Do These Classes Count as Biology Labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thomas Hearns

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I need a year of biology with lab... do classes such as NPB (Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior) with labs, or Exercise Biology classes with labs fulfill the requirements? I'm trying to avoid taking botany :)

Members don't see this ad.

as far as i know...they do

Since I need a year of biology with lab... do classes such as NPB (Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior) with labs, or Exercise Biology classes with labs fulfill the requirements? I'm trying to avoid taking botany :)

It'll be school specific if they will take it so I can't say for certain. Try calling the admissions office at a couple of your top choice schools and see what they say. I've made this call on half a dozen "does this count as XX credit" questions and had great results/info - you don't even have to give your name if you won't want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
if they're in the biology department, they count. if they're not, you'll have to talk to schools on an individual basis.

At about 1/2 of the schools I applied to they do not count. They specified that courses such as physiology, anatomy, etc DO NOT COUNT because they want a year of GENERAL BIOLOGY.

But again it will depend on the schools you apply for - but to be safe I would take the general biology.

are you talking about fulfilling the prereq for biology + lab? because i'm pretty sure that's general bio and not your upper level ones. they'll look good on your app, but they want to see the lower level one as well.

I got it all sorted out! I'm happy now :) Seems that those classes do count... well not the EXB labs, but the NPB or the biochemistry... or microbio!

Well, for those of us that have credit for Gen bio and the labs from AP/IB classes, many schools want upper division labs. So, the labs would be to fulfill the prereqs, even though we've already gotten credit for a year of labs.