Do we really need a separate osteopathic subforum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To increase the general activity of the medical student forum, I propose we merge Allopathic and Osteopathic subforums.

There could be an optional Thread topic tag for MD or DO (just like there is a USMLE or COMLEX tag in the Exams subforum).

I understand why there are separate pre-allo and pre-osteo subforums, but there are far fewer med students than pre-meds on these boards. I think we need a little consolidation.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 33 users
yeah i don't see any reason for the division, they have all the same stuff we do with the addition of OMM.

Reactions: 15 users
To increase the general activity of the medical student forum, I propose we merge Allopathic and Osteopathic subforums.

There could be an optional Thread topic tag for MD or DO (just like there is a USMLE or COMLEX tag in the Exams subforum).

I understand why there are separate pre-allo and pre-osteo subforums, but there are far fewer med students than pre-meds on these boards. I think we need a little consolidation.

That subforum is more holistic.

Reactions: 97 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Separate but equal

Reactions: 25 users

Traffic is not what's keeping activity low on this sub-forum, it's the toxicity.

A temporary ban on NP/PA threads would have more utility

Reactions: 20 users
Traffic is not what's keeping activity low on this sub-forum, it's the toxicity.

A temporary ban on NP/PA threads would have more utility

I dunno, preallo is much more toxic and has a lot of traffic

Reactions: 11 users
You can merge our residencies, but these sub-forums is where I draw the line

Reactions: 52 users
I wish there could just be one "NP/PA taking all our jerbs" sticky at the top, and everyone could just fill that with 500 pages of bickering.

I've briefly browsed the osteopathic forums here and there (been a while FWIW), and it seems like a lot more school specific stuff and bitching about OMM (which wouldn't really have a role in the allopathic forum).

What you could do is - have a general medical student forum (similar to the surgical residency forums, for example), with a separate sub-forum about osteopathic (since they do everything allopaths do anyways) specific issues. Then all the school specific threads could be moved into the school specific thread sub-forum that's within the allopathic part.

Reactions: 18 users
I wish there could just be one "NP/PA taking all our jerbs" sticky at the top, and everyone could just fill that with 500 pages of bickering.

I've briefly browsed the osteopathic forums here and there (been a while FWIW), and it seems like a lot more school specific stuff and bitching about OMM (which wouldn't really have a role in the allopathic forum).

What you could do is - have a general medical student forum (similar to the surgical residency forums, for example), with a separate sub-forum about osteopathic (since they do everything allopaths do anyways) specific issues. Then all the school specific threads could be moved into the school specific thread sub-forum that's within the allopathic part.

I like the bottom idea. The only time I even go in the osteopathic forums is when I'm in my school specific thread or have questions about the merger. Maybe if I've got a question about other schools, but I don't really see a reason why there needs to be a whole osteopathic sub-forum.

Reactions: 1 user
HELL NO. I think that forum serves a very specific purpose and believe it is fulfilling that purpose well. It will just complicate things if the two forums merge.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To safeguard the super secret palm five point heart exploding technique?
No, that technique is no longer reimbursed ... thanks Obamacare.

If there is enough interest, I could combine the forums and create an osteopathic subforum.

Also, posting MD vs X threads needs to quit. This has been discussed by medical students ad nauseum for the past 30+ years. Once in practice, you'll find there are real problems to deal with ... concerns about titles and training are distractions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 49 users

If there is enough interest, I could combine the forums and create an osteopathic subforum.

Also, posting MD vs X threads needs to quit. This has been discussed by medical students ad nauseum for the past 30+ years. Once in you get into practice, you'll find there are real problems to deal with ... concerns about titles and training are distractions.
I think its for the best.

Interesting how its usually the osteopaths that come into the allopathic forum and not vice versa.

Interesting how its usually the osteopaths that come into the allopathic forum and not vice versa.
To be fair I venture there sometimes to see what they are plotting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users

Thats usually because there is more traffice going on the allopathic forum and because MD students really have no need to hash out a discussion about osteopathic related topics regarding OMM, or the merger, or aspirations/chances about doing ENT or derm or I6 CT surgery as a DO. Its probably more entertaining for an MD student to take a looksie haha.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 13 users
I don't see much overlap in topics.

Reactions: 1 users

I visit both! Pretty interesting to see perspectives about the merger in the osteopathic med forum.

(The whoot whoot posts are to die for)

Reactions: 7 users
The reason why there's less traffic in osteo is because "allopathic" has become "general medical student issues" and osteopathic has become "issues specific to osteopathic students."

There's nothing special about the Allo forum. I would actually say there's no need for an "allopathic" forum, it should just be the "general medical student" forum. The issues in allo pretty much affect all medical students. There are very few issues that affect MD students that don't also affect DOs.

Reactions: 21 users
To be fair I venture there sometimes to see what they are plotting.

Don't bother. In OMM the first thing we learn is the osteopathic code. What, you thought that was a declaration of principles? Nah uh. It's an impressively complicated cipher intended to keep our secrets safe from the MDs. You may THINK we're talking about the merger, residency chances, and unchecked school expansion, but any first-semester OMS1 knows better.

Reactions: 10 users

Interesting how just about every post I see come from you is unsupported drivel

Don't bother. In OMM the first thing we learn is the osteopathic code. What, you thought that was a declaration of principles? Nah uh. It's an impressively complicated cipher intended to keep our secrets safe from the MDs. You may THINK we're talking about the merger, residency chances, and unchecked school expansion, but any first-semester OMS1 knows better.
Ooo, is there an AT Stills decoder ring ?

They are two distinct and separate populations of medical students with their own unique challenges and concerns. Why would you combine them? Everyone can browse all the forums they please anyway. And I have no interest in reading about DO-specific concerns.

Reactions: 5 users
Ooo, is there an AT Stills decoder ring ?

Well yeah, but it's sitting in a vault under KCOM and only the AOA higher-ups are allowed to access it (though I've heard it's mostly for ceremonial purposes now and the occasional seance). Us plebs have had to use a secret handshake since 1972 or so.

If there is enough interest, I could combine the forums and create an osteopathic sub.

Sounds great.

Do the Osteopathic med students want this merger? I didn't see a similar thread on the Osteo side.

Do the Osteopathic med students want this merger? I didn't see a similar thread on the Osteo side.
Most of us probably don't care either way.

Reactions: 6 users
Separate but (somewhat) equal.

Most students do, but the AOA leadership is holding on, citing our unique identity.

I'm here all day folks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Playing devil's advocate, only a few of those threads would even "need" to go in an osteopathic sub-forum. Most of the ones you listed would be more at home in one of the other sub-forums like the COMLEX specific one, clinical rotations sub-forums, or residency forums.

Personally, as a DO student, I really don't care if they're merged or not. I'll still end up browsing the same threads anyway. I do think most of what I see on either forum is relevant to both DO and MD students though.

Last edited:
Are a majority of the proponents DO students in this thread?

Playing devil's advocate, only a few of those threads would even "need" to go in an osteopathic sub-forum. Most of the ones you listed would be more at home in one of the other sub-forums like the COMLEX specific one, clinical rotations sub-forums, or residency forums.

Personally, as a DO student, I really don't care if they're merged or not. I'll still end up browsing the same threads anyway. I do think most of what I see on either forum is relevant to both DO and MD students though.
Sure, but even currently some of those threads should be in the complex specific forum and are not. I am unsure if moderation will become more stringent post proposed merger.

or just leave it as it is...because that works

Aren't you in like a constant state of triggered? All your posts are rants.
Stating opinion that may differ from your own doesn't equal "ranting."

As a serious answer, from a DO, most of us probably wouldn't care, just make a subforum at the top.

But it has to be called "Hogwarts College of Osteopathic Medicine".

Reactions: 12 users