Do you fear not getting in anywhere???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatsUppDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I try not to think about it but everytime I get a new rejection, it creeps back into my head. What are some of y'alls plan b?

Members don't see this ad.

Man I don't even want to think about it (but I do nonetheless). Honestly I would probably be pretty depressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I try not to think about it but everytime I get a new rejection, it creeps back into my head. What are some of y'alls plan b?

If you really wanna be a doctor, you'll reapply.

Sometimes it takes two or three times.
I'm proof of that and armybound is, too.
If you want it, make it happen.

However, it's too early in the game to be thinking about that. It's still early.

Indeed it is early, but I cannot help it. :scared:

Medical school was actually my second choice. I originally wanted to be a bear, but the salmon rates this year seemed pretty terrible. I'll go back to being a bear if I don't get into medical school this year.

I think about it but have never feared it. You gotta do what you can and keep on livin'.

Oh, and be the best bear you can be!

Just don't be that guy that tried to live with bears and got eaten. That would be anti-productive.

my plan b is to reapply next year.. but after that if i STILL don't get in, i'll either do a masters in biomedical engineering or medical physics, or go for physical therapy. or become a certified prosthetist. it is somewhat comforting to know that i have options :)

Plan B is continue working in research and get published, and of course reapplying next year.

Been there. Done that. If I don't get in this year, I'm not sure what else I could do to improve my application, so I'd probably go for a master's in nutrition or something.

yeah, i would just reapply. between now and this time next year i hope to be published and have graduated from grad school, and will have taught anatomy, so i hope that will help. of course i hope that will all help me get in THIS year . . . my main problem is my GPA so if i can't get in now who knows if i can next year

Members don't see this ad :)
Try not to think about it excessivly, it's only September after all.

I was really hoping DrYoda would say that he wasn't afraid, to which I could respond:

"You will be."

Man, that would have been sweet. Otherwise, I would have had to write about all this in order to set up an esoteric and mediocre movie quote. And that would have been no fun at all to read...

Of course, I think everyone has this fear. But if I don't get in, I know its not the end of the world. I'm going to be a doctor, whether it means reapplying 3 times, applying to DO, or foreign medical schools. This is the way I have to think about it to keep on pushin toward the the goal. If this is what you absolutely want to do, you'll find a way. It just depends on how much you want it.

I wouldnt be too much depressed if i won't get in anywhere, life goes on, i might take year off, just work and enjoy life, or do my MA, or go volunteer somewhere abroad or finally visit my country

I was really hoping DrYoda would say that he wasn't afraid, to which I could respond:

"You will be."

Man, that would have been sweet. Otherwise, I would have had to write about all this in order to set up an esoteric and mediocre movie quote. And that would have been no fun at all to read...

lol. Every once in awhile I answer threads with Yoda statements/grammar.

yeah, i would just reapply. between now and this time next year i hope to be published and have graduated from grad school, and will have taught anatomy, so i hope that will help. of course i hope that will all help me get in THIS year . . . my main problem is my GPA so if i can't get in now who knows if i can next year

Hope you get in since my stats are so similar to yours. ECs also.

i think i'd actually try a different career for a while. i would doubt whether medicine was for me.

YES

Today I got placed on hold at three schools

and rejected from one.

"We will review your file again after we finish reviewing the ENTIRE applicant pool."

right. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Now I wish I had applied to 25 schools. Not 12.

YES

Today I got placed on hold at three schools

and rejected from one.

"We will review your file again after we finish reviewing the ENTIRE applicant pool."

right. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Now I wish I had applied to 25 schools. Not 12.

wow, rough day dude. Keep your head up. and Good Luck:luck:

yea i think about it

you should have a plan B from the get-go. applying to jobs isnt easy. in fact, the chance of you getting one that pays well and that you enjoy is pretty low. use your schools on campus recruitment to the fullest, while exploring other options. it doesn't hurt at all to be diverse, proactive and aware of other options in life.

I worry about this every dayyyyy!

I know everyone says just relax, but seriously, that is so hard to do.

i try to be optimistic. i am on hold EVERYWHERE. but i say to myself, at least i'm not rejected.

So how many times would you guys apply before moving on? 3, 4? 10?

Just curious what you guys think of chronic re-applicants.

Also, is pursuing a master's degree common in this circumstance? Like, if you had a lower GPA from undergrad?

twelvetigers - I LOVE the avatar. and I love even more that you have a line from Brand New Day as your signature. I love that song so much. You're my hero right now. :)

Sorry, I know that didn't answer your question at all. I don't actually know the answer.

I'd encourage everyone to just be hopeful this first round. If you have competitive stats,ECs and really made an effort on your apps, you have every reason to hope that things will work out. There's also nothing further that you can do at this point.

If you aren't successful this cycle, that's the time to start to reassess your application and look for weaknesses.

I decided today that I'm going to apply to graduate school as well...

I guess it's time to start studying for the GRE.. Could anyone that has taken it PM me? I'm not entirely sure what to expect and am only giving myself until November to study.

I propose a rule for this thread. If you have more than 3 interviews already, or you have at least 1 interview at a top 10 medical school, you should not be posting. Seriously. You don't really need a plan B. It is highly unlikely you will need it.

Now, for those of us who have 1 interview or none, or are re-apps - what is Plan B?

I honestly don't know if I should apply a 3rd time. I could go Carrib. Or I could take some time off, get a practical degree, get a job, work for a while, then re-apply? Honestly I'm in a perpetual state of "WTF do I do now" these days. I've been going through this crap for a year now.

I propose a rule for this thread. If you have more than 3 interviews already, or you have at least 1 interview at a top 10 medical school, you should not be posting. Seriously. You don't really need a plan B. It is highly unlikely you will need it.

Now, for those of us who have 1 interview or none, or are re-apps - what is Plan B?

I honestly don't know if I should apply a 3rd time. I could go Carrib. Or I could take some time off, get a practical degree, get a job, work for a while, then re-apply? Honestly I'm in a perpetual state of "WTF do I do now" these days. I've been going through this crap for a year now.

Tell me about it...I even found out that 3 interviews don't guarantee you anything either last year.

reapply, of course.

Do keep in mind that if reapplication is your "Plan B", you need to start the preparation early. There is nothing wrong with starting your application upgrade (yes, you DO need to upgrade) right now even though it's relatively early in the admissions cycle. You can't wait until the last minute with no acceptance and then try to reapply. Start upgrading now and the worse that can happen is you don't have to use your Plan B.

The thing is what it is. You are either going to get in or you won't. No amount of optimism or depression is going to change whether or not you are accepted. Instead of wasting time emoting, do something positive and keep moving forward. This keeps you sane in an otherwise insane process with no guarantees and plenty of deadlines that you have to meet and exceed.

I'd reapply, but probably not right away. By the time rejection is certain it's time to fill out a new AMCAS. I would need at least a year to actually improve myself, unless the problem is something like interview skills. Many schools won't give feedback until after May 15th anyway. I'd take advantage of that though.

Also yes. Wish I'd gotten started on all this earlier.

i worry about getting rejected every day even though i haven't submitted all of my secondaries yet and am skulking around here instead. fml. also, i keep drinking coffee and diet coke to make myself stay awake to finish my apps, but the combo of caffeine + nerves is starting to make my hands shake and my heart/mind race. nice job, self. :[

Apply DO. Personally, I don't think it's worth holding yourself back an extra year for the initials as long as you can find someplace where you can see yourself getting a good education.

ooh absolutely, thats what your major is for, I majored in nursing, therefore thats my plan b.

I still have no interview invites, so I signed up to take the GRE and will be applying to Masters Programs.

I don't expect to ever be accepted to medical school, so I won't be disappointed. Plan B is to get my masters or mba and run the hospital.

Last edited:
I got this fear yesterday night. Scary.:scared:

How is it possible man that you won't get in anywhere?
If you don't get in somewhere this year, I propose a revolution on the medical school admission process.

Plan B is against my religion. :)