DO transfer to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoxyDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows which MD schools will consider accepting DO students? In what year does such a transfer usually occur? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Transfers in medical school are only INTO the third-year. Most med schools require that a student complete at least 50% of his work in that school before graduating. It's kind of a stupid rule considering that transfers are only considered into the third-year class, but that's the official rule.

The only US MD school that comes to mind which allows DO transfers is George Washington University in DC.

I don't know of any school in particular, but I do know they want to hear a damn good reason for transfering between allipathic and oseopathic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rpames:
•I don't know of any school in particular, but I do know they want to hear a damn good reason for transfering between allipathic and oseopathic.•

what is the deal with this? they're both doctors.

Actually, any school wants a damn good reason for transferring, regardless of if it's DO to DO, MD to MD, or DO to MD...it's not like undergrad where you can just say "Well, I'm tired of this school, let's try a new one."

In addition to what Tim mentioned, I also know that the University of Oklahoma and the University of Indiana will consider transfers from DO programs, but, again, your reason has to be compelling. Generally speaking, just saying, "Well, I'm a state resident, and if you let me transfer I'll save 10 grand a year" isn't going to cut it.

Basically, the answer is yes, it is possible to transfer DO --> MD, but not likely.