do you ALWAYS give transcripts for LOR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi Everybody

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it customary to give your evaluator copies of your transcripts when they write you letters of recommendation?

I have a few boo boo's I am not proud of, and I do not want to detract from my recommendation. The profs I have chosen are the classes where I have really stood out, and I would hate for them to see the past (a past that has contributed to my less than stellar GPA) and say what the heck is she thinking??

Anyone have any suggestions for getting around this? What info have you given them?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never had anybody ask for mine. I'll sometimes remind them of the grades that I got in the classes that I took from them. That might be something you might want to try - just tell the people you're applying to what you got in their classes.

On the whole, though, I don't see how they need to see the grades you've gotten in every single class...

The only person I gave my trancripts to was the doc I interned with for a quarter, as he was not at all familiar with my academic background. The three profs who wrote my required letters never asked, and I never offered. I did give them a resume with all my work experience, volunteering and EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I had a lot of outside activities that my undergrad profs didn't know about, and a lot of college activities that my current letter writers didn't know about, I put together a CV with my GPAs, MCAT scores, employment and activities. I know they appreciated it. It helped them get a handle on what I had been up to.

I didn't give any of my recommenders my transcripts.

I did however give them a copy of my personal essay printed off of the AMCAS application. It gave them a better indication as to why I want to be a doctor.

For those interested, I watched my very dear friend die from Ovarian cancer, which made me feel helpless and angry enough that I felt I had to go back to school and become an oncologist.

My personal essay gave my recommenders a different view of me, something that was more passionate and emotional. They said it really helped them to write a more heartfelt view of me as a person, student and future caring doctor.

Amy