Do the Editions of the Home Study Books Matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a college junior and I plan on taking the MCAT towards the end of this year (2012) or in January '13. I am tight on cash so I currently have an old 7th edition of the ExamKrackers books, which seems to have been published in 2007, and a collection of hand-me-down TBR books that seem to be similar to the ones on the site, but they don't have a publication date in them. I was wondering if these specific versions/editions of these books will suffice when studying for the MCAT later this year or early next year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering this too... I have some really old TBR books that someone gave me a million years ago (circa 2006) that I didnt bother looking at while studying this year bc I felt they were too old.

About BR: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=852061

Kaplan underwent a major change when they partnered with Scientific America a few years back.

TPR hasn't had any major revisions since becoming TPR Hyperlearning.

EK hasn't had any major updates since the 7th edition. Most of the EK 1001 series is quite old (some are over 10 years old), though still helpful for the basics. EK Verbal 101 technically got a new edition. However, for the new version, they just cut questions from the original version. The passages and remaining questions are the same as the old version.

Overall, I'd only recommend getting the most recent versions for BR since each of their science books have seen substantial updates in the past year or two.

So basically the EK books I have are okay to use, and I double-checked with the link above and the TBR books are the 2009, does that mean they are okay to use?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically the EK books I have are okay to use, and I double-checked with the link above and the TBR books are the 2009, does that mean they are okay to use?

For EK, except for Bio, I'd only suggest them if you have a strong background and only need a light refresher. For BR, I would pick up the new versions.

Well, I read on one of the threads here that EK is best for Bio and Verbal and that TBR is best for GenChem, Orgo, and Physics. I have picked up the EK 101 Verbal Passages to go along with the EK Bio, and I will probably just use the TBR books I have no since I don't have the cash to buy the newer versions of TBR GenChem, Orgo, and Physics. I hope that this doesn't mess up anything for my MCAT later this year or January '13, do you SN2ed?