Do urology residents have more opportunities to use the robots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Habeed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I watched some videos on OR-live that had surgeons using the Da Vinci surgical robot. It looked INCREDIBLY cool...especially how the robot "hand" can grab stuff and pretty much do everything you could with your own hand...just it is tiny and doesn't tremble at all.

By comparison, I saw a gastic bypass where an "expert" surgeon was using laproscopic tools. The tool ends were trembling quite a bit. Maybe only a millimeter or two of actual movement, but it certainly reduced the accuracy of everything he did.

I noticed that the surgeon could actually sew using a regular needle, and tie knots and everything.

I read on a urology site that for some reason urology adopts the latest laproscopic and robot-assisted laproscopic techniques more often.

Does this trickle down to residents, or do training institutions tend to make the residents learn the "old ways", even if said old ways become completely obsolete in the next 20 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I watched some videos on OR-live that had surgeons using the Da Vinci surgical robot. It looked INCREDIBLY cool...especially how the robot "hand" can grab stuff and pretty much do everything you could with your own hand...just it is tiny and doesn't tremble at all.

By comparison, I saw a gastic bypass where an "expert" surgeon was using laproscopic tools. The tool ends were trembling quite a bit. Maybe only a millimeter or two of actual movement, but it certainly reduced the accuracy of everything he did.

I noticed that the surgeon could actually sew using a regular needle, and tie knots and everything.

I read on a urology site that for some reason urology adopts the latest laproscopic and robot-assisted laproscopic techniques more often.

Does this trickle down to residents, or do training institutions tend to make the residents learn the "old ways", even if said old ways become completely obsolete in the next 20 years.

These days everyone gets console time with the robot. It's a common place thing.

At my local program the senior residents use the robot.