Do we have to be board certified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettymean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to know do we have to be board certified to practice or as long as we are fully licensed. Because I can get licensed during the first year of my family practice residency. If I can practice after that, why should I finish the residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Plan on seeing patients that carry insurance, or are you hoping that all the sick people show with cash in hand?

The answer is an easy one.

I asked the same question to a physician before. They were retaking their boards for Family Practice (Every 5 years). I said... Now that you're licensed, why bother taking the boards? And the person explained that you can practice with a license, but try to get insurance companies to pay you without being board certified. They also said it is more difficult to get hospital privledges too. They said that the only place someone might be able to pull off not being board certified is in a very very underserved area.

That's what I was told. I don't have any first hand information for you though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now Wish...didn't I just answer that question the same way?

Why must you clutter these boards with your draw out babble!?!

Have a good holiday!

;)

My questions:

1. Can we take the boards without finish the three year residency?

2. There is a board for family practice?

Board certification nowadays requires a residency in the field you are trying to get certified in. So if you want to be boarded in family medicine, you need to do a family medicine residency.

Now, you will meet older DOs and MDs who are triple and sometimes quadruple boarded. There is a tendency to look at these people and go, "Wow, they must be really smart." Well, maybe this is the case... but most likely, they have so many board certifications because they came into the profession at the right time. There was a window of time a few years ago when board cetrification became "the new thing" and so current physicians practicing at the time could sit for an exam and be grandfathered in. As a result, some docs sat for everything and got board certifications out the wazoo. That window is closed, though, and now board certification requires residencies or fellowships.