Do we list all med schools on FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwest

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I'm trying to fill out the FAFSA for 2003-2004 and was wondering if I should put in all the medical schools I applied to in the school list. Anyone know? There's only enough room for 9 schools. Does each medical school have a FAFSA code? I'm confused...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, all schools have a FAFSA code. I think you are supposed to list them all, however if you only list some of them, you can always add a school later. Search the old financial aid threads. We talked extensively about this stuff last year, but I've forgotten some of the details.

So if you still have active applications at more than 9 schools, what do you do? I'd like to send mine out as soon as possible, but maybe by waiting till the end of January I'll have fewer schools to list. I'm really not sure what would be best. Does it matter when you turn in the FAFSA, as long as it's before the deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I mistaken? you guys seem to already have all the necessary documents require to fill your FAFSA. Do you guy already do your income tax and get it back. I think everybody starts doing their by February!!!

It's possible to gather all the info you need for the FAFSA in december, and all you need for taxes except a few forms like a W-2, but still know exactly what will be on the form. Waiting until Feb is unnecessary, and can make you less likely to get grant money if they pool is limited. You don't have to sumbit your income taxes to fill out the FAFSA, only complete and sign them. I submitted the FAFSA in Jan last year, but sent in my taxes (which were completed in Jan) later, because I didn't want to send the IRS any money before I had to.

If you have more schools to apply to than the amount of spaces on the FAFSA, you fill it out with the first six (is it nine this year? It was six last year.) Then after you get confirmation, you "correct" your FAFSA, by changing the schools to the next bunch of nine, and if you are like I was, you wait for confirmation and correct it again.

If you file online, it takes only a day or two to get confirmation and then change the schools. If you read the instructions, this is what they tell you to do, and they don't actually remove the schools you initially listed. So all the schools will get your info.

As to deadlines, it depends on the school. Some give out money as they get applications, and may run out of the best funding if you are later than other applicants, even if you are technically "on-time." Other schools have deep pockets, and won't run out.

I was told by a counselor at my undergrad school, that specializes in financial aid for educational opportunity students, to always apply on the first day of January with estimated numbers. Reason being that most programs available are on a first-come, first-serve basis. You may then go back and update the SAR with actuals at a later date but you only need to do this if a particular school asks you for the "real" numbers. You will want to get the initial application in as soon as possible in order to be "first in line" to get the grants that are out there. They will go by the initial application date, not the date that you updated the SAR for awarding $$ in the different programs.

Generally good advice, but some medical schools say that they won't look at your financial aid application until it is donw with real numbers, not estimates. So if you can get those taxes done this weekend or next, you may want to wait.

My parents told me that if you make under $7000 for the year (which may be my case) that you don't need to file taxes. Is this true? In that case, would it be better for me to wait until W2's come in before filing taxes?

Originally posted by PrincessCKNY
My parents told me that if you make under $7000 for the year (which may be my case) that you don't need to file taxes. Is this true? In that case, would it be better for me to wait until W2's come in before filing taxes?

That is true. However, if your employeer has been withholding taxes from your paycheck then you need to file to get a refund. You also have to file you have more than a certain amount of unearned income (dividends, ect.)