Do you give AMCAS your real birth city and county?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiring Mustang

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
1. Why AMCAS needs your birth city and county while they have all your data? ( When I gave Social security No. is that not enough?)
2. Can you give phony city and state of birth?
I am concerned that this is unnecessary data collection, while there is no way anyone can keep data safely while all the big guns get hacked on daily basis though most part they are trying and doing to protect the data.
Much appreciate feed back.
Would love to take the feed back from AAMC.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, you can try, but given how most schools require a background check you'll be found out for lying. It's such a high risk, low reward move. Are you going to risk getting an acceptance pulled for lying on your AMCAS application just to avoid the risk of maybe having a data breach that maybe affects you negatively?

Reactions: 8 users
Hi all,
1. Why AMCAS needs your birth city and county while they have all your data? ( When I gave Social security No. is that not enough?)
I am concerned that this is unnecessary data collection, while there is no way anyone can keep data safely while all the big guns get hacked on daily basis though most part they are trying and doing to protect the data.
This is really a non-starter. If they have your name, SSN and DOB, a hacker will already have everything they need to do real damage. Denying them demographic data collection serves no purpose with respect to what you are concerned about.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This seems like such an inconsequential thing to be concerned about. How would providing the AAMC with your place of birth adversely affect you? There are so many other, more legitimate sources of data mining and misuse in life than this one.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,
So you want to join a profession that values if not actually Treasures honesty by lying on an application form?

if you lie on your application you can kiss your medical career goodbye, especially on something like this that's pretty easy to verify.

Are you walking around with a cell phone? I guarantee you that your cell phone provider, Google, Apple, Microsoft and a whole bunch of other people know more about you than any medical school ever will

Reactions: 8 users
I echo the previous responses here. I have never heard of anyone putting in false information on their application. This might even hurt you in the long-run and you may lose out on your acceptance. Overall, it's a high risk move to not provide the correct information to the AAMC.

Maikel

Reactions: 1 user
This feels like a dumb hill to die on, bud.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Hi all,

I don't speak for AAMC or any of the other application services that also request this information, but...
1) Some of us offer scholarships based on geographic data you supply. Some of us favor applicants from certain states. Some of us realize that you have to give up this information when you apply for jobs or residencies (we can argue the issues of ID for employment especially for the undocumented).
2) Lying about it will get you into real trouble.
3) Rest assured, AMCAS like every health care provider in the nation is always on alert regarding information security, and the reason why you pay so much to submit an application is to help them assure their security is as good as is available.

Reactions: 2 users
@LizzyM @gonnif @Goro: would the school be more lenient if there are legitimate concerns about immigration status?

@Aspiring Mustang: you've asked this same question multiple times (in fact, this is the only thing you post about) and gotten similar answers. I can see why you'd be hesitant. You have to decide the risk level you are willing to take on. AAMC itself seems to be supportive of DACA status (see linked article), but that does not mean the data cannot be used against you, even if the chance is minimal. However, the people listed in the article are taking on a much larger risk by essentially outing themselves.

You already provided your SSN, I'm not sure why you're concerned about verifying your birth city/county. You're not giving this info to "Steve" from (phony) Microsoft tech support, but to a legitimate academic institution. Thousands of other applicants go through the same process every year.