Do they average the MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

achino2

I had a quick question. Are MCAT scores averaged out? I plan on taking it in August and one April of 2006. I was wondering if I do bad on the August and I do well on the April exam, will it hurt my overall score? Thanks and good luck on all of your MCATS tommorow! :)

Members don't see this ad.

achino2 said:
I had a quick question. Are MCAT scores averaged out? I plan on taking it in August and one April of 2006. I was wondering if I do bad on the August and I do well on the April exam, will it hurt my overall score? Thanks and good luck on all of your MCATS tommorow! :)

It depends on the individual school. Each school has a different policy on multiple sets of scores. Some schools average them, some take the highest overall score, and some (Tufts comes to mind) take the highest score from each section. I am not sure, however, why you would be planning to take the test more than once? It's really not advisable to take the test more than once unless you absolutely have to raise your scores. You should aim to take the test only once and do really well.

Elphie said:
It depends on the individual school. Each school has a different policy on multiple sets of scores. Some schools average them, some take the highest overall score, and some (Tufts comes to mind) take the highest score from each section. I am not sure, however, why you would be planning to take the test more than once? It's really not advisable to take the test more than once unless you absolutely have to raise your scores. You should aim to take the test only once and do really well.

Also keep in mind that some schools will place the most weight on the most recent scores - - retaking should be fine as long as you have an upward trend.

do not waste your time and money taking it twice. That will also hurt your application. Plan on taking it once, and do it properly.