Do the majority of 4 year institutions prepare students equally for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Easkan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if most U.S. colleges/universities prepare students equally for the MCAT, or if the level of preparation varies from school to school. The reason for why I am asking is because I currently attend a small private institution that so far has not challenged me a great deal. Because of how I am worried that the school that I am currently in may not prepare me well enough for the MCAT, I am considering transferring to another institution which boasts very high MCAT scores among their pre-med students which the school attributes to their academically rigorous curriculum. The person that gave me that information about the school that I am thinking of transferring to also told me that students who did not attend academically rigorous institutions ended up regretting it in medical school for how they weren't well prepared for the rigorous coursework that is found in med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Attending a more rigorous institution will most likely prepare you more for the MCAT when compared to your state school for example. However, I don't think it is that much of a difference that you need to transfer. As a side note, are there many pre meds at your school? If not, I think it would actually be easier to stand out and obtain recs if you stayed there.

Forewarning: my response moves a bit away from my original question.
I don't believe that the school that I currently attend has many pre-med students. I agree with you that I probably have an easier chance of standing out at my current institution. But, the college that I am considering transferring to boasts a more than 70% acceptance rate of pre-med students to med schools and they also make writing a priority throughout the four years through all disciplines which is a skill that I am very interested in improving during my undergraduate years.My in consideration college professor's are ranked among the top 20 in the country and offer many academic resources and opportunities not found where I currently attend. I am prepared to work hard during my undergraduate years but I am worried that by transferring to a school deemed very academically rigorous that my GPA might suffer thus endanger my chances of getting into medical school. My current school also offers me plenty of leadership positions in several academic and social organizations.

Of course it won't be equal. But if you feel like you school isn't preparing you well enough, then you just have to put in extra work outside school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think personal factors play a much larger role than the school. If you choose a school that is more rigorous, that won't make you more rigorous. Likewise, if you are stuck at a less challenging school, I believe you have the power to set the bar higher for yourself and achieve amazing things.

I went to a high school with fairly poor sciences and no computer science. That didn't hold me back, I took science classes at a local university (not a community college), and I was well prepared when I majored in sciences as an undergrad. The fact that I sought out opportunities to challenge myself probably helped my college applications.

If a college has a 70% success rate for MD applicants, that probably is mostly a reflection of who they accepted, not how they taught them. The quality of the education definitely plays a role, but I believe it is a smaller role.

In addition, if you feel like you are not being challenged enough, then you have more time to do other activities, which will actually help you stand out more. Plus, with concentrated study, most classes will get you the foundation that you need. If you feel like you are not prepared as well as most, allocate extra time, say a month or two, to review, and you should probably be on par.

Preparing for the MCAT is a beast on its own. Where you go to school does not matter at all. If you have gaps in knowledge, then they can be taken care of during your preparation.

Never rely on your school to prepare you whether for the MCAT or for your STEPs in the future.
You need to do all the work, and you have access to everything you need to accomplish that.

I think certain institutions may have science courses that are generally more centered around skills that are very useful for the MCAT, namely in the biological sciences. One of the skills the more research-based universities "have more" of is experimental analysis. The ability to read scientific journals and read figures, draw conclusions, etc, is can confer a great advantage--if one has more exposure to that and has a longer time to 'train that skillset', they will have an easier time on standardized tests that require that way of thinking.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the responsibility of the student to put in the work necessary and develop a cognitive skill set that is necessary for success in both standardized testing and graduate medical programs. A school can definitely grant more exposure to the way of thinking, but a student with less of that exposure has all the resources they need these days to train themselves (an analogy that comes to mind is training for a long marathon or triathlon - a trainer, gym, or team is not necessary as the physical endurance depends on the individual)

Undergraduate coursework doesn't really prepare you for the MCAT. Thinking that it does is a good way to find yourself with a 23-25 score.

I agree with a lot of folks here - and I think your question is a great one!
I don't think an undergrad program can prepare you to the point that you'd be ready to take the MCAT. It obviously helps to have the basic courses under your belt, but being basic courses most schools will probably have the same quality course. Whether you agree with that is fairly irrelevant in my mind though because what plays a much, much larger role is how hungry the student is to make a good score on the test. The student may not be that prepared from undergrad classes (either because of laziness, the fresh freedom of college, or poor professors for example) but undergrad courses aren't meant to prepare you for the MCAT (unless there's an MCAT undergrad course I haven't heard of), so the responsibility lies largely with the student.

Yes, as said above they all prepare you inadequately, so you must spend an entire semester/summer studying out of prep books. Do NOT transfer universities just to try and boost your MCAT score, do it to go somewhere you'll enjoy more (from the greater challenge, or whatever).

Also keep in mind there is probably a huge selection bias where students earn high MCATs because the college attracts more studious or standardized-testing gifted student (maybe evidenced by a high average SAT/ACT), not necessarily because it gives them better prep.

Reactions: 1 user