Do you get emotional about your grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmapcpro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're used to working hard for good grades and then you get a bad grade on something that you thought you did correctly, does it knock the wind out of your sails? Do you feel all screwy inside, or do your grades generally not phase you much either way?

I'm trying to gauge my psychosis here, heh...

Members don't see this ad.

if your self worth has been determined by your grades for more than a few years now, then it is understandable.

p.s. this is in no way a contemptuous remark. i can empathize.

Well, everyone's at least a little disappointed when they don't do well on something, especially if they thought they did it correctly.

I guess it just depends on how long you let it bother you, how much you think about it, if doing poorly on that affects your performance in other areas, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grades are more than just numbers to some people. Rather than feeling upset that you simply got a C or got a D, grades are a reflection of how well you grasp a topic. I think it is understandable to be upset and frustratied when you do not understand a topic or topics as reflected in your grades. It is not that your self-worth is wrapped up in the number if you are upset about a low grade it could be you are upset about your lack of comprehension.

Originally posted by mmapcpro
If you're used to working hard for good grades and then you get a bad grade on something that you thought you did correctly, does it knock the wind out of your sails? Do you feel all screwy inside, or do your grades generally not phase you much either way?

I'm trying to gauge my psychosis here, heh...

I cannot remember a time when I didn't already know that I was going to do badly. I generally am prepared already by the time I get the test/project grade. I don't really understand how anyone can be caught off-guard unless it was some kind of project and he/she didn't understand what to include.

I agree for the most part. However, I think it can happen that say you got the details but didn't get the big picture. Often times things are presented detail by detail but then exams expect you to string the details together into the overall picture. Sometimes you may think you have the big picture but you have completely inaccurately strung the details together. So, in this case you may have thought you had a grasp on things but actually did not.

When I went back to school to do my post-bac premed classes, the first one I did was Calculus. I worked my tail off and on the first exam got a D. I was so disheartened by it, I cried. But it wasn't because I felt worthless, I just felt discouraged that I would not be able to do pre-med classes at the rate I was going and realize my goal. I got a B on the next test, and I was almost as happy about that as I was when I got into school. I'm such a drama queen.

Originally posted by Fermata
Only in subjective subjects. (Read: English)

"This 'feels' like an B- paper." For crying out loud.

Good point. I didn't take English in college but I did take philosphy. I generally always assumed the worst cause I never had a grasp of what was going on in the class. I wasn't surprised to see bad grades on my papers, though, so I was prepared.

When I get a bad grade, I know the reason was me not working as hard as I should have.

This particular situation was in a spanish class. People might say "who cares about a spanish grade", but it's 4 credits. However, it's probably more of just the let down than anything else. I just got the grade back today, so when I first posted, I was still feeling pretty ****ty about it.

I have been getting all A's on the tests and assignments, and a 100% on the midterm exam.

Then we had to turn in a portfolio that is divided into sections where we put our class notes, homework, lab work, etc. Anyway, I received a 55% on it. I really thought I did the project as instructed, but apparently I didn't hear some of the details that were required.

I have been working very hard in class, and have been doing very well. When I saw the grade on the portfolio, it was a major shock because I thought I had done it well. The professor told me that I didn't demonstrate to him through the portfolio that I am practicing my spanish and organizing my notes in a manner that will help me succeed, yet he also told me that I'm the strongest student in the class. So my initial reaction was "what do you mean I didn't demonstrate that I'm practicing...aren't you the one that grades my work?"

But now I realize the following:

1) I only have so much energy and can only do the best that I can do...since the other grades weigh more than the portfolio, screw it.

2) My grade was apparently a function of my not listening to the details that many of the other students seem to have paid attention to, so I will have to listen a bit better.

3) Time is too valuable to dwell on this stuff. It's good to look back on things and learn from my mistakes, but I can't make progress unless I move forward.

Originally posted by gschl1234
I cannot remember a time when I didn't already know that I was going to do badly. I generally am prepared already by the time I get the test/project grade. I don't really understand how anyone can be caught off-guard unless it was some kind of project and he/she didn't understand what to include.

Well I'm in a class right now where even when I answer something correctly, points are marked off. it's incredibly frustrating, especially when I usually know the material inside out.

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
Well I'm in a class right now where even when I answer something correctly, points are marked off. it's incredibly frustrating, especially when I usually know the material inside out.

Why are you being marked off for correct answers? Are your answers incomplete or are you implying that your prof/grader is plain wrong? If so, why not take it up with him/her?

Members don't see this ad :)
I stopped caring...LONG AGO. Now...I'll study as hard as I can and take whatever comes my way. I've never contested a single grade...never argued about a grade..never complained about a grade..throughout my undergraduate career. In all probability, I never will. There is no point in agonizing about grades as long as you know that you gave that midterm/project/paper 100% of your effort. As long as you know that you did everything you could to do well...there is no regrets. So even if I study hours on end for an exam and get back the assignment with a big, red 'F' on the top...(no, that's never happened to me...), I wouldn't really care. I'll take the 'F' and move on...and begin studying for the next midterm to the best of my abilities.

Something I've noticed about undergrads is that they let their prior performance on exams/papers weigh too heavily on their current effort in said class. For instance, someone who got a solid A on the 1st midterm won't study for that class for a few weeks because he'll think, "I rocked that 1st midterm...I deserve a break and I'll probably rock the 2nd midterm when it rolls around too." Please note: I'm not generalizing to all students here..just making a few observations based on what I've seen thus far in my ugrad career. Well...1 week turns into 2...2 turns into 3 and 4...and before you know it..it's 5 weeks past the 1st midterm and he's sitting in on Midterm 2 and gets ****ed by it just because he slacked off after his phenomenal performance on Midterm 1. The flip side of this is obviously more preferable...e.g: someone who gets a C on Midterm 1...then works their butt off for Midterm 2 and gets an A.

Whatever happens...I'll know I tried my best and I'm taking whatever I get with a ***-eating grin. The next exam that gets passed back to me in a class will promptly end up in the trash can of that classroom as I walk out of the room...and I'll walk out of the room with a smirk on my face.

i only get pissed about bad grades if i feel that i don't deserve them (like most people say with writing papers in humanities classes, but also with science tests which are either crazy-hard or skewed toward a topic not mentioned in lecture). other times, though, you don't study hard, get a 75, and say, "yep, saw that comin'." no big deal, there.

funny thing about getting "emotional" about good grades: i don't. at all. every time i see an 'A' on a report card, its more of a sense of relief than anything. anyone else agree?

If you get emotional over grades you don't need to be a doctor you need to see a doctor. Seriously you will slit your wrist when a patient dies. Pick up a different career like Amway.

Originally posted by doctorcynical
If you get emotional over grades you don't need to be a doctor you need to see a doctor. Seriously you will slit your wrist when a patient dies. Pick up a different career like Amway.

i disagree with mr. cynical. it's ok to overachieve, and it's ok to feel bad if you miss the mark, as long as it doesn't go overboard. Sulking over a bad grade that could have been better, for a day or so, might make some people better.

Cynical is just playing his role...I've gotten to the point where I don't pay attention to his comments anymore because I don't think he really believes 90% of what he writes...just fishing, ya know?

Anyway, I certainly don't get emotional in the positive way about an A, other than that sense of "relief" that it's over and I got through it the way I wanted to.

As far getting bad grades because of not studying is concerned, well I don't think I've ever gone into a test without studying hard for it. I don't do the "no studying until cramming the night before" that many students do. For me, I've learned that I need to look at the material a little bit each day and then finish with a nice review and practice questions to truly absorb the material. So even if plans change or I get a headache or something, I will usually still do pretty well without the final study session the day before.

And I'm not referring to getting emotional to the point where it wrecks you and you want to jump off a building. I'm talking about short term disappointment like I felt today. I was flustered by the C on the report because I didn't see it coming at all. However, I was curious about others' perspectives on this because many of my classmates don't seem to care whether they get C's, B's, or A's...they get the test back and I usually hear them say something like, "oh cool...85...better than I thought," and then they move on immediately. It takes me a couple hours at least to lament over a bad grade, look at what I did to earn that grade, and evaluate what I need to do so that I don't make the same mistake twice.

I just always found it curious that others don't seem to get any kind of anxiety at all going into a test and even less when getting the grade back...maybe if you only put 75% effort in and you can still get B's, you're more efficient (and perhaps smarter) than someone like me who puts in 150% to get that 1 letter grade higher. I dunno. I just hear about how competetive it is to get into medical/dental school, and considering that I have a past haunting me, I feel that i need to put in as much effort as possible to make up for it.

I"ll shut up now, heh...

dear guy (mmapcpro),

I know you have SMS but deal with it.

Smith-Magenis Syndrome? I do have slight cauliflower ear, but that's like a medal of honor for us grapplers. :)

Good luck getting into Stanford, btw. You're obviously dedicated to that end and I wish you the best.

Originally posted by jlee9531
nothing like an A or B to help us get in the mood aye? :laugh:

fo sheeeeeze, girl! :laugh:

I felt really sick after I recently recieved a 74 on a A+P test. But then I relized I didn't really continously study for the test, so I just figured i deserved it. Thank god he drops the lowest test grade, or else I would be screwed.

Originally posted by gschl1234
Why are you being marked off for correct answers? Are your answers incomplete or are you implying that your prof/grader is plain wrong? If so, why not take it up with him/her?

Here's the deal--sometimes he is wrong, and other times he takes off for stuff he never asked for in the first place. and I do bring it up with him. It's just frustrating to have to haggle for every question. For example, the following question appeared: "the withdraw reflex occurs when ________" and I said "...an organism encounters a painful or noxious stimulus..." he took off points for that because he wanted us to describe the reflex arch, mechanism of action etc...all of which I could have done had it been asked for directly. another question asked how actylcholine affected contractility of the frog heart we used. earlier he gave us a handout which listed various substances and their effects on the heart. and in bold, headline letters it said "actylcholine decreases contractility of the heart" (we were squirting ACh all over the frog heart) but he marked "decreases" wrong on the exam. I dunno...I just took an exam in there on monday, so I'm particularly raw about that class right now. I just don't want to have to worry about the final exam when I don't have a chance to look it over and find any discrepencies.

i was reading this other thread about dreams, and i was wondering whether anyone of you have had any dreams about getting bad grades? this happens to me sometimes. one time i even dreamed that i flunked an easy class that was only graded pass/fail and didnt even have any exams.

Originally posted by bewitched1081
i was reading this other thread about dreams, and i was wondering whether anyone of you have had any dreams about getting bad grades? this happens to me sometimes. one time i even dreamed that i flunked an easy class that was only graded pass/fail and didnt even have any exams.

OMG I have those dreams too. :eek: I figured it was all those sleepless all-nighters studying for exams that finally messed up my brain. :sleep:

Ok, for the record, I'm no longer worried about my psychosis, hehe...

:p

Hey, I feel really bad for you. I pm'ed you.

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
Here's the deal--sometimes he is wrong, and other times he takes off for stuff he never asked for in the first place. and I do bring it up with him. It's just frustrating to have to haggle for every question. For example, the following question appeared: "the withdraw reflex occurs when ________" and I said "...an organism encounters a painful or noxious stimulus..." he took off points for that because he wanted us to describe the reflex arch, mechanism of action etc...all of which I could have done had it been asked for directly. another question asked how actylcholine affected contractility of the frog heart we used. earlier he gave us a handout which listed various substances and their effects on the heart. and in bold, headline letters it said "actylcholine decreases contractility of the heart" (we were squirting ACh all over the frog heart) but he marked "decreases" wrong on the exam. I dunno...I just took an exam in there on monday, so I'm particularly raw about that class right now. I just don't want to have to worry about the final exam when I don't have a chance to look it over and find any discrepencies.

I don't think dr cynical did a good job of expressing himself, however, the idea at the core of his statement has some traction.

It does take a certain amount of maturity to keep things in perspective and not attach self-worth and so much emotion to grades. One must keep the big picture in mind, realize that school is just a pit stop, and remember that we are in school to learn.

Not having this level of maturity by the time you become an MD might hurt you tremendously in your practice of medicine.

I do get emotional about my grades and I do have the occasional freak-out, but I think it's more of just a novelty freak-out if that makes sense. I get upset when I get an 80% as opposed to a 95%, but I do realize that relative to the majority of the people in my class this is no big deal at all.

I think it's healthy to be worried about your grades to an extent, but if you develop rashes and insomnia cause of that one test then it might be a little too extreme. Moderation is the key to everything, right? :cool: