Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
It seems like a meaningless hoop to jump through. Of course I'm grateful for the II, but the interviewer's job was to show up and interview me. It just seems incredibly insincere and unnecessary.

About the Ads

It's recommended but it likely won't affect you if you don't. The exception seems to be Georgetown (and George Washington?) where they have the silly expectation that you do.

bears1992

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I did not send one (I didn't even know that was a thing) and I got accepted to the first school I interviewed at. I honestly think that thank-you note would have no way to affect your chances because by then, the interviewer has already sent in his/her evaluation to the admissions committee.

longhaul3

2+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2016
If you feel it's insincere, then don't...but just because it's someone's job doesn't mean you shouldn't say thank you. We thank people for doing their job all the time.

Also the person interviewing you is probably a well-meaning volunteer and has some combination of patients to see, research to work on, and grandchildren to spoil after you leave.

Reactions: jm192

Chelsea FC

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
It seems like a meaningless hoop to jump through. Of course I'm grateful for the II, but the interviewer's job was to show up and interview me. It just seems incredibly insincere and unnecessary.
I never sent one even at schools that people say they are a unofficial "requirement" that most students do. didnt stop me from getting acceptances, I actually hate the whole ass kissing nature about this interviewing process and raged about it in these forums last year.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's polite to. Interviewers are not being paid to interview you. They are doing it because they think it's an important step in helping to cultivate the next generations of physicians. Saying thanks is a nice thing to do.

Reactions: bobeanie95

onceawolverine

2+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2014
Status
Medical Student
but the interviewer's job was to show up and interview me.
a) they're not being paid to interview you
b) idk but the way you phrased this is super self-centered just fyi
It just seems incredibly insincere
Well damn dont express gratitude if you don't feel gratitude, but if you're really not grateful to be interviewed at a program then the program probably shouldn't be that excited about you anyway.

Reactions: WedgeDawg
Jul 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Its just polite. From what adcoms have said they usually get their notes on you filed away pretty fast, so it will seldom impact their evaluation.

What i usually worry about, to be honest, is what to say on 'em. "Thanks for interviewing me" seems so generic, but what can you say? "Thanks for asking me about my favorite book. Man that was fun to answer!" And do they really spend more than 2 seconds reading them?

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
I never sent one even at schools that people say they are a unofficial "requirement" that most students do. didnt stop me from getting acceptances, I actually hate the whole ass kissing nature about this interviewing process and raged about it in these forums last year.
It's not ass kissing to express genuine gratitude. Again, most people who interview aren't getting paid for it. They do it because they think it matters.

I still consider the person who interviewed me at the program I ended up attending to be a mentor. They make an effort to catch up with me at least once a semester; bought me lunch last month just to say 'hey'. When I sent my thank you, they responded kindly and used my nickname, rather than my official one. They were the one who called me to accept me to my school. And they've been genuinely helpful and given me good advice since I got here. Maybe they would have been that awesome either way, but I sure don't resent the fact that I took all of 5min to let them know that I appreciated their time after my interview.

jm192

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2009
Never Neverland
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol
There is a lot of ass kissing and "playing the game" for the whole process.

Unfortunately it happens again for residency and fellowships and again for real jobs.

So quit bit#%ing and do it.

Reactions: Anonimus.Maximus
OP
Anonimus.Maximus

Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
a) they're not being paid to interview you
b) idk but the way you phrased this is super self-centered just fyi

Well damn dont express gratitude if you don't feel gratitude, but if you're really not grateful to be interviewed at a program then the program probably shouldn't be that excited about you anyway.
Yeah, that sounded awful. I was in the middle of trying to write a note after an interview with a guy who was surprisingly critical of his school (like, he tore into some aspects of it), so I was pretty frustrated when I posted this. I felt disingenuous saying what a great representative of it he was.

Chelsea FC

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
It's not ass kissing to express genuine gratitude. Again, most people who interview aren't getting paid for it. They do it because they think it matters.

I still consider the person who interviewed me at the program I ended up attending to be a mentor. They make an effort to catch up with me at least once a semester; bought me lunch last month just to say 'hey'. When I sent my thank you, they responded kindly and used my nickname, rather than my official one. They were the one who called me to accept me to my school. And they've been genuinely helpful and given me good advice since I got here. Maybe they would have been that awesome either way, but I sure don't resent the fact that I took all of 5min to let them know that I appreciated their time after my interview.
Im not talking about people genuinely wanting to show gratitude, I am talking about the schools who all but tell applicants to lick every side of their a*ses to get a chance of an acceptance , I am talking about the feeling that writing one is "low key"obligatory from fellow applicants on SDN and the school hence why I mentioned mentioned unofficial requirement before my statement . This along with the why this school really irks me didnt think I needed to put the qualifier "if you genuinely want to do it because I thought that was already assumed"

Chelsea FC

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
If paying money, writing all those essays and traveling across the country all with a smile on my face doesn't show gratitude then they can piss off. Schools arent doing you a favor by interviewing or accepting you its a mutual transaction them being volunteers doesnt change that. If you genuinely click with a interviewer and want to write a letter saying thanks then write your heart out but dont feel obligated to do so.
At the end of every interview I stand up smile and give my interviewer a handshake and thank them for their time that should be enough.

About the Ads