since these are the I-need-a-letter months) but the other months should be wide open. You can probably even wrangle out a research month if you want to. Very solid program with very good letter writers.