Do you believe in Karma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndingMySamsara

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I did a lot of wonderful things for people in this life and through\out my past lives. Hopefully, a positive karma will land me an admission to ummm lets say John's Hopkins!~

Members don't see this ad.

I think I did a lot of wonderful things for people in this life and through\out my past lives. Hopefully, a positive karma will land me an admission to ummm lets say John's Hopkins!~

karma does not work like that. karma is still karma-specific. this means that you can't just keep on praying to get a good mcat score, for example. your karma is studying for a few months before the mcat. so, karma in its literal sense means work.

you need to chill out. all your posts have been about demanding explanations about being on hold and sobbing about backup plans. there's still time to get interviewed...have you maybe asked ppl if there are any weak points in your app? In the meantime, you can work on that so you don't drive yourself INSANE :D

Members don't see this ad :)
For the love of god, it's only NOVEMBER!

I'm still waiting for her to post a thread titled "what are my chances" or cleverly disguising it as "check out my new mdapp page."

I heard a story once about a king who did many good deeds; disguised within his actions, he had a desire to be deeply rewarded. The king asked Buddha if his karma had improved because of the tremendous work he had done. The Buddha replied that it had not. :idea:

I heard a story once about a king who did many good deeds; disguised within his actions, he had a desire to be deeply rewarded. The king asked Buddha if his karma had improved because of the tremendous work he had done. The Buddha replied that it had not. :idea:

the moral of the story is (in OP's terms), focus on your application(gpa,mcat, EC,etc) and don't worry about your acceptances.

For the love of god, it's only NOVEMBER!

I'm still waiting for her to post a thread titled "what are my chances" or cleverly disguising it as "check out my new mdapp page."

Do you guys know how it feels to be alone? My roomates are already in medical and pharmacy schools, and many of my friends whom I have done better than are already attending medical schools or have been accepted this year. I have gone through a lot. Also, I have put in a ton of effort, giving my all, yet, no pot of gold to show for it so far. Everyone in my neighborhood asks me about my status all the time. I just smile and say, "I should get in." I think I deserve a break. If not, oh well? Maybe, all my hard work will build me up for the greatness in my next life. I am still looking to break through.

Do you guys know how it feels to be alone? My roomates are already in medical and pharmacy schools, and many of my friends whom I have done better than are already attending medical schools or have been accepted this year. I have gone through a lot. Also, I have put in a ton of effort, giving my all, yet, no pot of gold to show for it so far. Everyone in my neighborhood asks me about my status all the time. I just smile and say, "I should get in." I think I deserve a break. If not, oh well? Maybe, all my hard work will build me up for the greatness in my next life. I am still looking to break through.

All my friends are M2s or working PAs or have some other career in the real world. I am still plugging away at getting into med school. I am absurdly calm this time around (in terms of application) and am just going with the flow...taking care of the paperwork and stuff. I have not received a peep from any schools as far as post-secondary activites go.

Just chill out, relax, what's done is done so no sense trying to analyze what ifs and what should happen. If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts...

Do you guys know how it feels to be alone? My roomates are already in medical and pharmacy schools, and many of my friends whom I have done better than are already attending medical schools or have been accepted this year. I have gone through a lot. I put in a ton of effort too yet, no pot of gold. I think I deserve a break. If not, oh well?
Maybe, all my hard work will build me up for the greatness in my next life.

Yes, in fact I do know what it feels like to be alone. Everyone thinks their particular path is the most difficult... :rolleyes:

I don't want to play the game of "my misery is worse than yours", but I've had students that are now probably attendings, okay? In fact, I shadowed one of my friends just a few weeks ago. Many of my friends are successful professionals and are married with kids. I gave up my job, however, and came back to school after many years away. I worked my ass off to get a 4.00 in an informal post-bacc program and now I am waiting in suburban hell for my outcome. :) Will it be enough? That's anybody's guess. Am I entitled to anything? Nope. If it all works out I'll be a 34 y/o MSI. If it doesn't work out, I'm going to re-assess my situation, learn from my mistakes, and climb back up to try again. I have no regrets.

So, yes, I think I understand your affliction well. You are oozing entitlement. It's quite a common affliction amongst premedical students. There is nothing inherently wrong with that attitude, but in my experience it tends to increase suffering and stop the learning/creative process. You are not a victim of your situation; learn to take full responsibility for all of it.

I invite you to accept yourself as you are right now and start to move forward by taking actions that you know you can accomplish with heart; do what is necessary for medical school acceptance artfully, with love. Take things one step at a time and be here now... ;)

Yes, in fact I do know what it feels like to be alone. Everyone thinks their particular path is the most difficult... :rolleyes:

I don't want to play the game of "my misery is worse than yours", but I've had students that are now probably attendings, okay? In fact, I shadowed one of my friends just a few weeks ago. Many of my friends are successful professionals and are married with kids. I gave up my job, however, and came back to school after many years away. I worked my ass off to get a 4.00 in an informal post-bacc program and now I am waiting in suburban hell for my outcome. :) Will it be enough? That's anybody's guess. Am I entitled to anything? Nope. If it all works out I'll be a 34 y/o MSI. If it doesn't work out, I'm going to re-assess my situation, learn from my mistakes, and climb back up to try again. I have no regrets.

So, yes, I think I understand your affliction well. You are oozing entitlement. It's quite a common affliction amongst premedical students. There is nothing inherently wrong with that attitude, but in my experience it tends to increase suffering and stop the learning/creative process. You are not a victim of your situation; learn to take full responsibility for all of it.

I invite you to accept yourself as you are right now and start to move forward by taking actions that you know you can accomplish with heart; do what is necessary for medical school acceptance artfully, with love. Take things one step at a time and be here now... ;)

There we go...take her advice and take responsiblity. We are all in similar situations, I'm also a reapplicant and have all kinds of friends who have real life jobs and are in medical school/law school.

We aren't entitled to anything, and the sooner you recognize that the easier this process will be for you.

when you get that acceptance in hand you're going to look back on all of this and realize that you've wasted so much time freaking out. i know waiting is tough, but you're not the only one.

and if you think that I don't know what you're going through then you have it all wrong. just have a look at my blog. i mean i was a dental school reject! hard work does pay off.

I think nearly everyone knows what it is like to be alone. You know what you do? You adapt...maybe find friends outside of the premed world. It isn't life or death. Yes it is a painful process right now, but once it is through it is through....and will be replaced by another process which you'll be wishing was done with. Just be patient....what's the worst that can happen? You have to wait a little longer? I am thinking there are much worse things that could be happening than that. ;)

I want to stand up for the OP. I know this process has been extremely stressful and posting obsessive comments on SDN may be a good way to get some stuff out! I mean my friends can only handle so much complaining. She’s not hurting anyone, and people should try to be more encouraging. Isn’t that the intended purpose of the website! Keep posting EndingMySamsara! Talk with your application with a professor or someone not on SDN (that’s my personal advice)

Isn't karma supposed to affect your next life or something? How the hell do you know you've done good things in your past lives?

nah, i dont believe in karma.