1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

DO transfer to MD

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by FoxyDoc, Oct 29, 2001.

1. FoxyDoc

FoxyDoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone knows which MD schools will consider accepting DO students? In what year does such a transfer usually occur? Thanks for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Transfers in medical school are only INTO the third-year. Most med schools require that a student complete at least 50% of his work in that school before graduating. It's kind of a stupid rule considering that transfers are only considered into the third-year class, but that's the official rule.

The only US MD school that comes to mind which allows DO transfers is George Washington University in DC.

4. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I don't know of any school in particular, but I do know they want to hear a damn good reason for transfering between allipathic and oseopathic.

5. dvdrv31

dvdrv31 Member
    7+ Year Member

what is the deal with this? they're both doctors.

6. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

Actually, any school wants a damn good reason for transferring, regardless of if it's DO to DO, MD to MD, or DO to MD...it's not like undergrad where you can just say "Well, I'm tired of this school, let's try a new one."

In addition to what Tim mentioned, I also know that the University of Oklahoma and the University of Indiana will consider transfers from DO programs, but, again, your reason has to be compelling. Generally speaking, just saying, "Well, I'm a state resident, and if you let me transfer I'll save 10 grand a year" isn't going to cut it.

Basically, the answer is yes, it is possible to transfer DO --> MD, but not likely.