DO underdogs from last year..share your stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I know a lot of people are feeling down this cycle (not going to lie one of them is me), so if any underdog applicants still lurk this forum, share your experience last year, when you got your interviews, any failure/success you had, whatever. I'm sure me and a lot of others would be grateful.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I would be very grateful to see some fresh entries from last cycle's UDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check my MDApps.

My first interview invites were today, one year ago... and then I went on to receive three more before I withdrew all my applications. It is definitely too early to be feeling down because the game has only just begun.

well the UD thread only says so much about a person..we dont know their ECs or other aspects of their app.

I applied to MD and DO last year with only 1 MD interview at a decent school. My sGPA was below the cutoff :(. But now it's not :) Definitely excited to get some DO acceptances..gotta be confident right?

I applied to MD and DO last year with only 1 MD interview at a decent school. My sGPA was below the cutoff :(. But now it's not :) Definitely excited to get some DO acceptances..gotta be confident right?

i followed your progress..your mcat/ecs is ownage

I would love to hear from any UDs like me who have a low GPA and a low MCAT.

Yea I've got this feeling in the pit of my stomach that I won't get any interviews and no acceptances. I'm currently waiting for my MCAT score and that itself is killing me because I don't think I did very well. Idk some great stories might make me feel slightly better about my situation.

Yea I've got this feeling in the pit of my stomach that I won't get any interviews and no acceptances. I'm currently waiting for my MCAT score and that itself is killing me because I don't think I did very well. Idk some great stories might make me feel slightly better about my situation.

I can relate to that... I have a 24 MCAT and even though my GPA is pretty high (3.77), I feel like I'm not going to get any love. I have already been denied by 2 schools and people who were verified after me have already gotten interviews. 15 schools left... all I need is one.:xf:

I can relate to that... I have a 24 MCAT and even though my GPA is pretty high (3.77), I feel like I'm not going to get any love. I have already been denied by 2 schools and people who were verified after me have already gotten interviews. 15 schools left... all I need is one.:xf:

who was the other school that denied you besides rvu? and my stats are lower than yours :oops:

your GPA shows you are capable of doing better on the MCAT. Don't you think a retake would be worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel you, I have a 3.65 and a 22R :( I retook the MCAT today and I am scared. All I need is one school to take a chance on me and I know I will be successful!

You can read my MDapps as well. I am a underdog reapplicant, the best thing to remember is that you have to keep improving your app... every chance you get. For me, I already had a lot of clinical exposure from being an EMT, I got shadowing under my belt, took a graduate level pathophys class. The real ah-ha moment came when I kicked ass in my Junior year, when I took O-Chem, phys, genetics, ect... When I realized that I could do well in tough classes I told myself that I wouldn't settle for anything. Just keep that mindset while you are applying, and apply early.

You can read my MDapps as well. I am a underdog reapplicant, the best thing to remember is that you have to keep improving your app... every chance you get. For me, I already had a lot of clinical exposure from being an EMT, I got shadowing under my belt, took a graduate level pathophys class. The real ah-ha moment came when I kicked ass in my Junior year, when I took O-Chem, phys, genetics, ect... When I realized that I could do well in tough classes I told myself that I wouldn't settle for anything. Just keep that mindset while you are applying, and apply early.

Yeah thats the one thing I feel like I have going for me. I'm starting my senior year now and taking classes I know I can get As in, volunteering, getting more leadership experience. I feel like if I can get on a waitlist somewhere with my ****ty stats now I could get off the waitlist and accepted in the spring by showing them I'm improving.

who was the other school that denied you besides rvu? and my stats are lower than yours :oops:

Touro-NV... That was my own fault for applying to them without knowing you need a 25 to get a secondary. Nevertheless, still sucks.

Angldrps-

That's the thing, man... I have taken this test 4 times :diebanana:
I've never had test anxiety before but for some reason with this test my mind just gets crippled. I saw a counselor this time around and my score went up significantly but still a few points less than my average on practice tests. I know I can do better... I am just so over that test.

Sasha-

Good luck, bud! I hope your test scores come back what you're hoping for. Trust your preparation! :luck:

Hey guys, I'm feeling pretty discouraged. I've been complete at several schools for a while now and I'm getting no love. Is it safe to assume that they're not interested or is it still too early in the cycle? My worry is that applying early wasn't much of a benefit for me if I keep getting passed over for people with better stats despite them applying after I did. I can't help but feel that even if I do eventually get an interview or two, it will just end up being for a waitlist spot anyways. Ugghh.

Hey guys, I'm feeling pretty discouraged. I've been complete at several schools for a while now and I'm getting no love. Is it safe to assume that they're not interested or is it still too early in the cycle? My worry is that applying early wasn't much of a benefit for me if I keep getting passed over for people with better stats despite them applying after I did. I can't help but feel that even if I do eventually get an interview or two, it will just end up being for a waitlist spot anyways. Ugghh.

i think it's still way early man...it's only mid august, interviews can happen when you least expect it.

i think it's still way early man...it's only mid august, interviews can happen when you least expect it.

I really hope you're right man. As a fellow Underdog, I'm definitely rooting for you. We'll see how things pan out :xf:

Its still very, very early in the cycle. I would worry if its Nov-Dec, and you still haven't heard anything. Plus, your stats are good enough to show you some love. Best of luck:xf:

Its still very, very early in the cycle. I would worry if its Nov-Dec, and you still haven't heard anything. Plus, your stats are good enough to show you some love. Best of luck:xf:

i agree with this, most schools have only sent out a small amount of interviews and of course those go to the SDN super applicants first. the new school alabama hasnt even started interviewing, either has wcu and a few others. LMU JUST started and campbell hasnt sent out many invites yet. it's still pretty early imo. I would think we would both AT LEAST get one interview somewhere.

i agree with this, most schools have only sent out a small amount of interviews and of course those go to the SDN super applicants first. the new school alabama hasnt even started interviewing, either has wcu and a few others. LMU JUST started and campbell hasnt sent out many invites yet. it's still pretty early imo. I would think we would both AT LEAST get one interview somewhere.

Just gotta wait things out, I guess. I feel better, thanks a lot guys. Also, I just saw that ATSU-SOMA started sending II out and one of the people who got one is an Underdog with very similar stats! Oh man, this wait is grueling haha.

Just gotta wait things out, I guess. I feel better, thanks a lot guys. Also, I just saw that ATSU-SOMA started sending II out and one of the people who got one is an Underdog with very similar stats! Oh man, this wait is grueling haha.

Just hang in there! Its probably discouraging to see everybody getting II's but the UD's time will come. It will just be a little later than people with higher stats! Dont stress too much!

Good thread, Mr. Smalls

Ladies and Gentlemen, interviews are finally coming for the average applicants and maybe some underdogs very soon. I know this because I'll be in Vegas the 17th-22nd celebrating for all of us and I'm not leaving without a darn invite!

I have not submitted my application yet and still have hope with my subpars GPAs (3.2c, 3.35s). The MCAT willl make me or break me...hoping to be in the upper 20s.

Yes my friend, as I have told you many times don't worry you are going to be fine. :D

I was a fellow underdog like all of you last year. I had a 3.2science /3.2overall GPA with a28 MCAT. I know that made me a border line underdog, but I was still classified as one per DrHockey's criteria using the LizzyM method.

I do get how you all are feeling. I remember thinking that I was not going to get a single interview and then I got 10! I attended 7 of the interviews and was accepted at 6. I just started med school at WesternU. I should really be studying anatomy instead of making this post, but my best friend is a fellow underdog like the rest of you and has posted in this thread so I decided to give you all some information about me.

Basic Parts of my Application:

1) UC Davis (Major was Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior) Minor in Psychology
2) Upward trending GPA
3) 28 MCAT
4) 3.2 GPA science/ non science
5) 1.5 years of experience as an EMT after graduating
6) I created a project, and had one my Professors help me with.
7) Very little research, but I sold it the best I could in my application
8) Volunteered in Hospitals (Not much though, maybe only 40 hours throughout college)
9) Two Letters of Rec. from DO's (No MD LOR)
10) Rock solid Personal Statement (I went though like 20+ Drafts, best piece of Literature I ever wrote)

That is all I can really think of in terms of my experiences/ qualifications for DO school.

Advice I have for all of you:

1) Be careful in what you submit in your secondaries. Don't write crap just to send it in early. Write the best possible essays that you can. This usually takes a long time, up to several weeks and maybe up to 5-10 drafts. However, once you are done, the essays that you worked on can be used at many different schools.

2) Every secondary should have a long and short version for the requirements for both schools. The long version should be excellent, but the short version must be phenomenal (this is easy to do, just take the best parts out of your long versions.)

3) Don't panic when you are writing your secondaries, try to relax and write about real experiences you had. Real experiences trump fake ones because you usually can talk about them in more detail. Moreover, the more detail you have about a personal event, the more genuine and unique it sounds.

4) Call the schools you have applied to after a week or so. Make sure they have your secondary and have begun reviewing it. For some reason after continually pestering a few schools on the phone, those are the ones I received interviews at. Who knows, maybe it does help.

This is all I have time to write about now. I'll write some more in the next few days. If anyone is interested in my story or wants more details please ask me in this forum or PM me.

I was a fellow underdog like all of you last year. I had a 3.2science /3.2overall GPA with a28 MCAT. I know that made me a border line underdog, but I was still classified as one per DrHockey's criteria using the LizzyM method.

I do get how you all are feeling. I remember thinking that I was not going to get a single interview and then I got 10! I attended 7 of the interviews and was accepted at 6. I just started med school at WesternU. I should really be studying anatomy instead of making this post, but my best friend is a fellow underdog like the rest of you and has posted in this thread so I decided to give you all some information about me.

1) UC Davis (Major was Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior) Minor in Psychology
2) Upward trending GPA
3) 28 MCAT
8) Volunteered in Hospitals (Not much though, maybe only 40 hours throughout college)
10) Rock solid Personal Statement (I went though like 20+ Drafts, best piece of Literature I ever wrote)

That is all I can really think of in terms of my experiences/ qualifications for DO school.

1) Be careful in what you submit in your secondaries. Don't write crap just to send it in early. Write the best possible essays that you can. This usually takes a long time, up to several weeks and maybe up to 5-10 drafts. However, once you are done, the essays that you worked on can be used at many different schools.

2) Every secondary should have a long and short version for the requirements for both schools. The long version should be excellent, but the short version must be phenomenal (this is easy to do, just take the best parts out of your long versions.)

3) Don't panic when you are writing your secondaries, try to relax and write about real experiences you had. Real experiences trump fake ones because you usually can talk about them in more detail. Moreover, the more detail you have about a personal event, the more genuine and unique it sounds.

4) Call the schools you have applied to after a week or so. Make sure they have your secondary and have begun reviewing it. For some reason after continually pestering a few schools on the phone, those are the ones I received interviews at. Who knows, maybe it does help.

This is all I have time to write about now. I'll write some more in the next few days. If anyone is interested in my story or wants more details please ask me in this forum or PM me.

Great advice from someone who had ample success last cycle :thumbup:

and a little hope for my fellow UDs this cycle, just got my lecom-b II for aug 29th : )

I visited a school last week and they told me they probably weren't even going to start reviewing apps until the end of August. It's still early.

I visited a school last week and they told me they probably weren't even going to start reviewing apps until the end of August. It's still early.

What school was that?

yeah guys, stay upbeat and confident in yourselves. it is super early and anything can happen.

2) Upward trending GPA
3) 28 MCAT

Wow, just when things were looking grim, look who shows up! Mr. Underdog All Star himself hahah. Thanks a lot for the support man! This is great info. I'm sure everyone here really appreciates it. I hope you're having a blast in school. Now get back to studying!

Great advice from someone who had ample success last cycle :thumbup:

and a little hope for my fellow UDs this cycle, just got my lecom-b II for aug 29th : )

That's great news! Congrats man!

Congrats on the secondary ColeSmalls!

I'm not applying this cycle but I'm an aspiring underdog...doing a post Bacc year coming up and applying next cycle. Great thread!

Are you Cole, or anyone else here, applying to MD schools as well? Just wondering because I'd love to see your guys progress with MD apps as well.