Do we have to send LOR's to every school we apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a place on the AMCAS application to submit LORs (like via Interfolio.) So, are we expected to forward these letters to the medical schools along with our secondaries? When and how does this work?

Members don't see this ad.

If your school has a comittee process it's all handled by that; you just tell them when you send in a secondary app. If not, I would think that your school's premed office would still handle it all anyway, again you'd just tell them to send your LORs when you send in a secondary.

If you use Interfolio, YOU have to send out your letters of rec to each school individually when you send in your secondary applications. No one else is going to do it for you. That also means you will have to pay $5 to send your set of letters to every single school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Trek-

Don't go sending in your letters to schools until they ask for them. Otherwise they will just get shredded and they'll ask for them again.

bkmonkey--

So you mean schools will ask you to send LORs along with the secondary application? Or before that?

Schools will ask you to send in your LOR's.

Dr Trek 1 said:
bkmonkey--

So you mean schools will ask you to send LORs along with the secondary application? Or before that?

With a lot of schools, the first contact you'll have is when they send the secondary. Typically, either on the form or a pmphlet or cover letter, they'll list the things they need to make your application complete. Among the list will be the LORs and - more importantly? - a check.

Send in your LORs when you send in your secondary. I don't know how Interfolio works, but my undergrad had a LOR service...my references sent my letters to the office, and then notified the office when and where you wanted your packet of letters sent. It was so much easier than giving my professors a stack of addressed envelopes!

Don't try to send your LORs in to AMCAS...the references go with your secondaries, not the AMCAS.

What about the Recommender form that each school provides that has a "check-off" list in regards to the student's personal attributes?

Do you have to bug the recommender EACH time one of those comes out? I figured you could just have 20 real letters sent to the pre-health office, and they then divvy them out to the respective schools.

This is problematic because (a) the doctor/prof/employer is a busy person and would probably get annoyed if you pestered them 20 times, and (b) one of the professors lives very far away.

Could somebody please clarify this? I'm applying NEXT year, but it wouldn't hurt to figure out a plan at this point. :confused:

What if the LORs are sent and rec'd before the secondary application is sent out? My undergrad does not have a committee in which LORs are sent out at the same time. I know that 2 of my LORs have already gone out.

dirtydawg said:
What if the LORs are sent and rec'd before the secondary application is sent out? My undergrad does not have a committee in which LORs are sent out at the same time. I know that 2 of my LORs have already gone out.

They're destroyed. Usually.

dirtydawg said:

I say call the schools and make sure before you freak out.

have any of you used Interfolio or one of the similar services online? My school does not have a premedical office so we are on our own to take care of LORs along with everything else. I would hate to bother the profs a million times but don't know if any of those online services are any good. Any thoughts?