SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Do you ever just have really unproductive study days?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by bumpy, Dec 5, 2017 at 3:26 PM.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. bumpy

bumpy 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2014
    I seem to run into this problem kind of regularly...there are days when I'll get maybe a few hours of studying in but then run into a massive wall that makes me mostly unproductive for the rest of the day. I'll keep my laptop open with lecture material on it, but it's really just there to make me feel like I'm studying when I'm really not. I'm not exactly enjoying not studying, though, because I know I need to be hitting up the lecture material, but I can't really get on track and make myself absorb anymore of the really boring material. Anyone else ever run into this problem?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ljkeeper

ljkeeper

Apr 23, 2017
    Nah thats never happened to me before. I always study like a well oiled machine 100% of the time. But for real though it happens to everyone at some point. When I find myself not being productive I take a break from studying and do something I enjoy for awhile than come back to studying with a new focus. It keeps me from getting burnt out I feel like as well. You just gotta recognize when you aren't being productive and take a break. There is no point in wasting your 4 hours staring at a screen and not learning anything.

pbrocks15 and Newyawk like this.
  4. Newyawk

Newyawk

Sep 30, 2016
    Second this. Ive found that if you use your break right (play sports for a few hours if thats your thing or watch a few episodes of tv etc) you actually are more productive. When you look back at what you accomplished that day you'll be happier. Also, you wont feel like crap for wasting 6 hours on the internet when you really shouldve been studying. The internet isnt productive but exercising/hanging with friends etc is.

90% productivity for 5 hours is equal to 45% productivity for 10. Use those other 5 hours and do something you enjoy/healthy

himitsuda and Gurby like this.
  5. GrignardsReagent

GrignardsReagent Just an average medical student

Jun 5, 2016
    Midwest
    Very true. Seems to be getting worse as the semester is winding down.

Pomodoro has been helping me at least get something done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

bumpy likes this.
  6. ChrisMack390

ChrisMack390 2+ Year Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Breaks are NOT a waste of time.

7. theonlytycrane

theonlytycrane 2+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Go hard on studying then go hard on enjoying break time. Sitting there without studying well and without relaxing well = hell.

Nucleophile1 and Gurby like this.
  8. Robin-jay

Robin-jay

Sep 23, 2017
    They are by definition ;)

ljkeeper likes this.
  9. Gurby

Gurby 2+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I think this is the key. Recognize when you're not accomplishing anything, admit defeat, go do something you enjoy instead of sitting around refreshing reddit while thinking "I should be studying". Easier said than done of course...

Newyawk and theonlytycrane like this.
  10. Lets_Run

Lets_Run SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Most of my days are unproductive... leading up to an exam. Then the fear kicks in and I cram. Get them mid 70s and take it and run.

eatkalteenbars and SouthernGent like this.
  11. Coupd'Cat

Coupd'Cat Caught in Life's Washcycle

Sep 17, 2017
    forcing myself to take short breaks every half hour or so helped keep the burnout at bay...for the most part

12. kb1900

kb1900 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Realizing this made me 200% more efficient at studying.

4 hours of intense studying nonstop with days of fatigue/low productivity <<< 8 hours (9-5) with many breaks

arcus and pbrocks15 like this.