do tour-guides have a say in your admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephie3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys..i was just wondering if the students who give tours at interviews sit in on the admissions process or have a say on it or anything

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys..i was just wondering if the students who give tours at interviews sit in on the admissions process or have a say on it or anything

I don't have an answer for you. But how much time did you spend with your tour guide?

i've heard of students what volunteer to give tours and help out get to voice an opinion but NOT VOTE.

Members don't see this ad :)

Some of the schools I visited directly told our group that we can all relax because tour guides are not there to evaluate students.

If I thought someone was exceptional in either the "for" or "against" column I would definitely mention something, but I have no idea if that would have any effect or not.

When I interviewed at Michigan last cycle, they flat out told us at the beginning of the tour that they had no input into any decision.

I give tours here at USC, and there is no formal way of giving any input, although I'm sure I could if there was a disaster of a dental student waiting to happen one his/her interview guard was down.

Just stay professional, but ask the questions that you need answers too. A lot of times its nice to ask the same questions to both faculty/admissions people and students so you can get answers from both perspectives. Use the tour to get honest answers from a student.

At VCU the student who gives you a mini tour/takes you to lunch is involved in the selection process. They fill out an evaluation form right after your meeting with them. The admissions dean warns you about this at the beginning of the day so you don't get too cozy with your student interviewer. It's very low stress, but they do have some say on your status.

Scott

At MUSC some students are on the ADCOM. You eat lunch with them and other students and the interviewers and then a couple take you on a tour, but they don't tell you which ones are on the Committee

Chund's spot on - MUSC students you have lunch and tour with are on the ADCOM and have a vote. So if you still have to interview, don't be a wallflower during lunch and the tour. Have questions ready for them.

I was going to say no but Im sure if the student is going to be a disaster and the tour guide told adcoms this, it might influence their decision but I think for the most part, tour guides dont decide or have a lot of influence.

I would say to be on the safe side and assume from the moment you step on campus, everyone has a say. That way you can avoid putting your foot in your mouth. At my school, if someone is exceptionally nice/excited about coming here or if someone is exceptionally rude/mentions that we are their backup school then the admissions committee hears about it - sometimes it's the tour guides, sometimes it's a student that you have lunch with that will provide that information to them. It may or may not make a difference what we say, but why take the chance?

at stony brook the tour guide was the assistant dean of admissions and she does not introduce herself as such. I would say YES!! Almost more so then the interviewer. ask questions look interested and confidant.

At NYU the tour guide was also the director of admissions. She has a very big say on who goes in. Yes, the tour guide gives input on students. Not every school as is seen in the above posts, but these two, YES

At NYU the tour guide was also the director of admissions. She has a very big say on who goes in. Yes, the tour guide gives input on students. Not every school as is seen in the above posts, but these two, YES

Cool move!
----------

Respect/disrespect towards a tour guide translates into respect/disrespect for the school in question. Make them mad enough and you can bet it will make a difference even if their are "only" students.

oops. :laugh: so talking about how you think NYU is your lowest backup school in front of her is probably not good eh? haha

I give tours there and also participate in the social the night before at UNC and I can honestly tell you that we are not asked our opinions of any interviewee. We are simply there to be an example of the school, to relax you before interviews, and to show you our facilities.

At Louisville the student tour guides will interview you.

At Louisville the student tour guides will interview you.
Yea, I found it a little weird that the student interviewers also ate lunch with us. And we had no prior knowledge that they would be interviewing us.

I didn't even know my interview had started at Louisville. The student interviewer led me into a room and I just assumed we were waiting for my interviewer to come. We just shot the breeze laughing at jokes and then out of nowhere he asks "why dentistry?" I was like "is this my interview?"

I have given many a tour to interviewees, and can honestly say that I have not given any feedback to the adcoms once. I mainly tell them this so that they will lighten up and enjoy the tour.

Giving tours rocks because at Pacific you get a free lunch ticket, which in the words of Borat, is "very niiice"

At UF 2 out of the 3 student tour guides interviewed some people and were voting members of the committee.