DO to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a new program ran by a foreign med school, UTSA. They have a DO to MD conversion program that requires no extra course work but it doesnt seem that the MD is valid in all the states, ie California. I was wondering if anyone else has seen their ad or knows more about it. Their web is http://dotomd.com/whyDOtoMD.cfm and the schools website is http://usat-edu.co.uk/dotomdprogram.html I logged into their website and it said it costs 25K and we get both our schools DO and their MD upon graduation. I was wondering also if anyone knows other Med schools that offer this option.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this doesn't answer your question as to whether anyone knows more about this program, or if there are any other programs, but.........

this is totally pointless

I tried to buy me a quick MD degree
I even had my credit card out and all
But that bogus website is so built by
some middle schooler that they forgot
to include on their site the means for
a potential customer (a.k.a. sorry D.O.)
to request their services :laugh:

Oh well...

I am calling the spam patrol on you buddy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Patient: Hi Dr. Smith. Where did you go to medical school?

Dr. Smith: I went to the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Patient: Hmmmm, then why do you have an MD. Doesn't Osteopathic Medicine mean you're a DO?

Dr. Smith: I bought my MD in the Caribbean.

Patient: Ummm Nurse, excuse me!! Can I have a new doctor, please? One that didn't buy his degree?

There is a new program ran by a foreign med school, UTSA. They have a DO to MD conversion program that requires no extra course work but it doesnt seem that the MD is valid in all the states, ie California. I was wondering if anyone else has seen their ad or knows more about it. Their web is http://dotomd.com/whyDOtoMD.cfm and the schools website is http://usat-edu.co.uk/dotomdprogram.html I logged into their website and it said it costs 25K and we get both our schools DO and their MD upon graduation. I was wondering also if anyone knows other Med schools that offer this option.

This is a joke, right?! That's even more stupid than DO's going back to allopathic school so they can get an MD. (I don't know if that's happened, but I've heard inquirations about the possibility).

Seriously though, this is a joke?

Ugh, if you don't want to be a DO, don't go to a DO school!!!!!!! I think thats easier than buying some ghetto MD after being miserable for 4 years wondering what everyone is going to think about your having the letters "DO" after your name!

Sorry OP--just sick of the bs.

Patient: Hmmmm, then why do you have an MD. Doesn't Osteopathic Medicine mean you're a chiropractor?

Fixed that for you.

You mean the following rather:

Tired said:

Patient: Hmmmm, then why do you have an MD. Doesn't Osteopathic Medicine mean you do it better than MDs

:cool:

I'm speechless on so many levels, infact my upper limbs are paralyzed and had to type this with my feet.

Do any of these threads ever remind anyone of Jeff Foxworthy's claim that the only reason people in the south get such a bad redneck rap is that they always put the most idiotic people they can find on the television and never the decent ones...[in the best female southern accent I can find] "it was pandelerium, the Jenkins house flew right over mine and all I could think of was that Carolyn still had my casserole dish"

Sometimes I think SDN is osteopathic medicine's television.

Hello my baby, hello my darling, hello my rag time gal.

Just thought I'd post because there's a helluva lot of NYCOM'ers in this thread.... :laugh:

Whoever started this company is a genius: they are preying on the insecure DO students who are willing to part with tens of thousands of dollars for a useless degree. The beauty of it is they don't even need a staff of more than one person and a computer in the basement; they "incorporate," all your DO training and use it to satisfy requirements. This is done for your benefit, mind you :laugh::rolleyes:

I'm assuming the OP realizes this is not legit in any country, especially not the United States.

I have a slightly off-topic question, since this thread has gone about as far as it needs to go:

In the resident forum, we were having a debate about a week ago about putting educational credentials after your name. I felt that it probably wasn't legal to put MD, DO, DDS, etc. after your name unless you were licensed to practice medicine/dentistry at least somewhere in this country. A couple of people chimed in saying I was way off base, and if you have the degree, you can put it after your name (even if you bought it online). I'm pretty sure this is incorrect.

A few years ago in Ohio, I believe, an oral surgeon got sued over this. Anyone unfamiliar with OMFS training, it comes in two options: 6 years residency incorporating 2 years of med school, so it grants an MD at the end, or option 2, a 4 year residency with no med school that result in a certificate. The important thing to take away from this is that in all 50 states, the DDS and the DDS/MD OMFS docs have the same practice rights.

With that said, this single-degree oral surgeon essentially bought an MD online from some Antiguan med school. he subsequently advertised himself as Joe Schmoe, DDS, MD. He was sued and forced to remove the MD after his name because he never did the 1 year of general surgery that dual degree OMFS do, therefore not being licensed with the Ohio medical board, or what have you. So even though he was licensed to practice in OMFS, wasn't trying to expand the scope of his practice with the MD, he was still forced to remove it. I think this goes to show you do in fact need to be licensed in order to put MD/DO after your name, not just have the degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh:...did anybody notice that the pictures of "doctors" on the webpage are the same ones used by SDN...lol

yeaaaaaaaaah Pansit is back!

that is a total scam. A+ work though. :laugh:

This is a joke, right?! That's even more stupid than DO's going back to allopathic school so they can get an MD. (I don't know if that's happened, but I've heard inquirations about the possibility).

Seriously though, this is a joke?

This is my word of the day ;)

#1 I leave the English teaching to my college roommate
#2 Speaking is much more fun when you make up words

Absolutely!
You're in good company. I think Lewis Carroll, T.S. Eliot and Ezra Pound would all agree.

I've heard attributed to Andrew Jackson and Mark Twain:
"It's a [darn] poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

Reasons no one knows what a DO is:

1-Most DO attendings don't put DO on their jackets or don't wear their white coats
A- They just want to be treated as equals and blend in
B- They can't or don't want to stand up to every single smurker and eye roller out
there
2-AMA and AOA are rivals not friends
A- Allo opened residency to fill their empty spot and take power from AOA not
because they all of a sudden fell in love with us.
B- They continue to sanction us but not out in the opened because they don't want to
be sued. they do it through advertising the MD brand, granting MD to anyone from
any third class school in the world, discriminating in residency and job offers.....

3-AOA is the DOs worst enemy and is just using us to make cash
A- They shun the ones that go to allo residency to punish them. whether it be not
licensing them in five major states(mi,fl..), not giving them office in the system,
not giving them time to go to their Allopathic residency interviews(just ask a 4th
yr), Changing their focus on basic sciences ie.pathetic biochem,pharm and path but
extra hard micro and anatomy from the USMLE norm so students only take
COMLEX and end up in their low quality, in the middle of nowhere residencies.
B- its not a democracy in our system. just look at the aoa's president's blog. he may act like he cares about what we have to say by playing nice but avoids every single concern that we have like for profit schools, ogme quality, puting the M in our degree....

C- Just to stay in power they have to emphesize their "differences":) OMT is a no good
modality of treatment, not research based, short term healing by stretching
muscle... every time i got treated by faculty it either didn't work or something else
broke:) or at least not as important as they make it out to be(there is a reason 5%
use it). And treating the whole patient is just an ad campaign, it means nothing, our
way of practicing is main stream, filling paper work and avoid being sued....
D- All of these issues cause us not to believe in our governing body and thats why
most of us don't participate, donate money or advertise our brand becasue we dont
believe in our "difference" ourselves so how are we gonna make others believe??

Being a DO is like being from a country with a totaliterian regime. As its citizens we have to pay the price, make the sacrifices, put up with sanctions, put up with constant questioning, hiding our true identities... and we have no saying in what direction we would like to take our lives and future in. And even if we venture to the land of the free we still have to explain our foriegn names and what we think about our government and basically FIGHT DISCRIMINATION FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES.

Good grief.
That's your opinion and good for you.

But, you've said many comments that are extreme and biased.

Reasons no one knows what a DO is:

1-Most DO attendings don't put DO on their jackets or don't wear their white coats
A- They just want to be treated as equals and blend in
B- They can't or don't want to stand up to every single smurker and eye roller out
there
2-AMA and AOA are rivals not friends
A- Allo opened residency to fill their empty spot and take power from AOA not
because they all of a sudden fell in love with us.
B- They continue to sanction us but not out in the opened because they don't want to
be sued. they do it through advertising the MD brand, granting MD to anyone from
any third class school in the world, discriminating in residency and job offers.....

3-AOA is the DOs worst enemy and is just using us to make cash
A- They shun the ones that go to allo residency to punish them. whether it be not
licensing them in five major states(mi,fl..), not giving them office in the system,
not giving them time to go to their Allopathic residency interviews(just ask a 4th
yr), Changing their focus on basic sciences ie.pathetic biochem,pharm and path but
extra hard micro and anatomy from the USMLE norm so students only take
COMLEX and end up in their low quality, in the middle of nowhere residencies.
B- its not a democracy in our system. just look at the aoa's president's blog. he may act like he cares about what we have to say by playing nice but avoids every single concern that we have like for profit schools, ogme quality, puting the M in our degree....

C- Just to stay in power they have to emphesize their "differences":) OMT is a no good
modality of treatment, not research based, short term healing by stretching
muscle... every time i got treated by faculty it either didn't work or something else
broke:) or at least not as important as they make it out to be(there is a reason 5%
use it). And treating the whole patient is just an ad campaign, it means nothing, our
way of practicing is main stream, filling paper work and avoid being sued....
D- All of these issues cause us not to believe in our governing body and thats why
most of us don't participate, donate money or advertise our brand becasue we dont
believe in our "difference" ourselves so how are we gonna make others believe??

Being a DO is like being from a country with a totaliterian regime. As its citizens we have to pay the price, make the sacrifices, put up with sanctions, put up with constant questioning, hiding our true identities... and we have no saying in what direction we would like to take our lives and future in. And even if we venture to the land of the free we still have to explain our foriegn names and what we think about our government and basically FIGHT DISCRIMINATION FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES.

Why don't you call the police and have them arrest the horrible, horrible person that put a gun to your head and forced you to attend a DO school?

If someone chooses to complain about being unhappy about the AOA, about the quality of the professions residency programs, or god forbid, the advocating of unlimited practice rights internationally and domestically, then please, go to a school with a different governing body. No one forces you to make your professional decisions.

Oh snap!

LOL... shinken, you beat me to it! :)

Doc Y... ya know what? I think you should purchase an MD degree. Why even wait to finish DO school, go find someone who will sell you one now. That way, you can stop being the ***** that makes the rest of us DOs look bad.
When you get out of jail, let us know how that degree is treating you.

I am not the enemy guys. Bashing what I have to say is easy, but deep down inside most of you agree with me. I know this not only by reading sdn but talkin to classmates and practicing DOs. I am very respectful of the way we have chosen to spend our youth, time and money but I feel that we deserve to be treated as equals. Is that so much to ask?? I have noticed that anyone with a different opinion or new idea is questioned why they are in a DO school or why they don't go MD. Well just like most of you I was sold on the idea of osteo med at some point during applying and felt that it was the best option that I had at the time. Now about a couple of years later and 100K poorer I realize that a lot of the schools claims and selling points were a mirage and sales pitches. Now I am not saying that I totally regret going DO but I think there is hugh room for improvemet. Its painful to see the obvious problems in the system but not being able to do anything about it because of the dictatorship. If they would give me my two years of life back then I would not even worry about the 100K and definitley take your kind advise and go the other route. Taking 2 boards each time around did not sound that bad when I was a premed granting that we had an
advantage over the carrib and fmgs but we don't. Comparing our allo match to their match, they get more competitive spots than us?? Is this because they all do exceptionally well on the boards or because of a nationwide discrimination against us?? I will let u decide on that for yourself

Comparing our allo match to their match, they get more competitive spots than us?? Is this because they all do exceptionally well on the boards or because of a nationwide discrimination against us?? I will let u decide on that for yourself

The reason there are a decent amount of FMGs in residencies like plastics, derm, ENT, etc. is because they are not Caribbean graduates. I challenge you to find me one Caribbean graduate who got into a plastics residency (not a fellowship post GS residency). There's about 1-3 derm matches from the Caribbean a year, out of thousands that graduate from all those schools.

The FMGs that do match into uber-competitive spots like the ones mentioned above are most likely already established in their specialty in their own country. They probably have multiple publications. I'm sure they have superior board scores as well.

Some hospitals consider FMGs=DOs, sure, but I can say with a decent amount of confidence that you'd be hard pressed to find a hospital that will consider FMGs > DOs. At worst, you are equals. At least you didn't have to spend 18+ months in a 3rd world country and attend a school that could care less if you flunk out.

I am not the enemy guys. Bashing what I have to say is easy, but deep down inside most of you agree with me. I know this not only by reading sdn but talkin to classmates and practicing DOs. I am very respectful of the way we have chosen to spend our youth, time and money but I feel that we deserve to be treated as equals. Is that so much to ask?? I have noticed that anyone with a different opinion or new idea is questioned why they are in a DO school or why they don't go MD. Well just like most of you I was sold on the idea of osteo med at some point during applying and felt that it was the best option that I had at the time. Now about a couple of years later and 100K poorer I realize that a lot of the schools claims and selling points were a mirage and sales pitches. Now I am not saying that I totally regret going DO but I think there is hugh room for improvemet. Its painful to see the obvious problems in the system but not being able to do anything about it because of the dictatorship. If they would give me my two years of life back then I would not even worry about the 100K and definitley take your kind advise and go the other route. Taking 2 boards each time around did not sound that bad when I was a premed granting that we had an
advantage over the carrib and fmgs but we don't. Comparing our allo match to their match, they get more competitive spots than us?? Is this because they all do exceptionally well on the boards or because of a nationwide discrimination against us?? I will let u decide on that for yourself

LOL...!

The reason there are a decent amount of FMGs in residencies like plastics, derm, ENT, etc. is because they are not Caribbean graduates. I challenge you to find me one Caribbean graduate who got into a plastics residency (not a fellowship post GS residency). There's about 1-3 derm matches from the Caribbean a year, out of thousands that graduate from all those schools.

The FMGs that do match into uber-competitive spots like the ones mentioned above are most likely already established in their specialty in their own country. They probably have multiple publications. I'm sure they have superior board scores as well.

Some hospitals consider FMGs=DOs, sure, but I can say with a decent amount of confidence that you'd be hard pressed to find a hospital that will consider FMGs > DOs. At worst, you are equals. At least you didn't have to spend 18+ months in a 3rd world country and attend a school that could care less if you flunk out.

Meatwad I appreciate your mature response. We should be able to talk to each other about issues and not resort to violence and name callings to scare each other off. I am not a troll or trouble maker, just like all of you an OMS.
I realized that you mentioned plastic and derm. Truth is that 95% of med students are not after those fields and just being competitive doesnt mean that everyone wants them. It just means that the app/spot ratio is high. I am talking about IM,ER,Anest,GS,OB.... basically anything mainstream but at a major research hospital and better locations. Where we train makes a difference in future hirings.

I am not saying that I wanna pack up and run and my issue is not with going to carrib schools. I am very happy with my training but thats half the battle.
We as Osteopathic Med students and doctors sould come clean with ourselves. We are either loving the DO designation which them in this case lets advertise it on our coats, business cards and curriculum vitaes.

Or we want a change and get in with the majority which is still very respectable.
Anything medicine is very stressfull. These issues are just extra strains and unnecessary. We should stand up for our rights and quit being happy with second hand opportunities and cheap handouts.

Meatwad I appreciate your mature response. We should be able to talk to each other about issues and not resort to violence and name callings to scare each other off. I am not a troll or trouble maker, just like all of you an OMS.
I realized that you mentioned plastic and derm. Truth is that 95% of med students are not after those fields and just being competitive doesnt mean that everyone wants them. It just means that the app/spot ratio is high. I am talking about IM,ER,Anest,GS,OB.... basically anything mainstream but at a major research hospital and better locations. Where we train makes a difference in future hirings.

I am not saying that I wanna pack up and run and my issue is not with going to carrib schools. I am very happy with my training but thats half the battle.
We as Osteopathic Med students and doctors sould come clean with ourselves. We are either loving the DO designation which them in this case lets advertise it on our coats, business cards and curriculum vitaes.

Or we want a change and get in with the majority which is still very respectable.
Anything medicine is very stressfull. These issues are just extra strains and unnecessary. We should stand up for our rights and quit being happy with second hand opportunities and cheap handouts.

On a serious note, I really think that you need to do some serious personal reflection regarding your current and future professional decisions.

You say you are not a troll, and yet you post a troll-like inflammatory thread using a new user id on a topic that revolves around getting a bogus degree from a no-name institution to supplement your U.S. medical education in order to give yourself more perceived "validity".

That in itself is highly insulting to the osteopathic medical profession, and to me, as an OMS. With that being said, I will not be entertaining any more of the OP's posts with my precious time.

It costs about $25,000. I wonder how many of us would actually spend the money.

Here are the details:

The Complete D.O. to M.D. Program process
Submit an application to the "DO to MD" program online through the http://www.dotomd.com website.

Submit a non-refundable application fee of $200.00 online at http://www.dotomd.com.

Submit the following documents to USAT, c/o Carla M. Konyk, 2288 Gunbarrel Road, Suite 111, PMB 244, Chattanooga, TN 37421

a. Authentic transcripts from any and all academic institutions, excluding high school.

b. Two (2) Letters of Recommendation written to the attention of USAT.

c. A police report/criminal investigation, less than six months old, from the applicant's current place of residence.

d. Certified copies of immunization records specifically for Hepatitis B and TB test.

e). A notarized copy of the face page of the applicant's passport. If the student/applicant has not received a passport at the time of application, then a notarized copy of their driver's license will be acceptable.

Immediately upon receipt of the student's application and application fee, the student will receive a confirmation via email from USAT.

Upon receipt of each and every required material listed above, administrative personnel from USAT will send the student an email verifying receipt and listing the remaining pending material needed in order to complete the student's application process.

Within one week (7 days), after all required material(s) are received by USAT, students will receive either an 'Acceptance' or 'Denial' notification concerning their application status with the USAT medical school. Note: Due to time factors concerning overseas mail, students will receive notification of their medical school application in two ways. First, students will be notified by email regarding the status of their application. Second, an official letter, either an acceptance or denial, will be sent by mail. It is crucial that students enter their correct email address. In addition, if a student changes his/her email address, then it is the student's responsibility to notify USAT of said change.

Upon the student receiving acceptance into USAT, students will register with USAT for a two-week USMLE review. [The USMLE review will be conducted either at the USAT Campus, Montserrat, West Indies or at the Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort in Antigua (www.grandroyalantiguan.com).] If a student attends the USMLE review in Antigua, the student will attend a luncheon hosted by USAT.

Attend the two-week USMLE review. The location of the USMLE review will be determined by the size of class and availability. NOTE: Each student attending a USMLE review will be responsible for any and all cost incurred as a result of airfare, lodging and meals to and from Montserrat. USAT has made arrangements with Tropical Mansion Suites (www.tropicalmansion.com) for students enrolled in the "DO to MD" program to enjoy a substantial discount on rooms and meals during their stay. For students attending the USMLE review in Antigua, USAT has made arrangements similar to those made for students attending the USMLE review in Montserrat.

Receive medical degree from USAT, AS SOON as the student has satisfied his/her academic, clinical, and financial obligations in full. In the event that a student completes the USMLE review BUT has not fulfilled his/her academic, clinical, or financial obligations, then the student will receive his/her medical degree within two (2) weeks of completing said requirements in full.

After receiving the medical diploma, the student will make application for ECFMG Certification.

Included with the ECFMG application, the student will submit two (2) photocopies of his/her final medical diploma to ECFMG. Photocopies of the medical diploma must be 216 mm x 279 mm (8 ½ in x 11 in). Copies of the medical diploma must be sent to ECFMG by either mail or courier service. Note: ECFMG does not accept documents by fax and/or email. Copies of the final medical diploma must be in the original language, noting the issuing date and all appropriate signatures from USAT. Documents not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation. ECFMG does not accept copis of any medical diploma that is not in English without an official English translation. Similarily, ECFMG will not accept an English translation of a diploma without copies of the original language document from which the English translation was prepared. ). If the student's medical diploma has not yet been issued, the student must send with the application a current color photograph and a letter signed by the student's Medical School Dean, Vice Dean, or Registrar that confirms that the student graduated from medical school, has met all requirements to receive student's medical diploma, and states the date (month and year) that student's medical diploma will be issued. It is the responsibility of the student to send photocopies of student's diploma to ECFMG as soon as the diploma is issued.

In addition to photocopies of the student's medical diploma, student's must send one full face color photograph. The photograph must be current and taken within six months.

Complete and submit Form(s) 344, ECFMG Medical Education Credentials Submission Form and two copies of Form 345, Medical School Release Request. These documents may be located at http://ecfmg.org/pubshome.html#creds.

When ECFMG sends the student's medical diploma to USAT for verification, ECFMG will request that USAT include the student's final medical school transcript when USAT returns the verification of the student's medical diploma to ECFMG.

If ECFMG is unable to obtain the student's final medical school transcript directly from USAT, ECFMG will contact the student and request that the student submit to ECFMG copies of the student's final medical school transcript. If ECFMG has previously verified your medical diploma with USAT but not the final medical school transcript, the student must send copies of the final medical school transcript to ECFMG. ECFMG will then send a copy of the final medical school transcript to USAT for verification. In such cases, the student must send two photocopies of your final medical school transcript to ECFMG. The photocopies of your transcript from USAT must be 216 mm x 279 mm (8½ in x 11 in). If these documents are larger than 216 mm x 279 mm (8½ in x 11 in), the student must send reduced photocopies that are 216 mm x 279 mm (8½ in x 11 in). The student must send the copies of your transcript to ECFMG by mail or courier service. ECFMG does not accept these documents by fax or e-mail.

The student must send one full-face color photograph with the copies of student's final medical school transcript. The photograph that the student sends must be current, i.e., it must have been taken within six months prior to the date that the student sends it. A photocopy of a photograph is not acceptable.

As with the medical diploma, the student must submit the copies of the final medical school transcript in the original language. Documents that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation. ECFMG will not accept copies of a medical school transcript that is not in English without an official English translation. Likewise, ECFMG will not accept an English translation of a transcript without copies of the original language document from which the English translation was prepared.

The name on student's medical diploma and medical school transcript must match exactly the name in student's ECFMG record. If the student's name does not match exactly, the student must submit legal documentation that verifies the name on the student's medical diploma/transcript that is (or was) the student's name. The legal documentation must show the student's name exactly as it appears on the student's medical diploma/transcript.

Finalize ECFMG Certification. There is no exact way to pinpoint down the exact time for ECFMG Certification. Note: There are two reasons why an ECFMG application will be denied. They are as follows: If you graduated from medical school and do not submit your medical diploma or a letter from your medical school, as described above, and this documentation has not been received previously by ECFMG, your application will be rejected and/or if the name on your diploma does not match the name in your ECFMG record and you do not submit acceptable legal documentation, your application will be rejected.

After receiving ECFMG Certification, register to take Part III (Step II CS) of the USMLE.

Student makes application to the match program to obtain the residency desired.

Here are the FAQ's. Enjoy.

Facts and Questions
How much is the application fee for the DO to MD Program at USAT?

All students must pay a non-refundable application fee of $200.00 USD to accompany the application package. Applications without the application fee will not be processed. Although the application fee is non-refundable, successful applicants to the "DO to MD" program will be able to apply the application fee towards their tuition.

What does the $25,000.00 tuition price cover?

As long as students remain current, the tuition price would include the graduation/degree certificate fee, fee for verification of transfer credits, one set of official transcripts, the two-week USMLE-format review and any clinical rotations (needed to complete the 80-week requirement) not covered by the students' previous DO program.

How can I contact USAT?

USAT c/o Carla M. Konyk, 2288 Gunbarrel Road, Suite 111, PMB 244, Chattanooga, TN 37421
Email: [email protected]
Inside the US: 1-727-388-2687
US Toll Free: 1-866-596-9577
Local (Montserrat) : 664-491-5364
Website address: www.usat-edu.co.uk
How can I contact Arlington Development Group, S.A.?

Please mail any correspondence to:

Attention: Arlington Development Group, S.A.
08322745 WTC, Suite #480
Panama City, Republic of Panama
Our package delivery UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.:

Calle 50, Edificio Plaza Credicorp Bank
Piso 22, Oficina 2202
Panama City, Republic of Panama
Telephone number: 1-904-257-2370

Is the University of Science, Arts and Technology, Montserrat (USAT) IMED listed?

Yes. Graduates of USAT are permitted to sit for the USLME Exams required for licensure. For more information, click here.

Is USAT on the US State Department list of recommended universities abroad?

Yes. USAT is included among the list of recommended Universities abroad by the US State Department.

Who are the primary faculty members at USAT and what are their credentials?

The faculty locally and abroad are: Dr. Krishmamurthy Gopal, MD, MBBS, Prof of Medicine and Associate Dean, College of Medicine. Dr. Gopal is board certified in Internal Medicine and Tropical Medicine. He is the Chief of Staff at Glendon Hospital, Montserrat. Professor Gopal coordinates hospital clinical instruction and lectures in Internal Medicine.

Dr. Asha Pal, MBBS. Dr Pal is Chief of Pediatrics at Glendon Hospital, Montserrat, and instructor in pediatrics and community medicine.

Dr. Ian Tolan, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry. Dr. Tolan earned his PhD at the University of the West Indies, specializing in Caribbean herbals. Dr. Tolan is an expert in General and Medical Biochemistry, and has conducted extensive research in the chemistry of Caribbean herbals. Dr. Tolan teaches the sequence in medical biochemistry and medical and molecular genetics.

Dr. John Glossop, Ph.D., Professor of Mathematics. Professor Glossop is a retired professor at the University of Surrey, and a dual resident of the UK and Montserrat. Professor Glossop is director of the Biostats program at USAT, and lecturer in Mathematics and provides instruction in medical ethics and biostatistics.

Dr. Orien L. Tulp, Ph.D, MD, F.A.C.N., C.N.S., Professor of Pharmacology and Nutritional Sciences, President of USAT, Professor Emeritus. Dr Tulp was a tenured professor at Drexel - MCP Hahneman Medical University, USA. He has extensive (over 25 years) academic experience in the area of medical education. He has held academic appointments at the University of Maryland in Europe, Drexel University, the University of Vermont, College of Medicine, Colby College, the University of Health Sciences, US Army, and others. He is a fellow of the American College of Nutrition and of the American Naturopathic Association, and is certified in clinical nutrition (C.N.S.). He holds several earned degrees, including doctoral degrees in Pharmacology and Medicine, an MS degree in Physiology and Biophysics, and undergraduate degrees (Associate, B.S.) in Medical and Radiographic Technology, and honorary degrees in Naturopathic Medicine and Oriental Medicine. Dr. Tulp has authored nearly 500 publications and presented over 400 invited lectures and presentations in his areas of expertise in the US and abroad. Dr. Tulp is a US citizen residing in the UK with secondary residence in Montserrat.

Dorothea Hazel, BSc, MSc. Ms. Hazel is an instructor in epidemiology and medical microbiology, with extensive training and experience as an Epidemiologist. She is a native of Montserrat and also holds appointment as the chief Epidemiologist for the Country of Montserrat.

Dr. Kathy Anderson, MD, DO, Professor of Dermatology, Tampa Medical Center, Florida. Dr. Anderson is a graduate of the New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, Portland, Maine. Dr. Anderson is board certified in Internal Medicine and Dermatology.

Dr. Lorn Miller, MD, DC, Adjunct Associate Professor of Neurology. Dr. Miller earned his chiropractic degree at Life University, Marietta, GA, and his MD degree at the Medical College of Georgia, followed by post graduate training in medicine and neurology at the Georgia Medical Center in Athens, Georgia. Dr. Miller is also an experienced chiropractic physician, and is Board certified in both clinical and chiropractic neurology. Dr. Miller also has extensive experience in Military Medicine, and will direct the clinical neurology program at USAT.

Dr. Adolph Poellman, MD, Clinical Professor of Medicine and Ophthalmology, Diplomat in International Medicine. Dr. Poellman is board certified in Ophthalmology, and a member of the Royal Society of Medicine. Dr. Poellman earned his MD degree at the University of Muchen, and undergraduate degree at the University of Erlangan in Physics. He completed his postgraduate training at the county Hospital, Tegernsee in Surgery. He has served on the staff of the Morefields Eye Hospital and presently owns his own eye clinic in Germany. He is a visiting professor here at the University and lectures in Advanced Medical Physics and Clinical Medicine.

Dr. Douglas A. Dunham, DO, MD. Clinical Professor of Family Medicine. Dr. Dunham is a graduate of the Ohio College of Osteopathic Medicine and the University of Science, Arts and Technology, and completed post graduate specialty training in Anesthesiology, Medicine and Cardiology. Dr. Dunham also holds appointments at the West Virginia County Medical Center ,Pittsburgh General Hospital, and Allegheny County Medical Center (PA) for over twenty years. Additionally, Dr. Dunham has over 25 years of experience in Military Medicine, and has served as Chief Surgeon, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He is a founder of the Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, and an experienced Federal Aviation Board Surgeon and consultant physician. Dr. Dunham's research is in clinical evaluation of new drug therapy where he has designed and conducted numerous trials.

What is the average class size at USAT?

25-35 per class meeting.

What percentage of the class is made up of U.S. Citizens or permanent residents?

99%.

What is the school's pass rate on the USMLE?

80%.

What is the acceptance rate for students applying to USAT?

90%

How does USAT prepare its medical students for the USMLE?

A two-week course, including but not limited to, lecture and USMLE style testing simulation.

Can graduates practice medicine in the Caribbean, or is this forbidden by law? Otherwise stated, where could a U.S. graduate practice medicine if return to the United States becomes undesirable or impossible?

Many of Caribbean countries share the same requirements as the U.S. It will have to be a case-by-case decision depending upon where the graduate intends to seek licensure.

Where will students stay while attending USAT?

The Tropical Mansion Suites is one of the finest and newest hotels on the Island of Montserrat. USAT has made arrangements for students of the "DO to MD" program to enjoy a substantial discount on rooms and meals during their stay. More details are available at: www.tropicalmansion.com. For students attending the USMLE review in Antigua, USAT has made arrangements similar to those made for students attending the USMLE review in Montserrat.

Is transportation to Montserrat, lodging and meals included in the $25,000.00 fee?

No. Students are responsible for any and all cost incurred as a result of transportation to and from Montserrat, lodging while in Montserrat and meals. It is anticipated that lodging expenses will range from $58.00 - $91.00 USD per night. Meals at the hotel range between $20.00-$30.00 USD per day.

Who is responsible for making all housing/staying arrangements for students?

Students will be guided by the USAT Admissions team to reserve their place in the class, flights, transport, accommodation, and other details regarding their stay. For questions, please contact Tracy Scipio or Michelle Giles at 1-727-388-2687.

Are student loans available to students?

At this time, Federal student loans are not available; however, students are offered a choice of payment options including loans through the TFC Finance Corporation in NY, which is among the oldest student loan lenders in the USA. Interest rates vary from around 5 to 8%.

What payment plans are available to students?

Medical students attending USAT will have several options to pay all monies required in order to receive their M.D. degree. The options available are as follows:

1). Pay the full amount ($25,000) immediately following acceptance into the DO to MD program at USAT.

All monies must be paid through the "DO to MD" website, unless you are utilizing a student loan which requires monies to be paid directly to USAT.

2). Immediately following acceptance into the 'DO to MD' program at USAT, pay $8,000 down with the balance being paid in seventy-two (72) monthly installments of $255.00.

*Note: Very low interest of 2.5% will be charged against the outstanding loan balance during the time the student is making monthly payments.* Students choosing payment option #2 will not receive their M.D. degree until such time as the entire program fee has been paid in full.

3). Pay $5,000.00 down immediately following acceptance into the DO to MD program at USAT, with the balance being paid in fifty-seven (57) monthly installments of $395.00.

*Note: Low interest of 5% will be charged against the outstanding loan balance during the time the student is making monthly payments.* Students choosing payment option #3 will not receive their M.D. degree until such time as the entire program fee has been paid in full.

4). Pay $2,500.00 down with the balance being paid in fifty-six (56) monthly installments of $498.00.

*Note: Interest of 9.75% will be charged against the outstanding loan balance during the time that the student is making his/her monthly payments.* Students choosing payment option #4 will not receive their M.D. degree until such time as the entire program fee has been paid in full.

Students choosing the student loan option will begin making payments within 30 days of their acceptance of "DO to MD" program.

*Note: Any student failing to make two consecutive payments will be dropped immediately from the "DO to MD" program. Any and all monies paid towards the M.D. degree will automatically be forfeited.*

Do students have to apply to the ECFMG (Educational Commission Foreign Medical Graduates)?

Yes. If a student wishes to be recognized as a M.D., it is essential that he/she obtains the ECFMG Certification.

Are students required to take the two-week USMLE review?

A two-week USMLE review is included in the $25,000.00 fee. However, if a students does not wish to participate in the USMLE review or has taken an additional USMLE review, then the student is not required, however the student is encouraged to participate in the USMLE review offered. No discount from the original $25,000.00 fee will be given in the event that a student chooses not to participate in the USMLE review offered at USAT. It is important to note that if a student chooses not to participate in the USMLE review, he/she is still REQUIRED to travel to USAT in order to finalize any and all necessary paperwork in order to receive their medical degree.

What dates are slots currently available for the USMLE review?

August 4-18, 2007
September 8-22, 2007
October 6-20, 2007
November 3-17, 2007
2008 slots to be announced October 1, 2007.

I think this thread has run it's course.

Closing

And as SyRem posted above, please keep in mind the MD vs DO rules. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.