Do you go see a dentist while you're in dental school?

Sweeti8286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Michigan
Status
Dentist
I was wondering if anyone went to see your regular dentist while you're in dental school. I'm not cheap or anything- it's just that I have classes 8-5, M-F....so there's really no time unless I skip classes. What's your view?

Yes, it's more convenient to go to a normal dentist, at least for me. But my dentist is in the same city as my school.

wasabi007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2001
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Status
it's faster to go see a dentist in private practice if you're concerned about your packed schedule. try going to one of your professors' private practice--some do open on selected saturdays. plus, as their student, they may cut you a deal~ ;)

carn311

Dead tired.
10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is rather ironic I was just asking myself this question.

Is it impossible to recieve dental care at your school. My wife and I currently cannot afford dental insurance and I'd be relieved to know that we can at least get a cleaning or something.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation. I feel bad even considering dentistry knowing that I'm unable to afford the care myself...not that my poverty is my fault mind you :D

Energon

Nobody Summons Megatron
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
Virtually all dental care at our school (bar ortho and implants) are free for us at our own school.... and since my "insurance" blows chunks, i go to our own clinic. One of my buddies who is a resident is my dentist.
I also had a third molar extracted by our chief resident last year and that was cool and more over free, which helped.

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Dental Student
i know at vcu cleaning and simple procedures are free. not sure about the more extensive ones.

toofache32

15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We used to just get in the chair and check each other out after regular clinic hours when their were no faculty around to make you go through the paperwork nightmare.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Dentist
toofache32 said:
We used to just get in the chair and check each other out after regular clinic hours when their were no faculty around to make you go through the paperwork nightmare.
We used to do this during the clinic hours. Seeing fellow students as your patients during clinic time was the best way to earn "freebie" clinic points toward the huge point total you needed to finish each semester. Most of the work you did on each other as dental students was free (exam, cleaning, fillings).

Mr. So-So

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
Status
generally at my uni..
..if your gross anatomy partner was male they became your dentist in clinic.
..if your partner is female...she became your dentist...and then your wife after graduation.

at least it seems that way.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Mr. So-So said:
generally at my uni..
..if your gross anatomy partner was male they became your dentist in clinic.
..if your partner is female...she became your dentist...and then your wife after graduation.

at least it seems that way.
LOL.