DO without experience?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by tiffsatt, May 4, 2000.

1. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member
    10+ Year Member

Is it possible to be accepted to a DO school without having DO experience on my application? I apply this summer and I am very set on DO and not MD but I don't have any background. Will this hurt my chances of being accepted. I know DO schools look for strong committment to the osteopathic profession, and I have the committment, but not the experience. Any advice would be greatly apprecitated.
    Thanks

2. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    tiffsatt-

All the admissions counselors I have spoken to say that you don't need to have D.O. "experience", but they want to make sure you know what Osteopathic Medicine IS.
    There are quite a few books out there to give you a background or idea on Osteopathic Medicine. One great book is "The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America", by Norman Gevitz.

------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 05-04-2000).]

3. emmbin

emmbin New Member

You don't have to have experience. It IS important, however, to get a letter of recommendation from an osteopath. A freiend of mine gave me the names of some osteopaths. I called them up, went to talk with them, ask them questions about osteopathy. Got a letter of recommendation from one. It's important that you demonstarte by your actions that you've explored the topic enought to talk with DO's and get a letter. Most DO's will be willing to help you out.