do students didn't go to md schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there anyone who is either a do or a do student who turned down any md schools' acceptance?

do you ever regret for choosing do instead of md?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In a few weeks, I'll be starting a DO school...I turned down an MD school to go there. While I haven't started yet, I have no regrets going in. It was VERY difficult to send in the form withdrawing my acceptance from the MD school. I was surprised that it was kind of gut-wrenching--not because I wasn't sure about being a DO, but because I had been working so hard for so long and to decline admission anywhere would be hard. I shadowed a DO who had also turned down MD acceptance, and I know DO students who did the same thing. It may not be as uncommon as you think. None of them have any regrets, either.

------------------
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

--Willy Wonka

Wow I thought I was a loner!

I too applied to both and got accepted to both. I took the DO school over the MD, and have not regretted it. But it seems on this board there is a large perception that people go to DO school cause they can't get into MD school.

Glad to hear there are more of us. I know of a couple in my class that did this too.

Billie, MS-III
WVSOM

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorK, I see you are in FW, TX and thus a TCOM student. Which MD (Texas?) school did you tun down and why? Just curious.

I ranked UTMB first, and matched there. I loved the school, I know I would have been happy there. I think I would have also matched at Houston...I interviewed at both Houston and Galveston before my MCAT scores were received (1st time August MCAT-taker!), and I was basically told at San Antonio that I would get in there as well by both of my interviewers. But I really wanted to be a DO. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have another tool to help patients, and I'd probably always regret not knowing OMM, although I know I could pick it up (as others have) as an MD. I also looked at the quality of life my family would have while I'm in med school. I have a husband and four year old. I think all the schools in Texas are really good, so it's all about personal preference here. You can't really choose a bad school. I'd certainly have gone to UTMB if I hadn't gotten in at TCOM.

I too, thought I was a loner!
I start a DO school this fall. I turned down a MD school. It was a difficult decision for me because the MD school is the school that I thought I was always going to attend, But I was disappointed with the school after I had my interview and the DO school really impressed me. To make the decision more complicated the MD school would have been about $17,000 cheaper per year because I would have had in-state tution. In the end I decided to go to the school I felt the most comfortable at. At the MD school I felt like a number and that the people did not really care if I went there or not. I do not regret my decision but I will have to say that my family was not very understanding about my decision (except for my husband). But, I still think I made the right decision for me.

------------------
UHS Class of 2004

[This message has been edited by Julie (edited 06-23-2000).]

Billie, how do you like WVSOM? I know its supposed to be a great primary care school, but I find it hard to justify the cost for those out of state (I am from Virginia). But I have been up to the area quite often(relatives there) and it really is beautiful.

Count me in!!!!
biggrin.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS III

Hey, I thought I was the only one. I don't regret it my desicion to go to Do than a MD. It's so good to hear that others have made the same desicion. In this site most of the poeple think that the majority of the students that decide on going to DO school is because they couldn't made it to MD school. I just love everything about osteopahtic medicine and I can wait to have the letters D.O. next to my name.
Keep posting.

------------------
siul

but is it true that DO students have less chances to get residency?

Hi Devo,

I agree. I am in-state, but I think the out of state tuition is ridiculous. I have no clue as to why they charge that.

It is pretty in Lewisburg. Lots to do if you like the outdoors. They always say you will never have time, buy my classmates always found time to fish, hike, golf, spelunking (spelling?), skiing, etc.

I have finished only one week of rotations so far, but have felt very well prepared for things. How I did on boards though is another matter, hehe. But that is cause of me, not WVSOM.
biggrin.gif

Good luck to you!
smile.gif

Billie

Young Jock,

We've all posted our feelings on the issue. Keep in mind that this is primarily an osteopathic site; people show bias towards their own program and DO students/physicians are no exception.

Here is what you should do:

1. Think about why you're entering medicine. Do you want to be a family doc or work in OMM? Or do you want to do academic medicine or surgery? The latter two will be much tougher as a DO.

2. What are your feelings about OMM? I know for a fact that it does work, dramatically in my case. But will you use it? I won't--I want to get a residency in radiology.

3. How much do you want to have to explain yourself? I felt like I had done enough of it by going to college and doing well on the MCAT; by writing the bloody long AMCAS application; and by flying all over the country, at my own great expense, to promote myself. I don't have any patience for dealing with the ignorance of those many people who don't know a DO from an OD.

Lastly, get out there and do a lot of talking with people who are in the field. My first DO contact was a guy who works with three other docs, all of whom are MDs. The MDs told me that he doesn't do much OMM at all. It's a very demanding form of treatment that requires a lot of regular practice to be of any use to your patients with it. Even the AOA laments the fact that DOs aren't using it very much, which makes them more and more like their allopathic counterparts--and weakens the argument for going into osteopathy in the first place.

Young jock,

AOA slots for surgery are open soley for D.O.'s. Actually, the surgeon who interviewed me at Kirksville was a D.O. The Pyschiatrist I shadowed in St.Paul is a D.O.

The point is that you can go D.O. and do anything. If you are hell bent on brain surgery or hiv research, it might be easier via the M.D. route.

Just don't beleive you have to go family if you want to be a D.O. It just isn't close to true. I plan on internal/emergency, hope to see you there.

Royce,

Can u tell me how OMM "worked dramatically" in your case? I'm just curious what ailment you had and what OMM technique was employed to alleviate it.

Thanks,
DO Boy

There are lots of medschools in socal, all of which demonstrate an ability to change people for the worst. The majority of students are cutthroat and nonpersonal(omygawd, i know this is going to start a riot).

I toured western u and went on an ost med seminar they had there and was VERY impressed with the student body and the placement results of the graduating class. Medschool is what you make of it, regardless of where you go. My stats are competitive, but I doubt if I will apply to MD schools.

I am pre-med and have only applied to DO school. My undergraduate neurophysiology professor is dying for me to apply to UTMB, Galveston because he earned his PhD there. However, my wife works for a great DO. I just can't imagine going to MD school, NOT because I have anything against MDs, I just don't wanna be one.