DO vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you rather go to a MD school thats always on probation (like rosalind franklin) or a DO school with a clean record?

Not trolling, im just a Pre-med thats trying to understand were DO school stands.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Let the trolling and flaming commence...

Your title is too subtle.

Members don't see this ad :)
tumblr_lrqneemuiw1qi7deco1_500.gif

i'd rather attend an allopathic school that is not on probation (i.e. any of the ranked schools)
i'd rather work harder as an undergrad to be competitive for a medical school in good standing as opposed to hoping for an acceptance from an allopathic school that is on probation, attend an osteopathic school, or attend a medical school in the Caribbean

Reactions: 1 user
I'd rather go to my in-state DO school than Rosalind Franklin. This decision is school specific, not degree-specific, for me.

i'd rather attend an allopathic school that is not on probation (i.e. any of the ranked schools)
i'd rather work harder as an undergrad to be competitive for a medical school in good standing as opposed to hoping for an acceptance from an allopathic school that is on probation, attend an osteopathic school, or attend a medical school in the Carribean

So basically you would rather not answer the question....

just out of curiosity, what does it mean when a medical school is "on probation"?

more importantly, how does the probation status affect the students at that medical school? will it make it more difficult for them to gain entrance into competitive residencies?

So basically you would rather not answer the question....
My answer would be neither. I would put together a competitive medical school application and apply to MD schools in good standing. There are over 140 accredited allopathic medical schools. I assume that only a few of them would be on probation.

MD school, every single time. Schools get put on probation for all sorts of ridiculous things.

I'm still not too sure about that DO thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still not too sure about that DO thing.

Maybe if you hang around for another 1.5 yrs, give another gold level donation, and double your posts to 4k you'll figure it out.

Strong work.

Reactions: 6 users
My answer would be neither. I would put together a competitive medical school application and apply to MD schools in good standing. There are over 140 accredited allopathic medical schools. I assume that only a few of them would be on probation.
So, you would still prefer not to answer the question.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe if you hang around for another 1.5 yrs, give another gold level donation, and double your posts to 4k you'll figure it out.

Strong work.

By then I would have gotten into an MD program. Get outta here. ;)

Is it really time for another one of these threads again??? :(

Would you rather go to a MD school thats always on probation (like rosalind franklin) or a DO school with a clean record?

Not trolling, im just a Pre-med thats trying to understand were DO school stands.

Let me translate this for you and maybe you'll understand your own question better:

"Would you rather go to a school that wont give you a good education but will give you a title that makes everyone think you are smart or a school that teaches you well and gives you a title that makes everyone think you are smart?"

OP: "Oh now I see..."

Let me translate this for you and maybe you'll understand your own question better:

"Would you rather go to a school that wont give you a good education but will give you a title that makes everyone think you are smart or a school that teaches you well and gives you a title that makes everyone think you are smart?"

OP: "Oh now I see..."

No smart ass, more like, "is the hurdles faced by being a regular DO student so big that they trump the hurdles faced by MD students whose medical school is currently on probation."

No smart ass, more like, "is the hurdles faced by being a regular DO student so big that they trump the hurdles faced by MD students whose medical school is currently on probation."
Hostle much? I realize I made a snarky comment but profanity wasn't needed. My point is both degrees have unlimited practicing rights. Get into med school first, then worry about the other stuff.

Hostle much? I realize I made a snarky comment but profanity wasn't needed. My point is both degrees have unlimited practicing rights. Get into med school first, then worry about the other stuff.

Nobody asked about their practicing rights. And both of them having unlimited practicing rights wouldn't be a reason to choose one over the other.

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody asked about their practicing rights. And both of them having unlimited practicing rights wouldn't be a reason to choose one over the other.
Are you saying you would rather attend a medical school that failed to adhere to accreditation standards over another that did just because some residency programs might value the degree more?

just gotta rotate with The Doctor. instant honors.
The Doctor's companions are always in danger - Especially during the EM rotation.
Remember the hanging limb while you performed chest compressions? Well...
images

The reason we got put on probation is kind of ridiculous. There apparently wasn't enough desk/locker space at some rotation sites and that triggered our probation.

And you're kidding yourself if you think any DO school will give you more opportunities than even the lowest ranked LCME MD school.

Are you saying you would rather attend a medical school that failed to adhere to accreditation standards over another that did just because some residency programs might value the degree more?

The thing is, the "probation" reasons were a joke which shouldnt have an impact on your learning.

the point of going to medical school is to get into a good residency so you can be a knowledgeable and skilled physician
accreditation standards are a nonissue

Reactions: 2 users
the point of going to medical school is to get into a good residency so you can be a knowledgeable and skilled physician
accreditation standards are a nonissue
First off let me say my comments were not specifically geared toward RFU. I dont know anything about their probation and I have heard good things about them so no judging there. Clearly anytime you have to decide between two schools you would research why one was put on probation. If it was not that big of a deal then fine, but I would never assume an MD school that is on probation was just put on it for nothing and choose it automatically over a DO school.
With that said I respectfully disagree with the above statement yehhhboiii. Although this is a matter of personal choice, in my opinion a person should attend a medical school, residency and fellowship that they feel will best prepare them to be a competent physician. Its not about us and our dreams, its about the patient. After all its because of them we have a job to begin with. The patient deserves physicians that are the best they can be and anytime I make a decision about my medical education I try to remember that. The truth is (and I am not going to name any names) there are some MD schools that are not as good as some DO schools. No matter what opposition I might face in landing a residency as a DO its not worth it to me to go to an MD school where I wont receive as good an education. I realize there are some pretty sketchy DO schools that are scraping the bottom of the barrell, but there are some MD schools doing that as well its not anything only DO schools struggle with. That's my point, nothing more nothing less.

im sorry, i didn't realize that i was dealing with an expert in undergraduate medical education. there is no advantage to going to a do school. you'll be dealing with the implicit assumption that you're in a do program because you couldn't get into an md school. if you want to get into an md residency, you'll have to take the usmle as well as the comlex. you'll be dealing with discrimination from residency directors.

im sorry, i didn't realize that i was dealing with an expert in undergraduate medical education. there is no advantage to going to a do school. you'll be dealing with the implicit assumption that you're in a do program because you couldn't get into an md school. if you want to get into an md residency, you'll have to take the usmle as well as the comlex. you'll be dealing with discrimination from residency directors.

What if you want to go to a DO residency?

Why does this thread even exist?

What if you want to go to a DO residency?
There's no reason to ever want that. There are far fewer DO residencies. If you want to go DO because there's an AOA residency in Hometown, USA, then I bet there's an ACGME residency in the same specialty in the same town, probably with better training.

There's no reason to ever want that. There are far fewer DO residencies. If you want to go DO because there's an AOA residency in Hometown, USA, then I bet there's an ACGME residency in the same specialty in the same town, probably with better training.

There's a reason for me. Saving 130k, and wanting a competitive specialty. Also, location.

Reactions: 2 users
There's a reason for me. Saving 130k, and wanting a competitive specialty. Also, location.

Which competitive specialty? In general, there are far fewer competitive DO specialties, even as a percentage of student population e.g. there are only 7 AOA integrated plastics programs in the entire country. It's not like DO specialties are less competitive than their MD counterparts, either.

Why does this thread even exist?
To determine if there is a meaningful difference in career prospects between attending a bottom tier MD school and a top tier DO school, in case an applicant should ever have to choose between them. I think it is a valid question.

I also think the answer is that historically nothing much has come of LCME probation (although twice in a decade has to be some kind of record), and historically MD degrees offer easier access to a wider variety of residencies, so there is a difference and an applicant would benefit from choosing the lower ranked MD school, all other things (family / geography / tuition / etc) being equal.

You clearly missed the point of my post. I'd like to be a fly on the wall the day you are working under a DO and you try to tell him his medical education was inferior to yours.

First off let me say my comments were not specifically geared toward RFU. I dont know anything about their probation and I have heard good things about them so no judging there. Clearly anytime you have to decide between two schools you would research why one was put on probation. If it was not that big of a deal then fine, but I would never assume an MD school that is on probation was just put on it for nothing and choose it automatically over a DO school.
With that said I respectfully disagree with the above statement yehhhboiii. Although this is a matter of personal choice, in my opinion a person should attend a medical school, residency and fellowship that they feel will best prepare them to be a competent physician. Its not about us and our dreams, its about the patient. After all its because of them we have a job to begin with. The patient deserves physicians that are the best they can be and anytime I make a decision about my medical education I try to remember that. The truth is (and I am not going to name any names) there are some MD schools that are not as good as some DO schools. No matter what opposition I might face in landing a residency as a DO its not worth it to me to go to an MD school where I wont receive as good an education. I realize there are some pretty sketchy DO schools that are scraping the bottom of the barrell, but there are some MD schools doing that as well its not anything only DO schools struggle with. That's my point, nothing more nothing less.

I agree that patients should be at the center of our decision making. However, I feel like medical school is not what makes you a competent physician, especially when compared to residency. Therefore, it would be better to go to the school that allows you to obtain the best residency possible in order to best prepare someone to be a competent physician.

I agree that patients should be at the center of our decision making. However, I feel like medical school is not what makes you a competent physician, especially when compared to residency. Therefore, it would be better to go to the school that allows you to obtain the best residency possible in order to best prepare someone to be a competent physician.
That's a fair argument. But if you are looking into DO friendly areas of medicine then some DO schools are still a viable option to some MD schools. Not everyone can get into a top 20 med school.

You clearly missed the point of my post. I'd like to be a fly on the wall the day you are working under a DO and you try to tell him his medical education was inferior to yours.

stop being offended premed. my pcp is a do and my first preceptor was a do. i respect them greatly as physicians and i respect their medical education. it doesn't change the fact that it's easier to get into a do school or the fact that dos are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to applying to acgme residencies.

stop being offended premed. my pcp is a do and my first preceptor was a do. i respect them as physicians and i respect their medical education. it doesn't change the fact that it's easier to get into a do school or the fact that dos are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to applying to residency.
Dont flatter yourself, I wasnt offended. You are not the only one I have talked to who knows everything about med school. I know not to take it personally that is why I initially said I respectfully disagree. I would, however, appreciate the same respect. Also, there is no need to imply your big bad Med Student title its obvious from the way you talk.

DO is a disadvantage. Period. There is no DO program in the country that will give you as many opportunities as an MD school.

How big a disadvantage DO school is another topic. Depending on your specialty choice, it may not be that big a deal or it could be a deal killer.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they know of DO schools that are better than MD schools...I'm curious how/why they have that viewpoint...or if it's just personal preference/they like the city better. Or even saying they personally know that there are bad US MD schools...that is something I have never came close to hearing as well.

That's a fair argument. But if you are looking into
That's a fair argument. But if you are looking into DO friendly areas of medicine then some DO schools are still a viable option to some MD schools. Not everyone can get into a top 20 med school.

Could you specify which areas in particular other than primary care? Do DO graduates have a reasonable shot at getting into residencies such as general surgery and emergency medicine?