Do USMLE scores matter for US Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gronk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a plastics trainee in Australia thinking of doing a plastics fellowship/s in the US in 2013. I need to do my USMLEs in order to be able to apply for these fellowships. Does it matter what score I get in each Step or do I just have to pass. In particular, with regards to the Microsurgery Fellowship match, will the USMLE scores affect my chances?
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've asked a nephrologist in our hospital and he said the competitive fellowships don't look at your USMLE score per say but letters of rec, connections, residency program, interview do matter.

Thanks Funky, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I can really only afford a little time to devote to studying for my USMLEs as I have my fellowship exam (FRACS) to start studying for sitting next year,
Cheers

Thanks Funky, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I can really only afford a little time to devote to studying for my USMLEs as I have my fellowship exam (FRACS) to start studying for sitting next year,
Cheers

I think that the advice above was more for people who are doing their residency training in the US, so I wouldn't assume that your USMLEs aren't very important based on that (with the exception being that if your mentors are highly connected with a particular US program).

Scores don't matter, they just want it so you can bill (in the states where a J1 visa won't cut it). I'm a Canadian ortho resident planning to go to the US for fellowship. Writing step I in two 1/2 weeks.