do today's mcat question of the day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I use mcatquestionaday, which appears to be the same as mcatquestion.

I use mcatquestionaday, which appears to be the same as mcatquestion.

Well, same style, but definitely different questions. Mcatquestion has been around a lot longer.

The other website I used to use was the Kaplan 20 minute MCAT test, but that one updated a lot less frequently than once a day.

I spend like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to solve this problem. Physics gives me anxiety no matter how much I study. At the end, I figured out how to do it based on intuition and no math calculations. I just thought about how it needs to be balanced and where to attach the rope. I know if I attached it too close to the smaller mass it wouldn't be balance. I knew it needed to be closer to the larger mass but not to close, so I came up with C. 4 m. I really need to figure out a better way to handle these physics problems. The answer could have easily been 4.5 m but I guessed that "C." was a far better estimate.

I spend like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to solve this problem. Physics gives me anxiety no matter how much I study. At the end, I figured out how to do it based on intuition and no math calculations. I just thought about how it needs to be balanced and where to attach the rope. I know if I attached it too close to the smaller mass it wouldn't be balance. I knew it needed to be closer to the larger mass but not to close, so I came up with C. 4 m. I really need to figure out a better way to handle these physics problems. The answer could have easily been 4.5 m but I guessed that "C." was a far better estimate.

Just did this question. I thought it was fairly simple and I have not covered physics yet.

you guys are a day late! :p

Draw a picture. Label the board as length 5m, and the distance from left end to rope as "x", and the other side as "5-x". Attach the weights. Now use torque.

5kg*g*x = 20kg*g*(5-x)

Now solve for x.

Draw a picture. Label the board as length 5m, and the distance from left end to rope as "x", and the other side as "5-x". Attach the weights. Now use torque.

5kg*g*x = 20kg*g*(5-x)

Now solve for x.

Thanks. Honestly, I was using torque but I kept stopping myself and repeating my steps because I felt I wasn't setting it up correctly. Physics really gets to me. I make the same dumb mistakes every time.

todays question was pretty easy, i missed yesterdays question but im guessing it was pretty hard? This one was just a simple torque question..the way you guys talked about it i thought it was crazy hard and second guessed myself at first then read that the post was a day old, hah