Do You Address Religious Leaders By Their Honorary Titles in Clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
For example, Father, Sister, Reverend Mother, Rabbi, etc.

I saw a Buddhist Monasteryspiritual leader who requested to be addressed as "His Holy Teacher." This seemed a little over the top to me...

Members don't see this ad.

I do.

Sister mary
Rabbi schlomo
Officer Murphy
Father mulcahey

They like it. It means you understand what they are.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"Hey man..."

"Good to see you ma'am..."

Veterinarians, optometrists, physicians: certainly.
Army Colonels : No doubt

My worst patients have been “retired preachers” so I will say no on religious figures.

Mr and Mz. I'm not going to call anyone father who didn't raise me, or anyone sister than isn't related to me.

They don't have the right to impose their religious views on me.

Reactions: 1 users

I saw a Buddhist Monasteryspiritual leader who requested to be addressed as "His Holy Teacher." This seemed a little over the top to me...
That’s pretty long.

I will generally do military ranks if requested and a shorter pastor/father/doctor title if requested. I resort to mr/mrs otherwise. I will generally avoid first names unless they are adamant.

with a “most holy teacher?” I’d probably just resort to a lot of “you”. At some point requests get out of hand.

Yes- we are Catholic and I certainly do so. It is a sign of respect. If they prefer something else, they will generally say so.

If a patient wanted to be addressed as "His Holy Teacher", I would do so. If someone asked me to address them with a title that was profane or disrespectful, I would not do so.

Some physicians prefer to be called "doctor" when they are patients. I, as a patient, will respond to anything and don't care.

yes, but I do put a limit to religious titles that I can, well, verify and feel comfortable with.

not really the best example, but I would agree to "Professor" but not necessarily "Doctor", although some professors have doctorates.