do thank you notes make a difference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if thank you notes after interviews actually help?

Members don't see this ad.

They will be expecting it, and it will reflect poorly on you if you don't send thank you notes. Plus it's another chance to plug yourself and suck up.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They make a difference. And it's also a sigh of good etiquette.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

I agree. Often they are sent on to the interviewer, but a copy is placed in your admissions file -- and it DOES make a difference!

They certainly can't hurt. You'd write them regardless, right?

I forgot that I needed to so I sent a grand total of ZERO thank you notes, and was accepted to three schools (my stats are average). Let's face it folks, it's a nice jesture, but they aren't going to let you in because you wrote them a nice note!

Then again, it could make the difference for someone on the line, especially if the interview wasn't the greatest. Of course it will vary from school to school. Let's just say that at my school everyone wrote them, with the exception of very few.

I wrote them to each interviewer, including student interviewers. Also, at one school, a admissions receptionist went out of her way for me, answering questions and carting me across campus for a faculty interview. I sent her a note, too. Did it look like sucking up? Maybe. But I was sincere, and sounded like it in my note. I didn't send it to her, or the interviewers, really, not merely because it helped my chances, but because it is polite and they deserved them. Wouldn't you appreciate one if you took a day to spend with candidates?

I would definitely appreciate it. It's just common courtesy to send a thank you note for anything. For anyone getting a corporate job, schools teach interviewees to always send a thank you note for the interview. If it can work for business students, why not premedical students?

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!