DO v. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrJosh9788

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are DO's discriminated against? Do some MD"s feel they are better than DO's?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and yes. You should do a search on this topic, as it has been debated ad nauseum.

Ughh ... do a search. There are at least two active threads on the front page alone covering this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see from your other posts that you're a freshman in college and are primarily interested in dental school. I recommend that you read through SDN's Pre-Osteopathic Forum if you're really interested in the difference between MD and DO. Check out the FAQ in that forum.

this thread title just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

I see from your other posts that you're a freshman in college and are primarily interested in dental school. I recommend that you read through SDN's Pre-Osteopathic Forum if you're really interested in the difference between MD and DO. Check out the FAQ in that forum.

Agree with the above. As a further note:

MD vs. DO Threads

this thread title just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Just admit it, swallowing your own puke is an awkwardly satisfying experience. And the best way to do it, is to puke a bit in your mouth (i guess it's socially unacceptable to consume your own vomit, once it is on the ground).

There's fierce competition between DOs and MDs. There are MD hospitals and DO hospitals, so there's often rivalry between MD and DO hospitals. The two compete to qualify for the World Physician Championship (WPC) that takes place every year. Last year, a DO team won, and an MD team won the year before that; everyone's waiting to see who wins this year's Championship.

There are also intra-league competitions, like the Allopathic Regional Championship (ARC) and the Osteopathic Medical Bowl (OMB). Usually, the best team from the MD-conference will play the best team from the DO-conference in the WPC.

There's fierce competition between DOs and MDs. There are MD hospitals and DO hospitals, so there's often rivalry between MD and DO hospitals. The two compete to qualify for the World Physician Championship (WPC) that takes place every year. Last year, a DO team won, and an MD team won the year before that; everyone's waiting to see who wins this year's Championship.

There are also intra-league competitions, like the Allopathic Regional Championship (ARC) and the Osteopathic Medical Bowl (OMB). Usually, the best team from the MD-conference will play the best team from the DO-conference in the WPC.

And every year they take the top graduate of all allopathic medical schools and the top graduate of all osteopatic medical schools, and put them together in a round cage called the thunderdome, and Tina Turner referees a fight to the death to see which is better, DO or MD.
Two Man Enter....One Man Leave.

My school has both an MD and DO class.

Rumor has it we played a "friendly" game of football 2 years ago, and one of the DO's ended up with a broken arm.

My school has both an MD and DO class.

Rumor has it we played a "friendly" game of football 2 years ago, and one of the DO's ended up with a broken arm.

let me guess... u go to MSU right ? CHM or COM ?

I know many premeds probably would rather not hear this but every DO vs. MD thread should have this automatic response:

As an MD, who trained at the Mayo Clinic, one of the most hardcore "allopathic" institutions in the country, I have to tell you yours is one of my favorite SDN posts ever. Look, when (and for many of those offering these crackpot views - if) you get into and through medical school, you will either work closely with DOs or you will be a DO. Guess what? You will not care what initials are on your fellow interns coat, you will only care that they are on time to relieve you. DOs do residencies and are on staff at just about every academic institution in the country. If you can't come to grips with that, get out of medicine. Truthfully, worrying about which degree is held once you reach residency or professional life is like tying to compare high school GPAs once you begin college. NO ONE WHO MATTERS, CARES! You are not going to go to your professor and argue that you should receive a higher grade in a college course because of where you went to high school. You should realize that is how ridiculous those of you who have yet to gain admission to, yet alone complete medical school, sound when you bash DOs.

As for the poster who suggested that the initials should be the same if the standard of care is - who cares? If DOs want to recognize their historic roots by being DOs, wonderful. You do realize that those holding MBBS degrees are also held to the same standards as MDs? Should they suddenly declare their degrees doctorates as well and become "MD"s (completely disregarding the traditions of their countries)?

- H

FoughtFyr's post is great ... once you're through with the process, you're through. As soon as residency starts you're essentially the same as every other resident on your team/group/what have you. I'm OMS-I myself, but can vouch for the fact that I'm learning the exact same things my boyfriend at an MD program is learning. And I've talked to many a practicing DO/MD and have heard the same- no difference once you're there. Salaries are the same in a given field between both Doctors and patient care is the same.

If you're dying to go into the world of prestigious academia, I'd say to shoot for MD.

That is all.

MD's are superior to DO's. Fact.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=H1sS1TmXF38[/YOUTUBE]