DO vs MD residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastidious

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am trying to find some information on a very specific situation my friend is in. She had graduated some years ago from a medical school in Russia. Here (in U.S.), she passed both Step1 and Step2 (USLME) and now is looking for a residency. First of all, does she have an M.D just because she passes the two exams, or is the degree given upon copmletion of residency and Step3? She is being offered a position in Osteopathic Primary Care Residency program, but the confusion is all about whether or not that is going to affect her degree (M.D. vs. D.O.) and her ability to practice medicine in the future. If anyone knows what happens in a situation like this please let me know. Will she be considered a D.O. and or an M.D after this residency? What are the differences in how these two types of doctors can practice medicine (I heard that D.O.'s can't open their own business, but I don't know if it's true)? Is there a posibility to later (let's say in a year) transfer to allopathic internal medicine residency or allopathic phamily practice residensy. If yes will it be categorical or transitional? If you know anything about this please share the information.

Thank you very much for your help.

Fastidious.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.