Do we get paid during the orientation before residency starts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Depressed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our program requires 10days of orientation before July. 1st. Does one know if we would get paid or it depends on the program.
thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the program.

My residency did not pay for orientation which was several days long, my fellowship did (which was a joke since it only lasted 1 day, didn't tell me anything I didn't already know and didn't tell me stuff I needed to know [like how to work the dictation system, how to page people, etc.]). I got paid $400 for fellowship orientation, as I recall.

our program paid us. it was nice :)

Depends on the program. You have to remember that as a resident you are on salary, not hourly. If your contract says you show up on 6/20 and get your first check on 7/15 that's how it is. That's also why you get paid the same for the blocks with 120 hour weeks (Oops, I mean 80 hour weeks) and vacation/elective blocks.

Depends. We had two weeks of orientation. TWO WEEKS! All unpaid, of course.

And we didn't get paid until the end of the following month. So orientation from mid-June to end of June, first paycheck at the end of July. :(

At my program we could opt to get a $2000 loan in late June. They then took it back, interest free, out of our paychecks at something like $250 a month for 8 months. It wasn't as good as getting paid but it helped.

Depends. We had two weeks of orientation. TWO WEEKS! All unpaid, of course.

And we didn't get paid until the end of the following month. So orientation from mid-June to end of June, first paycheck at the end of July. :(

Is this common practice? :eek:

I don't expect to get paid for the orientation, but I was hoping I could get a little something by end june or start of july.

Start mid-june and get a paycheck at the end of june.

So yes.

We get paid $100 dollars a day up to a max of $700 for any required orientation prior to July 1. However that money still doesn't come until our first paycheck on July 30.

The best way to budget if your concerned is to call GME. I also started in mid-June with random activities, and then orientation, but didn't get a paycheck till the end of July. Luckily I had some cash leftover from travel and relocation loan I took out in the beginning of my MS4 year, but it was a stretch.

Is this common practice? :eek:

I don't expect to get paid for the orientation, but I was hoping I could get a little something by end june or start of july.

If you don't expect to get paid for orientation, they why would you expect to get paid in late June/early July before you have even started residency? :confused:

Depends on the program but yes, in most cases in the US you have to work for 2 weeks to be paid. However, for residency, since most hospitals are large institutions with standardized pay periods, they will likely pay you for 1 week of work. Blade may be at a program which pays you monthly rather than every two weeks. With direct deposit there really is no reason for a program to do this anymore or to not pay you for the first month, but it does happen.

The pay period ends 1 week prior to being paid, so I would imagine that the most common situation is that you get a check on the Friday of your second week of work, which will reflect 1 week's work. It may or may not include pay for orientation (I did not get my fellowship orientation pay until August - 3rd pay period as I recall). Some hospitals may claim it takes a pay period to get you in the system, and thus, you are not paid until the end of July (which would reflect 3 weeks of work +/- orientation).

So yes, this is not something that is commonly publicized. You may not get paid for orientation, you may not get paid until mid July or end July and will have to find the money for living expenses elsewhere, as docb's situation (of being loaned money) is uncommon, IMHO.

I believe it's a violation of federal law for programs to mandate orientation and not pay you for it. And, I believe they have to pay you equivalently to your salary rate. But I'm not a lawyer.

I believe it's a violation of federal law for programs to mandate orientation and not pay you for it. And, I believe they have to pay you equivalently to your salary rate. But I'm not a lawyer.

Den dere's a lot of programs in trouble.

Of course, they probably get off by stating that its not required (all the while glaring at you and telling you you really really need to show up).

Winged, sorry! i guess i was hoping for an advance or a relocation allowance--but i realize that does not happen.

i guess i better stick to the less pricier apartments :D

Winged, sorry! i guess i was hoping for an advance or a relocation allowance--but i realize that does not happen.

i guess i better stick to the less pricier apartments :D

I hear rumor that there are residency programs that give you a signing bonus or moving allowance. I've never seen it and none of my friends, even non-surgical types, ever got it, but it is rumored.

Maybe you can sell all those "fanny packs" you have collected over the years for so rent money!:p

I assume that means you're paying your incoming interns/residents when orienting. Kudos to you. I oriented for 2 weeks at the post office as a college student during summer with full pay and spent a whole 2 weeks delivering mail. I don't see how this should be any different.

However, I'm not a lawyer either, but I've been following some of the legality of resident abuse and it seems to me that programs dodge all sorts of labor and contract laws by playing the student card. Since the resident can still be considered a student doctor, their salary ends up being a stipend/fellowship at mandatory arbitration panels set by the state or in court, and hence is not subject to the same rules or protections normal salary money is.

My favorite bit is when it's defended thusly: we must protect the residency system as it is or doctors won't be able to train! :laugh:

I hear rumor that there are residency programs that give you a signing bonus or moving allowance. I've never seen it and none of my friends, even non-surgical types, ever got it, but it is rumored.

I hear many family practice programs offer signing bonuses. Sort of an extra incentive to get students to apply to such a noncompetitive specialty

I hear many family practice programs offer signing bonuses. Sort of an extra incentive to get students to apply to such a noncompetitive specialty

Similarly, some of these programs also pay for airfare and hotel during the interview season.

Yup. My friend got a sign-on bonus for going to fammed...awesome!
As for free fares and hotels, back in my grandmother's time, US hospitals paid for her international airfare just to attend residency interviews. How times have changed :))

Similarly, some of these programs also pay for airfare and hotel during the interview season.

Yep, many of them pay for your hotel, and also take you out to dinner or lunch at a nice restaurant. So do some IM programs. Except for ones in the New York City area. Never knew any residency programs to provide airfare, though.

Yes, FP programs tend to give a signing bonus. I didn't realize this was so rare - who doesn't have bills between May and July?! Also, paying for orientation is pretty common. Maybe this depends on the area you're in as well. All the programs in our area commonly do this.

Also, while interviewing with FP, they definitely take you to the nicest restaurants, pay for your hotel, and also ply you with gifts before you head home. Makes interviewing season quite fun, actually.

Also, while interviewing with FP, they definitely take you to the nicest restaurants, pay for your hotel, and also ply you with gifts before you head home. Makes interviewing season quite fun, actually.

I know. I interviewed at some family practice programs as a fallback to IM, and that was the best part of interviewing. I've received gifts ranging from chocolates to duffel bags. :D

I would go with the expectation to not get your first paycheck until the end of July. Another thing some programs do (especially NY SUNY) is get paid every two weeks, but they "hold" your first paycheck so you really don't get paid until the end of July. And I remember how much it SUCKED. The seniors actually usually end up taking the juniors/interns out to dinner at least once those first weeks to be nice.

That being said, it means you get paid two weeks after you graduate from residency...so you actually have an excuse to have time off.

Orientation is mandatory and we don't get paid but it's only two days.

First paycheck is also held till so we don't get anything till July's end!

We got a moving allowance for my surgical program.
I think that any place that forces you to be somewhere, especially for upwards of two weeks, and doesn't pay you, should have their licenses revoked. Of course, if residents make a stink the public would be all "these greedy doctors are complaining about two weeks pay", just like they tell us we will pay our loans back our first year of practice.

a little off topic but what is the attire for these occasions like orientation, acls/bcls, etc? jeans and a t-shirt?

Here all the guys wore a shirt and tie for the first few days, polo shirts for the more casual/active days (e.g. ATLS).

a little off topic but what is the attire for these occasions like orientation, acls/bcls, etc? jeans and a t-shirt?

I've learned that the "It's ok, I'm a Doctor" t-shirt with cutoffs and flip flops helps with picking up the nurses who may be taking ACLS with you.

In all actuality, overdress the first day, and then play it by ear after that. You probably want to wear a tie/shave/etc on the day they take your picture as well.