Do Texas Schools Allow Out of State Applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlue2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a question to anyone that may be informed on this topic...Do Texas schools generally show any love to out of state residents? I don't mean let in 1 or 2 out of staters to fill up spots that they couldn't fill otherwise...are they friendly to out of staters?

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor is most friendly, cap 75% instate (I believe). UT southwestern is next, cap 90%. Don't bother with the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor has no official cap, they just give you an extra point if you're in-state. They usually accept between 66-70% in-state, but if for example they've accepted 34% out-of-staters when you interview, they're not going to refuse you.

The rest are at 90% state/10% out-of-state.

Are you sure about that BaylorLion? I thought Baylor had some agreement with the state that they have to accept xx% of TX residents to get state research funding.

You could be right. They do interview about half as many out of staters and I heard that once you get to the interview it's all fair game.

Not dead sure - heard it from a Baylor adcom member. Baylor definitely gives a preference to Texas residents, but they don't have the strict quotas that Southwestern, UT Houston and the rest do.

But I know for certain that the agreement with the state of Texas is not for research funding. The agreement is that state of Texas will pay 2/3 of the tuition for state residents, so that Baylor is the same price as the state schools for Texas residents. Michael DeBakey got it set up in the 1970s by arguing to the state legislature that Texas benefitted by having a strong private medical school and that Texas residents should be able to go to the private school for the same price. In theory, the state benefits by having fewer Texas residents go to Baylor in a given year, since it means they pay less money to Baylor for that class and those residents who choose not to go to Baylor will end up going to one of the state schools.

I got accepted as a California resident. I did my undergrad at a small school in West Texas, then grad school at UCLA.

TX schools must accept at least 90% TX applicants. Honestly, I would advise you only apply if you are a very competitive applicant. Hope this helps!

Would it matter if I was born and raised in Texas, but did my undergrad elsewhere? In other words, would they consider those facts even though I'm not currently a Texas resident?

bedpan commando, I think the answer to your question would depend on if your parents claim you on their taxes. If they claim you and they reside in tx, then you're still considered a tx resident, but if they don't claim you, then you're a resident where you currently reside. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's how it works.

Yeah, I'm definitely an Oregon resident. I'm just curious if my being a native Texan had any bearing on admissions.

Bedpan Commando said:
Yeah, I'm definitely an Oregon resident. I'm just curious if my being a native Texan had any bearing on admissions.

When I was studying in Texas, I was an international student (now w/green card). I guess the AdComs considered my studying in TX as an undergrad good enough.
I think they're just looking for some ties to TX and hoping you'll stay to practice in the state, which will spend a lot on your medical education. TX med schools are the cheapest in the country for in-state residents.
My advice is make sure they realize you have/had significant ties to the state through the TMDSAS application.

. . .that Texas is the coolest, bestest state on the planet- and they don't need anything or anyone from outside of their borders. Remember, at any time, ANY TIME, Texas could become it's own country and break away from the rest of us.

I love Texans (some of my best friends and frat bro's included) and yes, the above words have actually been said by a few of them.

Note to Texans who don't suck: I'm sorry if I'm offensive, just trying to poke a little humor at y'all. I'm from Illinois- feel free to rip on us, although we are obviously an inferior state. . . . .just ask any other Texan.

WhoooHoooo Texas Rocks !
-Vandyfox

When i think about Texas I think of dieing in the heat. How hot in the summer does it get there? Living in Mass I am almost dieing of the heat we are getting now.

Vandyfox said:
. . .that Texas is the coolest, bestest state on the planet- and they don't need anything or anyone from outside of their borders.

i seriously doubt the quantifiable measures of this statement :smuggrin:

in any case, it's not going to be harder than applying to CA schools. also, if it's anything like UHawaii, they will consider where you were born/raised...

I went to high school in MA. Now, I live in Texas. I had similiar thought about Texas before I came here four years ago. You know, the western movie and the TV show the Dallas. However, Texas is very diversity since I pretty much travel all over Texas.

It has four major cities: Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio.

Dallas is located in the Plain. Pretty flat. It is very metro, similiar to Atlanta. Very hip and stylish town. It is very hot between June and August, around 100F every day. But it has dry heat so it won't feel as hot. By the way, you probably see more Lexus than horse in Dallas.

Austin is my favor city in Texas. It is in what's called Hillcountry. It has very beautiful hill and Lake Travis is magic. It reminds me a lot of Northern California.

Houston is next to ocean. So it is very humid. Somewhat old industrial city. You can still see some oil drilling next to ocean. Remind me a lot of northeastern cities.

Never been to San Antonio. But I heard that it has strong military based and has a Sea World. So I probably will be there soon.

The good representative of western cowboy is probably Forth Worth and western Texas. Forth Worth is 50 miles western of Dallas and that's where most of TV show Dallas shot. Western Texas town like El Paseo has a lot more oil drilling. I think that's where older Bush made money over there.