DO vs MD trained PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference between a PA trained at a MD vs DO school of medicine? :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure I understand your question. A physician assistant is not a fully licensed physician. A DO is the equivalent to an MD in all aspects of training with the exception of additional training in OMM that the DO had received during medical school. There are DOs in every single medical specialty from primary care to the surgical sub-specialties.

As a physician assistant you will be working "under" the supervision of both an MD or DO.

I think I know what you are asking. We have a PA program at the osteopathic school that I attend, and to my knowledge, there is no difference between the education you would recieve at a PA program associated with an allopathic medical school vs. an osteopathic medical school. The PA students at my school do not take any our OMM classes. Also, there are PA programs out there that are not associated with a "medical school" at all. I believe the largest difference between PA programs is whether or not the program leads to a Master's degree or not. I hope that this answers your question...

Members don't see this ad :)
Swaamedic-Are you asking about programs that train their PA's using the osteopathic model vs. the allopathic model? I visited two PA's programs that were at osteopathic medical schools. Neither train their PA students using the osteopathic model, nor do they incorporate osteopathic principles into their curriculum.

I cannot speak for all PA Programs affiliated with DO schools, but I can speak of one that I know of. Recently I was accepted to NYIT which is affiliated with NYCOM. In the orientation as well as the curriculum, they have stated that they offer an OMM class much more condensed and introductory than the medical students get. It is called osteopathic practices and principles. I have heard several applicants on the Physicianassociate.com forum mention in the chatroom that their programs each have unique classes and offerings. Most programs have their own selling point and contacting the schools affiliated with MD/DO schools would have the most information regarding this.

I am not sure if I helped at all, but I wish you luck in your pursuit!