DO to GS & Post-Residency Merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD2DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current DO General Surgery residents or surgeons with advice/insight on how to set oneself up for success as a DO student on the GS path - especially in light of the post-residency merger? Any thoughts on whether the merger will significantly alter the GS match for upcoming DO applicants?

I understand that GS is a competitive specialty, and perhaps even more challenging for an osteopath to match into. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
use the search bar

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, can you be more specific? This is my first post on SDN...
Its cool, you'll just find all the info you need. Click the magnifying glass on the top right

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Be in the top half of your class, have a 230/550+ (240/600 is ideal), have research, and be prepared to audition your butt off.

Reactions: 7 users
Be in the top half of your class, have a 230/550+ (240/600 is ideal), have research, and be prepared to audition your butt off.

Thanks! I’m a “second-career” student and have shadowed general surgeons along with other physicians quite a bit - so I’m knowledge and set on going for GS. Have just been worried about whether that is attainable or not - as a DO in the post-merger world.

Yes it is a very doable goal for the motivated student. The majority of the DO programs made the merger, and more and more DO's match traditional ACGME programs every year.

I will say however, that GS is one of the last bastions of true DO bias, and even the best DO candidates need to be ok going to a community program because many of the university places will often take very average MD's before taking a great DO.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes it is a very doable goal for the motivated student. The majority of the DO programs made the merger, and more and more DO's match traditional ACGME programs every year.

I will say however, that GS is one of the last bastions of true DO bias, and even the best DO candidates need to be ok going to a community program because many of the university places will often take very average MD's before taking a great DO.

Thank you. I understand and can only hope that as the years continue post-merger, D.O. bias/prejudice steadily declines.

You’ve probably seen this study but I’ll post link here: A six year head-to-head comparison of osteopathic and allopathic applicants to a university-based, allopathic general surgery residency. - PubMed - NCBI

Reactions: 1 users