1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Do you feel 'smarter' after the MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by IcedCube, Apr 21, 2004.

1. IcedCube

IcedCube Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

that test broke me... :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. terzian

terzian MS4
    7+ Year Member

No. The opposite, actually.
    Try taking a practice LSAT if you want to feel smarter.
    All of your liberal arts friends will hate you, but honestly, if you took the MCAT you can smoke the LSAT no problem.
    Maybe the solution is to do an MD/JD, except if you do the JD first you'll forget how to do real work. :rolleyes:

4. Persistence101

Persistence101 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

don't worry...you're still smart. :thumbup:

5. Nuel

10+ Year Member

As I said before, the test made an abject mockery of my intelligence. I prepared for this exam, but came out feeling very stupid.

6. poof0078

poof0078 Junior Member

I feel smarter in that I accomplished the feat of taking that god awful test. Not many people can withstand an 8 hour test and still walk and talk, and perhaps function still in society. :laugh: So don't anyone out there feel stupid or feel like the MCAT crushed them. We all have the drive to be doctors and we haven't given up so everyone just hang in there!! :D

7. Nuel

10+ Year Member

I was lucky to come out alive :laugh:.

But if I have to retake this thing in August I will take more bullet-proof vests . . . just hoping I don't have to retake this test. . . God please.

8. berkeleyjess

berkeleyjess Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hopefully, you won't have to study again. In case you do, take heart, it is much easier (still takes up tons of time though) because you already know a lot about the exam that first-timers do not.

9. it is a standarized test needed to measure your abilities as a potential med. school applicant. in other words, it has its own limitations :laugh:
    Don't feel upset, I don't feel anything at all. The test just made me realize that there is lot more out there to study.
    Don't fall into the self-defeatist mentality. Get over it and just chill :cool:

10. kiahs

kiahs Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I feel like I know the general stuff in every subject tested on the mcat. For example I know how to do and aldol condensation but if it got all crazy I'd probably get lost, so I know as much as my kaplan teacher said would be tested on the mcat. Oh, Oh and that 1700 is a carbonyl stretch.

11. IcedCube

IcedCube Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

cheers to more 1700 and 3300 nmr questions, aka brain pitstops, on future mcats :luck:

12. retrpostage

retrpostage New Member

after the mcat, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that my car has a clutch. :laugh:

13. N-toxicologist

N-toxicologist the accidental tourist
    5+ Year Member

I did A LOT of verbal passages to bring my last practice score up to a 12. You see some of the same subjects come up over and over. So, in one way, I feel a little smarter, that is, I know a lot more useless information than I used to. :sleep:

HOWEVER, I used to sit in my TPR class four nights a week with people who had already graduated or had nothing to do but work, volunteer, or study for the MCAT. I definitely thought, "that's the way to do it." But no, I had to take 12 hours, work, raise children, AND try to prepare for this. I definitely felt dumber in that respect.

But, at least I now know something about symbolism in art... :laugh:

14. the_one_smiley

10+ Year Member

Just a dissenting opinion... I think the MCAT is neat in that you can actually learn something by taking it. I learned some stuff about prions and reproductive hormones from the biological sciences section. I don't feel "smarter," but I didn't know those miscellaneous facts going in.

15. AnAppleADay

AnAppleADay Red Delicious
    7+ Year Member

Wow, UNT, you get mad props as far as I'm concerned! My advisor has been trying to convince me to quit working while I study for the MCAT (financially, there's no way...). Because of this, I've been feeling like there's no way I can really prepare adequately. Granted, my job is not your typical 9-5 job, but I did manage to survive gradschool while working. Anyway, I think it's amazing that you're able to fit all of that into your life! Good for you.

16. Jonathan13180

Jonathan13180 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would LOVE to do nothing but be able to wake up and study for this exam. I do research and i work circa 10 hour days, even on weekends, so I know the frustration mounts when you want to study, but are too busy to do so. I envy "full-time" MCATers, and have a lot of respect for UNT. Goodluck to you.

17. N-toxicologist

5+ Year Member

Thanks, AnAppleADay and Jonathan, for the props! I know this is supposed to be a competitive process, but in the end, we'll all be colleagues, so I feel for ANYBODY going through this, whatever their situation. Good luck to all!

18. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No, but I learned to respect the humanities a little bit. Vert. Phys and second semester Biochem did make me feel smarter though. It made my clothes smarter too so I now own a pair of smarty pants. Wasn't that an awesome joke?

19. N-toxicologist

5+ Year Member

LOL. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!