Do we count chiral Ns as chiral centers when counting the chiral centers in a molecule?

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
A 3 degree N with different alkyl groups and a lone pair is considered a chiral amine. Would it count as a chiral center if in a molecule? Example shown below.

Attachments

FloorMatt

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I saw a question on QVault before that said lone pairs for nitrogen ONLY don't count towards the chirality due to some type of nitrogen inversion. But for other elements like oxygen, you would count the lone pairs. I'm just the messenger though and don't really understand in depth why this is so.

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
There is pyramidal inversion, but I'm not sure if that makes it nonchiral. Hope orgoman comes to the rescue

About the Ads
May 17, 2008
Status
Dentist
Nope, not chiral due to amine inversion. An amine with a lone pair readily interconverts with an enantiomer.
"- Amine inversion means that an N with a lone pair on it won’t be chiral because its lone pairs flip around!"

-from Chad's videos

RenzyBoy

2+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm taking OChem right now, and we just covered amines, so I think I might be able to answer this? I believe that it doesn't count as chiral. Since the interconversion of the lone pair on nitrogen creates two chiral molecules already, you can't really have two enantiomers that exist separately.

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Augh odyssey said that it was chiral in principle but cannot be resolved. Guess I should just know that it is achiral for counting purposes? If it was a quaternary amine would we count it as chiral?
Nope, not chiral due to amine inversion. An amine with a lone pair readily interconverts with an enantiomer.
"- Amine inversion means that an N with a lone pair on it won’t be chiral because its lone pairs flip around!"

-from Chad's videos

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
I'm taking OChem right now, and we just covered amines, so I think I might be able to answer this? I believe that it doesn't count as chiral. Since the interconversion of the lone pair on nitrogen creates two chiral molecules already, you can't really have two enantiomers that exist separately.
Thanks!

About the Ads