Do you bring lunch to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beezies

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I can't picture bringing a bagged lunch, and yet, my finances probably require that.

Members don't see this ad.

I used to, and several of my classmates still do. I eat breakfast and usually dinner at home and for lunch I usually eat out with my friends. Often I'm too pressed for time in the mornings to make a lunch (I frequently skip breakfast) and that's the routine that works best for me. Dining out can get pricey and that is why I try to limit it to one meal.

i would say almost 60% of students at vcu bring their lunch.. when i bring my lunch it probably costs me more than buying though.. i like to eat healthy stuff if i make it sooo it ends up costing an arm and leg.. so i say forget it and just buy lunch:)

anyways most people bring lunch

Members don't see this ad :)
rocknightmare said:
i would say almost 60% of students at vcu bring their lunch.. when i bring my lunch it probably costs me more than buying though.. i like to eat healthy stuff if i make it sooo it ends up costing an arm and leg.. so i say forget it and just buy lunch:)

anyways most people bring lunch

better yet, live close enough so you can go home for lunch : )

phremius said:

phremius u haven't updated your blog in awhile.. missing out on some nyc expierences!! :)

We have one fridge for 4 years of freshman-senior. It is packed to the brim. Often times it is hard to find your lunch, and you get to fight over the 3 microwaves available to heat up your food...

I bring my lunch 90% of the time unless there is a lunch and learn.

I carried lunch a total of 3 days since I started.
Usually, pick up something in the nasty cafeteria, or go out with friends for a bite to eat(so many malls/eating places within 5 minutes of the dental school, at least how I drive ;)).

beezies said:
Just curious. I can't picture bringing a bagged lunch, and yet, my finances probably require that.

I would say about half the students bring their lunch everyday. Why is it you can't picture yourself bringing a bagged lunch? Are you worried about what other people will think?

yes. also worried about the backback that will hang off my a$$.

Here's a thought. In undergrad, my brother and I attended the same school. He always complained about me having more money than he did. The reason? I always took my lunch to school rather than going out as he and his friends did. If you figure spending $5-7/day on lunch every week, you're looking at spending between $100-$140/month on food. Over the course of the academic year, you've shelled out between $1200-$1700 on lunch alone. If you brown bag it, you're spending maybe $2/day on lunch depending on your shopping habits. Think of the other things you could be doing with the money you save :laugh: Not to mention you have control over what you're eating (think here of that movie "supersize me").

beezies said:

Given how busy school can be, it would seem that packing a healthy lunch could save you from looking like a pile of crap at the end of four years from eating out all the time. I start next year and I plan to bag a lunch every day specifically to keep my nutrition balanced. Besides, you can use the time to study so you have more time at night.

bpenly said:
Given how busy school can be, it would seem that packing a healthy lunch could save you from looking like a pile of crap at the end of four years from eating out all the time. I start next year and I plan to bag a lunch every day specifically to keep my nutrition balanced. Besides, you can use the time to study so you have more time at night.

Agreed 100% speaking from experience you'll save $$ and eat better.

quite a few students at my school bring their lunch, and our refrigerator is always packed with bagged lunches in the morning.

phremius said:

yeah.. and a quick 20 min nap everyday :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Darksunshine said:
...I bring my lunch 90% of the time unless there is a lunch and learn.

Lunch and Learns are the best. I always try to make them for the free food. Sometimes I'm bad: I'll storm into the room, push everyone aside, grab my hoagie or slices of pizza and leave. On those days my reasoning is that I'll go for the lunch but I'll go learn elsewhere.

beezies said:

Are you embarrassed by your sister's hand-me-down Smurfette lunch box?

Especially when all the cool kids like me have Transformer lunch boxes.

transformers_front.jpg

You can't tell me I don't look like a pimp pulling my PB&J out of that.

12YearOldKid said:
Are you embarrassed by your sister's hand-me-down Smurfette lunch box?

Especially when all the cool kids like me have Transformer lunch boxes.

transformers_front.jpg

You can't tell me I don't look like a pimp pulling my PB&J out of that.

When the cool kids like you pull out those lunch boxes I just pretend that I didn't bring a lunch that day and buy food.

TKD said:
When the cool kids like you pull out those lunch boxes I just pretend that I didn't bring a lunch that day and buy food.

Our school gave us lunch bags at orientation and I'd say by senior year, a good chunk of the class was still bringing lunch in those blue lunch bags. Those of us who couldn't be bothered and disciplined to bring lunch usually bought unhealthy food in the cafeteria. Mmmm..... tater tots.....

griffin04 said:
Our school gave us lunch bags at orientation and I'd say by senior year, a good chunk of the class was still bringing lunch in those blue lunch bags. Those of us who couldn't be bothered and disciplined to bring lunch usually bought unhealthy food in the cafeteria. Mmmm..... tater tots.....

I had some warmed up pizza today for lunch and it was good. more updates tomorrow :D

Cool box!!!

TKD said:

I usually bring my lunch in a thermis so I don't have to wait in line for the microwave. :) I'd say I bring my lunch 95% of the time.