DO vs Naturopathic (ND) ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wishbone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wondering if anyone esle has considering entering a Naturopathic program? Has anyone visited any of the ND schools?

I like the DO programs but wish they included more on psychology and eastern techniques as a ND program does.

Anyway would like to know if anyone else has thought about a ND.

Members don't see this ad.

NDs are few and far between. It's a profession that's been around for quite some time, but hasn't become as organized as osteopathic medicine or even chiropractic.

I don't believe the education of an ND in this country is currently standardized.

Tim of New York City.

Ya you better do your homework before you go joining up to be an ND.
First of all they're only liscensed to practice in about 2 or 3 states. That's a huge restriction. Don't you want options? Also, as a D.O. or M.D. you can always integrate eastern medicine into your practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me begin by saying that I am open to new ideas, e.g. eastern medicine, herbal remedies, etc. However, I have a very close friend who is an ND. Unfortunately, this individual's level of knowledge frightens me. I am confident that a good undergraduate program in biology or biochemistry provides much more biomedical training than the ND program she completed. I know that pharmocology was not a part of her particular ND curriculum, but I find it alarming that there was little emphasis on physiology, pathology, etc. Herbal remedies, vitamin therapy, and acupuncture have all been deemed efficacious in certain cases. However, I believe an ND should be familiar with the biochemical aspects of vitamins and herbs. Whether one uses chemical pharmaceuticals or herbs, he or she should have an idea of what receptor or pathway is involved.

I agree with the previous post. Go to MD or DO school and get good scientific training. Then, if you wish to incorporate or rely completely on natural remedies in your practice of medicine, do so.

Look into OU-COM. They just got involved with some chineese medical schools to introduce some eastern concepts. I don't know how this will spice up the curriculum but it's something to look into. I just finished a rotation with a DO who uses some alternative medicine in addition to traditional medicine. He told me to know traditional medicine first before learning the alternative stuff. Good luck in your decision.

Naturopathic Medicien is an alternative medical practice that does not teach medicine and surgery. If your goal is to become a physician and, in your practice, utilize alternative therapy, then go to medical school (allopathic or osteopathic) and then learn naturopathy on the side. If you strictly want to practice alternative therapy, then go for Naturopathy. However, you will not be considered a physician with the alternative ND degree.