DO vs DO -need to choose NOW!!! HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rugger

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. And while I am thrilled to have more than one school to choose, I cringe at making such a huge decision that will not only effect me, but my husband also! I have been accepted to CCOM and made deposits there. Today, DMU called and moved me off the alternate list to "accept". I have until Noon central standard time on 7/25/01 to decide. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me with some feedback! They are both great schools! Anyone else out there who has had to choose, why did you pick the way you did? Anyone have any real gripes with either school? Hints, comments, ideas, advice is all welcome... just hurry! THANKS! :eek: null

Members don't see this ad.

I turned down several schools (including allopathic) to go to AZCOM. It wasn't that I disliked the other schools, each had their strong and weak points. I had to decide which one that I would be most content to be at for 4 years. It was partly based on my overall feel for each program, my impressions of the people from the interviews, the geographical location, the facilities, the faculty,etc. I suggest that you make a list of the qualities that are the most important for you in a medical school and have your husband make a similar list for his issues regarding location. Tkae some time and compare the schools or locations head to head on your criterion. Then compare your list with that of your husband. That should help you make a decision, or at least clarify where issues and differences are. Good luck!

Surely, it IS time to get hot!! :eek: With your husband, sit down and pick your top three priorities and weigh out the good and the bad. When all is said and done, ask yourselves, is this a place I want to live for the next four years? If the answer is "yes", you are good to go. If "no", then you may have to chose based on the knowledge that you will be compromising. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think about the atmosphere at the school when I went there to interview. Also cost should play a major role in your decision...cost of tuition...cost of living etc.

What it all boils down is what is your heart saying. Because you are asking what you should do, tells me that you might be leaning toward DMU...but I could be wrong :D

I hear that both school are excellent so I think you'll get a great education either way.

My prayers are with you and I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you and your husband.

CCOM. Weigh the pros and cons.

Hey Guys! Thanks for the input!!! My main issues are 1) Quality of Education 2) Environment to spend 4 yrs in and 3) Money.
My husband agrees. Cost of living is better in Des Moines and so is the environment, for what we want. But the priority goes to my education. And here's where I am at a stalemate. I really like DMU's first two years. I like the hands on learning, the SPALS, and the lab classes that get you into things early on. The more "real doctor" class format, the better. I learn better that way. CCOM has more of that approach than I had originally thought, but not as much as DMU. But there is more than just the first two years to be thinking about. DMU has rotations all over. And "you are not guaranteed to do them in Des Moines". Which is not easy when you have a family. And rumor has it that the primary hospital they were using for core rotations has shut down some of that... so DMU is trying to find new hospital contacts in the area to transfer the students to. But nothing is set yet. Alot can change in two years, but that has brought up some red flags to me. Whereas CCOM has all of its rotations in the Chicagoland area. No moving required. See how confusing this is??? Pros and Cons on both sides... UGH :mad:

I had a similar problem. I was accepted to MSUCOM and recently was offered a spot at PCSOM. I thought MSU had a slightly better program, but KY offered more family stability. We spent four years in Lansing and my wife hated it, so we knew that if we went to MI we would eventually move again and with the kids getting older that gets tough on them. There is a good chance that in KY we could find a place, buy a home and stabilize them without moving again(livd there also and loved it), even if I have to travel some for rotations and such (my sacrifice vs. theirs) I chose PCSOM mostly b/c we thought it was a better move for the family. With kids the quality of the program becomes less important as we must consider their welfare also,(although PCSOM is a great program also. I just liked MSU's system based vs. PCSOM's traditional curriculum) Whatever DO school we graduate from we are still going to be called "Dr." If it is an accredited program the education will be there. And being a doctor is what we make of it. Obviously there are good and bad graduates in every program.

Rugger;

I'm a DMU alumni and had to make a similar decision btwn UHS, DMU (UOHMS at the time) and Chicago Med. I used tuition, location, 'percieved' education quality as deciding factors much like you're struggling with. I'll address each in turn.

First, tuition was expensive at each school but significantly more at Chicago Med. UHS and DMU were similar, I got a break as an Iowa resident at DMU, however.

Location: again being an Iowa resident made Des Moines appealing. It's a nice town, safe, cheap cost of living. I like Chicago and KC, perhaps more exciting, but figured I'd be studying most of the time anyway...

Education: Honestly most med schools have similar didactic training. DMU uses a systems approach in the 2nd year which I found appealing. Seems to be better focus for preparing for boards (of course, I don't have any way of comparing other schools). Pass rate for Step I and II is good at DMU(but most med students pass these exams), there is good training in Osteopathic Principles (arguably one of the best COMs for this training), and what I found most appealing about DMU was that there were other Health degree programs offered on campus. I felt that this would draw better faculty, offer different perspectives and offer other opportunities. And in fact, after your 1st semester, you can apply for the dual-degree program to get your MHA or MPH with your medical degree. I did this and it wasn't a significant time burden (glad I did, it helped w/ residency and fellowship placement).

Rotations: this is controversial territory. Personally my rotations on the whole were excellent. I'm married and had a house in Des Moines (DSM) so I didn't want to do away rotations and was able to do them in DSM. There were ~40 students in my class who wanted to stay in DSM and all were able to... My rotations were at Broadlawns, the VA, Mercy, SE clinic, Blank Childrens and Methodist. All were excellent. The hospital that recently closed was relatively small, offered poor rotation experience and accounted for only a few rotation spots. Unltimately, it's prob'ly a good thing that this site closed. It should be easy to pick up the lost positions elsewhere. Others students will argue that the rotation experience at DMU is poor. I think if you put some effort in deciding where to do rotations and put some effort into those experiences, they'll be good. Keep in mind that few private COMs have there own training hospitals, so you'll likely be in a similar situation (a rotation orphan) at CCOM as well. An advantage to setting up your own rotations is an opportunity to rotate at programs that you're interested in for residency.

Good luck with your decision.

Seems like you're getting your questions answered here.... its people like rtk that I got sold on going to DMU.... ;) :cool:

Good luck and let us know what you decide on....

Rugger.... GO TO THE DMU FORUM where you posted as well.... A fellow Class of 2005er that had the same dilemma responded.... Good luck as always....

yikes I realize that it may be a bit too late.... Oh well.... we tried....

So what did you decide?