DO vs' MD salaries..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slaminAF

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to ask this w/o sounding like a selfish "wannabe," but how do the salaries of DO's and MD's differ? Some tell me that DO's make far less, and some say that some DO's make a little more for their respective fields. I would like o know the truth, on average, or perhaps a place to look and find this info. Don't get me wrong, money is by far NOT my peak motivation, I am just honestly curious. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you in all honesty.

Everything that I've read and witnessed suggests that DO's make nearly identical salaries to their MD counterparts. Its more about being a success as a "Dr." than it is whether or not you are an MD or a DO.

Don't let that part worry you.

W.

Originally posted by slaminAF:
I don't know how to ask this w/o sounding like a selfish "wannabe," but how do the salaries of DO's and MD's differ? Some tell me that DO's make far less, and some say that some DO's make a little more for their respective fields. I would like o know the truth, on average, or perhaps a place to look and find this info. Don't get me wrong, money is by far NOT my peak motivation, I am just honestly curious. Thanks.

slaminAF,

i think everyone deserves to know at least the salary range for a career that he/she is interested in.

a good frend of mine, who graduated from ou-com, was very fortunate to open his private clinic a year after he finished his residency. i bet he was working very hard during his first year of practice since he needed to build a good patient pool. his total income last year was $600,000 (not net-income). again, that's the money he made. that figure doesn't necessarily represent the avg income that other DO make. so do ur research and i'm sure there are many ppl who are curious about this issue.

good luck

MTY & Wish,
Thanks guys/gals!
MTY,
Is that salary indicative of many who go into business for themselves? Where is his practice?