DO without experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffsatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to be accepted to a DO school without having DO experience on my application? I apply this summer and I am very set on DO and not MD but I don't have any background. Will this hurt my chances of being accepted. I know DO schools look for strong committment to the osteopathic profession, and I have the committment, but not the experience. Any advice would be greatly apprecitated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

tiffsatt-

All the admissions counselors I have spoken to say that you don't need to have D.O. "experience", but they want to make sure you know what Osteopathic Medicine IS.
There are quite a few books out there to give you a background or idea on Osteopathic Medicine. One great book is "The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America", by Norman Gevitz.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 05-04-2000).]

You don't have to have experience. It IS important, however, to get a letter of recommendation from an osteopath. A freiend of mine gave me the names of some osteopaths. I called them up, went to talk with them, ask them questions about osteopathy. Got a letter of recommendation from one. It's important that you demonstarte by your actions that you've explored the topic enought to talk with DO's and get a letter. Most DO's will be willing to help you out.