1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Do we count chiral Ns as chiral centers when counting the chiral centers in a molecule?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by 510586, Aug 12, 2015.

1. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    A 3 degree N with different alkyl groups and a lone pair is considered a chiral amine. Would it count as a chiral center if in a molecule? Example shown below.

Attached Files:

2. FloorMatt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I saw a question on QVault before that said lone pairs for nitrogen ONLY don't count towards the chirality due to some type of nitrogen inversion. But for other elements like oxygen, you would count the lone pairs. I'm just the messenger though and don't really understand in depth why this is so.

3. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    There is pyramidal inversion, but I'm not sure if that makes it nonchiral. Hope orgoman comes to the rescue

4. FeralisExtremum

FeralisExtremum SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Nope, not chiral due to amine inversion. An amine with a lone pair readily interconverts with an enantiomer.
    "- Amine inversion means that an N with a lone pair on it won’t be chiral because its lone pairs flip around!"

-from Chad's videos

5. RenzyBoy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm taking OChem right now, and we just covered amines, so I think I might be able to answer this? I believe that it doesn't count as chiral. Since the interconversion of the lone pair on nitrogen creates two chiral molecules already, you can't really have two enantiomers that exist separately.

6. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Augh odyssey said that it was chiral in principle but cannot be resolved. Guess I should just know that it is achiral for counting purposes? If it was a quaternary amine would we count it as chiral?

7. FeralisExtremum

FeralisExtremum SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yes, consider it achiral for counting purposes. If you had a quaternary amine (with four different substituents and none of them are lone pairs), that would count as chiral.

8. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Got it thank you very much!

9. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks!