Do taller and/or good looking people have an edge in the admissions process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly helped me! :laugh: ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
In interviews, I say yes - a tad bit.

del

Last edited:
Well I dunno if it's advantageous or not, but a few people at my last interview seemed to comment that all the females at the interview were tall.

nah. i'm as ugly as sin (that's me in the avatar) and i'm holding multiple acceptances.

maybe if i gain a little more weight yale will accept me...

According to a doctor I work with, he used to give extra points to good looking female interviewees when he conducted interviews at his school.

BlueMagpie said:
According to a doctor I work with, he used to give extra points to good looking female interviewees when he conducted interviews at his school.

That is very funny yet sad at the same time, especially since I have a penis.

That is pretty funny and wrong, but hey more good looking female doctors :laugh:
BlueMagpie said:

I sure hope so! Because I'm super hot, and I have an interview on Thursday. :laugh:

absolutely they do. on paper everyone is equal, but once you get to the interview stage looks/presenation matters. study after study has shown that the "better" looking you are and the more effectively you present yourself (ie communicate), the more likely the interviewer is to regard you in a positive light. it's not fair but it's human nature.

I think any general psychology book will tell you that there is a hardwired bias in humans that will always give good looking/taller people an edge when it comes to assessing other unrelated qualities (e.g. qualification for medical school). So Yes, when it comes to the point of interviews, I think for 2 equally qualified people on paper, the better looking/taller person will have a distinct advantage.

By the way on a form that I saw at one of my interviews: appearance was actually one of the 8 or so categories on which the interviewers rank us on a scale (I think it was from 1 to 5). This could just mean clean cut, etc., but it would seem open to interpretation by the interviewer, so attractiveness could be an actual quantitative aspect to differentiate interviewees in some of their minds.

Members don't see this ad :)
stoic said:
absolutely they do. on paper everyone is equal, but once you get to the interview stage looks/presenation matters. study after study has shown that the "better" looking you are and the more effectively you present yourself (ie communicate), the more likely the interviewer is to regard you in a positive light. it's not fair but it's human nature.

Yeah, you think that effectiveness of communication has an impact? Wow what a surprise.. somehow, out of those two, i suspect it's the more important.

winsicle said:
I think any general psychology book will tell you that there is a hardwired bias in humans that will always give good looking/taller people an edge when it comes to assessing other unrelated qualities (e.g. qualification for medical school). So Yes, when it comes to the point of interviews, I think for 2 equally qualified people on paper, the better looking/taller person will have a distinct advantage.

By the way on a form that I saw at one of my interviews: appearance was actually one of the 8 or so categories on which the interviewers rank us on a scale (I think it was from 1 to 5). This could just mean clean cut, etc., but it would seem open to interpretation by the interviewer, so attractiveness could be an actual quantitative aspect to differentiate interviewees in some of their minds.

do you think taller is only advantageous for guys though?

I think for girls, shorter makes you seem cuter and friendlier

I think tall girls have to make the extra effort to be friendly, otherwise they'll come across as being more intimidating.
Although being tall will always guarantee that you're noticed....

Ross434 said:
Yeah, you think that effectiveness of communication has an impact? Wow what a surprise.. somehow, out of those two, i suspect it's the more important.

they can't be considered completely independantly of each other. people judge better looking people as being more effective communicators.

stoic said:
they can't be considered completely independantly of each other. people judge better looking people as being more effective communicators.

Ah, understood.

AStudent said:

I wouldn't neccessarily say good looking. But as long as you dress appropriately and professionally, I don't think looks have anyting to do with it. As long as you come off as a straight shooter, you are A okay. I mean seriously it' s not like many doctors exactly model material.

I think the most important thing by far is that you articulate yourself well, and seem very approachable, friendly, and bright.

Now, if you also happen to be good-looking, then you're set for life.

But if you're beautiful and NOT friendly, or not well-spoken, then I think you'll come across as being aloof or stupid.

Looks can make you stand out, but it could bring negative attention as well

funshine said:
do you think taller is only advantageous for guys though?

I think for girls, shorter makes you seem cuter and friendlier

I think tall girls have to make the extra effort to be friendly, otherwise they'll come across as being more intimidating.
Although being tall will always guarantee that you're noticed....

I am a 6 foot girl and it didn't seem to hurt me, I think i am cute and friendly ;)

AStudent said:

Yeah, I think they prefer that you look like a doctor and not a nursing home nurse.

The warmth of one's smile has much to do with one's ability to be charming I think.

I interviewed with a very old female researcher at one point - she went so far as to tell me she thought I was cute - very late in the interview after we'd talked a good hour. Granted it came from a lady my grandmother's age, I still thanked her for the complement. As a guy, I am always relieved to see a female interviewer - there is something about answering to a woman that really sets my mind at ease... always my best interviews.

Oddly enough, my best interviews were with men. (I'm a girl.) I'm pretty short, maybe the cute/friendly thing does work for short. I hope so... I also hope I look mature enough to be accepted to one more school......

Yes, it matters if you look good or not, and it goes for both males and females. This country is infatuated with outer appearances and looks, and even if one doesn't want to discriminate on basis of looks they may still unconsciously discriminate.

Ahhh it was the lack of requiring a photo that explains those rejections...

for the most part, as everyone else said, it should help...although sometimes good looking people are considered airheads, which blows. im not bad looking and it sucks having to prove yourself to people.

Much like one of the above posters, I love to interview with women. I think it allows me to use a lil' of my charm in the interview. ;)

It hasn't hurt so far. By the by...for my only acceptance so far - both of my interviews that day were with women. Draw your own conclusions.

Man, I am surprised at the number of guys on here who seem to be whoring their looks in interviews. :smuggrin:

superdevil said:
nah. i'm as ugly as sin (that's me in the avatar) and i'm holding multiple acceptances.

maybe if i gain a little more weight yale will accept me...

Oh no! Don't lose weight, you look wonderful! :love:
Quite sexy if you ask me ;)

Well, I know I'm good looking but not very tall. My heights doesn't seem to hinder me much during interviews because it's my words that will make me tall.

there were so many tall, handsome men at duke when i interviewed there. a lot of TALL people. interviewees and people about the hospital. schnikees! ;)

Yes, Tall and beautiful people have an adavantage in every part of life. Of course, there are always talented exceptions. (See Danny Devito) :laugh:

I'm 6'2" and I guess that helped me get accepted b/c I can reach things on the top shelf.

it's rumored that good looking people have an advantage at columbia.

i haven't heard back from anywhere yet. does this mean i am not cute/tall/good looking?!?!? :confused: AND i didn't get an interview at columbia :eek:

on another note-- i have a very southern accent, and i think that really helped me when i interviewed up north. here's hoping i get a minority scholarship for being southern.

gdubb said:
on another note-- i have a very southern accent, and i think that really helped me when i interviewed up north. here's hoping i get a minority scholarship for being southern.

those southern accents are so hot. :) mine still has traces of LAWNG IWLAND tho...

What about the short, not-so attractive applicant (not to say that's me! :)) who has had to use his/her brain all their lives to try and balance out the universe against all those good looking, tall people who are either athletes or models, dont they stand a chance?? :eek:

get real; height and looks matter throughout life, it goes without asking. dont whine about discrimination and superficiality, life isnt fair and its survival of the fittest, some get lucky and others not. its not just this country, it is everywhere. you have some influence over your appearance, but not too much. to all hot chicks--intelligently flirt with your interviewers and you are sure to score points. same to guys but not to the same extent.

Shredder said:
get real; height and looks matter throughout life, it goes without asking.

Unfortunately, very true. Its human nature, plain and simple. People would rather look at other attractive people, and it subconsciously and/or more noticeably affects the way they treat or view that person. Just a way of life...

Why yes, we do. As long as we believe it is so.

Confidence can move mountains. If you feel confident by being tall and good looking, you have a significant advantage over anyone who isn't as confident, regardless of their height or appearance.

NS

I think weight is a big factor. We only have one person in my class I would consider obese. I've heard this from people at other schools too.

I'm wondering about the tall female thing too. Do you think being a tall girl is as helpful as being a tall guy. I guess it doesn't matter much now but its still interesting to know.

erin682 said:
I'm wondering about the tall female thing too. Do you think being a tall girl is as helpful as being a tall guy. I guess it doesn't matter much now but its still interesting to know.

I've done OK so far (I'm 6'1" chick). I remember learning in my social psychology class that attractiveness is a big factor in persuasion, that you're more likely to be able to convince someone of your qualifications to be in medicine if you're attractive. ;) And somewhere, I read that tall women make more money. Please don't ask me for a source though, I certainly don't remember. :oops:

DianaLynne said:
I've done OK so far (I'm 6'1" chick). I remember learning in my social psychology class that attractiveness is a big factor in persuasion, that you're more likely to be able to convince someone of your qualifications to be in medicine if you're attractive. ;) And somewhere, I read that tall women make more money. Please don't ask me for a source though, I certainly don't remember. :oops:

Well for my sake I hope tall women make more money :)

This is a good way to make short people feel great about themselves... Oh well Thank God I am tall AND sexy ...

Well, I'm not tall for a guy - something like an inch and a half under the mean - but I like to think I'm above average-looking. :laugh: I certainly would doubt that my looks would hurt my application.

erin682 said:
I think weight is a big factor. We only have one person in my class I would consider obese. I've heard this from people at other schools too.
Regardless of individual situations, if you're obese, your interviewer is more likely to think that you lack self-control and motivation.

this is not good news. i am a 5'6" male, ugly as sin.