DO vs MD should it get so much attention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life

Way too Sweet for you!!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to SDN and I am already tired of how much attention is given to the DO vs MD debate. I will be attending OSU-COM in the fall and I am proud that I am going to an Osteopathic school. If you go to the allopathic site they do not give as much attention to which is better or are we equal. Research, Research, Research and you will learn that both are equal, but there are different philosophies. By spending so much time debating if we are equal to MD's and MD students we suggest that there needs to be this type of debate. Is the quality of a physician really dependant on the letters behind their name. I would argue that there are great and terrible physicains either way and that the letters behind there name only detail there style and philosophy of instruction. Working in a inner-city ER for a few years, I have seen DO's and MD's sit side by side working together for the best care of the patient. Does anyone really think we need to continue to justify DO's as complete physicians? :p

Members don't see this ad.

I totally agree with LukegoCowboys. See you at OSU-COM in the Fall. Luke where did you complete your undergrad studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Maxy,
I went to Oklahoma Christian University, it is a small private school in OKC. How about you? Are you excited about starting school?

Congrats, Luke. I went to OBU in Shawnee for my undergrad and considered OSU-COM and OU-HSC both, but declined seats at both schools to attend KCOM. OSU is a wonderful school--I have several friends attending there who are very pleased. Good to see they are still accepting well-grounded individuals!

Good luck . . .

Lukegocowboys,
Yea, I know where Oklahoma Christian is, it's on Memorial road towards Edmond. As a matter of fact, that's where I took my MCAT, and also as a memeber of Rose State College Soccer team, we played agianst then. I on the other hand graduated from Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford. Well, I'm really exicited and anxious to start OSU-COM in the fall.
See you then.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lukegocowboys:
•I am new to SDN and I am already tired of how much attention is given to the DO vs MD debate. I will be attending OSU-COM in the fall and I am proud that I am going to an Osteopathic school. If you go to the allopathic site they do not give as much attention to which is better or are we equal. Research, Research, Research and you will learn that both are equal, but there are different philosophies. By spending so much time debating if we are equal to MD's and MD students we suggest that there needs to be this type of debate. Is the quality of a physician really dependant on the letters behind their name. I would argue that there are great and terrible physicains either way and that the letters behind there name only detail there style and philosophy of instruction. Working in a inner-city ER for a few years, I have seen DO's and MD's sit side by side working together for the best care of the patient. Does anyone really think we need to continue to justify DO's as complete physicians? :p •••••Congrats on your acceptance and your decision, and welcome to SDN. I also don't care about the difference betwee DO/MD, but why are you bringing the topic up again? I say just let it rest.

NO the debate should not deserve that much attention.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by medicine2006:
•NO the debate should not deserve that much attention.•••••I agree completely! :clap: