Do they allow shadowing psychiatrists? Has anyone ever shadowed a psychiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How was your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it's allowed, and yes I have shadowed a psychiatrist. He just asks the patients before bringing me in if they would mind. Of all the times i go only one patient ever says no. He mostly treats people with schizophrenia. The experience was great, you definitely get to see a wide range of problems and hear how each patient is managed differently (drugs, therapy, etc)

I work in a medical school's Dept. of Psychiatry and the only "observations" I'm allowed to do are in substance abuse in the program I work for. In my experience, very opposite of richse, psychiatrists are very guarded about patient confidentiality - as are all doctors, but in the instance of mental health things are handled differently. You're likely going to have a difficult time finding a psychiatrist willing to let you observe a psychotherapeutic session because of the effect it may have on treatment (even if the patient is comfortable with it). Consider options like urgent psychiatric care, like that of an ER, or in substance abuse :thumbup: but you're going to have to do a lot of asking around.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP: If you are anywhere near the Philadelphia area and have an interest in shadowing a psychiatrist (as I said above it's mostly schizophrenia patients) I can put you in touch with my boss. He is generally very happy to talk with students and bring them around for clinic. In the summer there is generally a high demand to shadow him but he keeps a rotation so most people get to go. I can't guarantee he will invite you to shadow but it might be worth a shot if you can't find another psychiatrist who is willing.

Also, you would need to become HIPAA certified but it's not really hard. Just some study materials and a few online quizzes.

How was your experience?

I shadowed a psychiatrist in an ER/in-patient setting for a year and half, once a week. It was an incredible experience, if you have the opportunity I highly recommend it. It's exciting, informative, and you get to see and hear a whole lot of discussion about medication issues.

I work in a medical school's Dept. of Psychiatry and the only "observations" I'm allowed to do are in substance abuse in the program I work for. In my experience, very opposite of richse, psychiatrists are very guarded about patient confidentiality - as are all doctors, but in the instance of mental health things are handled differently. You're likely going to have a difficult time finding a psychiatrist willing to let you observe a psychotherapeutic session because of the effect it may have on treatment (even if the patient is comfortable with it). Consider options like urgent psychiatric care, like that of an ER, or in substance abuse :thumbup: but you're going to have to do a lot of asking around.

This has been my experience as well. Hadn't thought of looking in the ER. In addition to what sarah said, you can probably scratch the chance of getting to shadow on an in patient unit, due to liability.

Two of my friends shadowed a psychiatrist who worked (in part) at a prison. It scared the bejeezus out of them and sounded awesome.

Two of my friends shadowed a psychiatrist who worked (in part) at a prison. It scared the bejeezus out of them and sounded awesome.
i shadowed a pediatric one on an inpatient unit. great experience.

I have shadowed both a child/adolescent psychiatrist and an adult psychiatrist (both on inpatient units), but I am a research assistant in a Behavioral Sciences lab and the PI I work with is a psychiatrist and he set me up with colleagues of his to shadow. The psychiatrists introduced me to the patient as a student and it was never a problem for me to shadow.