Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DO without experience?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by tiffsatt, May 4, 2000.

1. tiffsatt

tiffsatt Member

Is it possible to be accepted to a DO school without having DO experience on my application? I apply this summer and I am very set on DO and not MD but I don't have any background. Will this hurt my chances of being accepted. I know DO schools look for strong committment to the osteopathic profession, and I have the committment, but not the experience. Any advice would be greatly apprecitated.
    Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    tiffsatt-

All the admissions counselors I have spoken to say that you don't need to have D.O. "experience", but they want to make sure you know what Osteopathic Medicine IS.
    There are quite a few books out there to give you a background or idea on Osteopathic Medicine. One great book is "The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America", by Norman Gevitz.

------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"

[This message has been edited by JPHazelton (edited 05-04-2000).]

4. emmbin

emmbin New Member

You don't have to have experience. It IS important, however, to get a letter of recommendation from an osteopath. A freiend of mine gave me the names of some osteopaths. I called them up, went to talk with them, ask them questions about osteopathy. Got a letter of recommendation from one. It's important that you demonstarte by your actions that you've explored the topic enought to talk with DO's and get a letter. Most DO's will be willing to help you out.