Do the short passage questions on the PCAT help your score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjmjoa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are 8 questions that come from passages for the Biology and Chemistry sections, and they don't count against your score, but if you get them right, do they add to your score?

If not, is there a point in even bothering doing them?

Members don't see this ad.

No. They are experimental questions. They neither help nor hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello I'm taking my pcat this coming week, I have been studying Dr. Collins like crazy for the past month and I was also wondering about the passages.. Some people say they are experimental but some say they might not be experimental this year.. They seem to take up a lot of time for me..

Members don't see this ad :)
i am also taking my exam this week.
I wish you luck! It's my first time taking the Pcat and I'm definitely nervous.. I agree with a lot of people on here that the math portion is ridiculous on the Pearson pre exams :(

I don't know, I took pcat in 2012 there was no passages in bio and chemistry. But in 2014 they introduced these passages. they just wanted to follow the MCAT question pattern i think. I am also nervous about it last time I got really good scores in chem and bio. Have to wait and see how i am going to score this time.... I think they are going to be easy as per my experience you should know about the topic so you can answer on your own.

I don't know, I took pcat in 2012 there was no passages in bio and chemistry. But in 2014 they introduced these passages. they just wanted to follow the MCAT question pattern i think. I am also nervous about it last time I got really good scores in chem and bio. Have to wait and see how i am going to score this time.... I think they are going to be easy as per my experience you should know about the topic so you can answer on your own.
Hmmm if you don't mind me asking why are you retaking the pcat? If you did well on it last time? And yah I hope
I do well on bio and chem and math I hope.. I just need a 70 percent tile and I will be okay.. Is that difficult to achieve? I mean of course I will try my hardest to get the highest score possible but I would be okay with a 70..

Hmmm if you don't mind me asking why are you retaking the pcat? If you did well on it last time? And yah I hope
I do well on bio and chem and math I hope.. I just need a 70 percent tile and I will be okay.. Is that difficult to achieve? I mean of course I will try my hardest to get the highest score possible but I would be okay with a 70..
Its manageable for most who have increased there score from 30-50s composite usually rise up around 60-70s. If you don't get a 70 this time, use this test to see what types of questions they ask and prepare for them appropriately. Good luck.

Does anyone know if the passage questions are still experimental on the PCATs? I'm taking them soon and it would definitely save me a lot of time knowing if they weren't going to be counted towards the score... Just wondering. Thank you!

Does anyone know if the passage questions are still experimental on the PCATs? I'm taking them soon and it would definitely save me a lot of time knowing if they weren't going to be counted towards the score... Just wondering. Thank you!
I believe those questions are experimental until 2016.