DO WE HAVE to get (for Harvard) a recommendation from EVERY lab research prof?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had 2 research positions. 1 position for 2 months during a summer, and the other for 1 year and I'm continuing next year. I Have a rec from my 2 year research position, but not from the 2 MONTH position. The supervisor likes me, but I really don't know him at all, and I don't want to ask him for a rec. Does Harvard REALLY want a rec from every research prof? Has anyone done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering this too. I've done research with 3 different PI's. It seems a bit silly to me. I'm definitely only going to get a letter from 1 of them. I have 6 letters of rec plus a committee letter. It would be crazy to ask for 2 more. Plus one of my bosses moved a couple of years ago, and I don't know how to get in touch with her. You should probably call their office to make sure if you really want to go there. I am not really that gung-ho on going there, so if they reject me for not having the letters I won't really care.

I doubt you would need LORs from all of your PIs. The way I interpreted was that one should get a rec from a PI whom he/she had done most substantial research with. It's natural for many undergrads to move from one lab to next until they find the most ideal. So does this mean you gotta submit the letters from all of the labs you've done rotation? I don't think so. However, the committee would wonder if you state on your AMCAS that you've spent so-and-so number of years doing research at somebody's lab but haven't submitted a letter from him/her.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Harvard last year as a graduate student. I had done 2.5 years research as a graduate student and 1 year as an undergraduate. My committee packet included a letter from my graduate PI but my undergraduate PI retired and I couldn't get a hold of him. My application was never complete at the big H because of this...maybe they'll change their policy this year but they didn't budge last year. You should call and inquire. Best of luck, and take care.

OH NO. Maybe I should leave that 2 month research experience off my post-secondary list? It wasn't extremely important anyway. I didn't really learn anything, it was so boring. Then I wouldn't have to submit the rec right?

I think he'd give me a generic letter that I did everything he told me to do etc,,,but I have amazing recs from my other recommenders (I think, since I know them really really well)...so I think this one boring rec would take away from the others. This rec certainly would add absolutely nothing to my application, and might only detract from it.

Any suggestions?

I got a mixed response to this one.
I worked in 3 research labs as an undergrad (13 months, 4 months, 11 months) but hadn't published anything or presented at any conferences at the time of application. So I didn't get a letter from ANY of them. Yet when I called harvard, they said that my file was complete- and that they will go ahead and review what I have (when I asked about the lack of research letters). It was a definite reach for me, didn't really expect the interview, and didn't get one.

When I called them last year they said I needed one from each PI with whom I worked. I don't know if this is still the rule. You may want to call them to find out. :wink:

Does everyone else have any other experiences with this? There must have been more Harvard applicants :clap: Please help :oops: )

I'll call too, but they might just say "yes," but people's experiences with whether they were accepted without all PI letters, or questioned about why they weren't included would be really helpful.

NO. I didn't, and it turned out fine.

Why have you singled out Harvard? Aren't you doing a committee letter? Then doesn't your same LOR packet go to every school?
I have had 2 PI's and did independant research with both, only got a letter from one of them and still got an interview at Harvard. as others have said already...think "substantial research" and "diverse commendation of your achievements". You should leave none of your medical related activities off your application...remember who you are competing with...pre-meds!!

I am getting a committee letter, but Harvard specifically asks for a rec from each research experience, so then I would get an extra letter for Harvard. Has anyone been accepted without letters from all research experiences?

Thanks

Jessica was accepted without any research experience so she, of course, didn't have any letters from PI's.

I applied to Harvard last year, and only submitted letters from 2 of the 3 PI's I'd worked with (I had started a new position in June of the year I applied, and didn't feel comfortable asking for a letter that quickly). I still received an interview, but not an acceptance. They may have just not noticed, since I submitted 6 letters total.