Do you guys hear osteopathic residencies closing down due to AOA and ACGME merger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Butterfly23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did PGY1 year at AOA TRI program(Sorry I will not say the name of program because I do not know it is true) and doing PGY2 at allopathic program. I heard from my classmate that the big ACGME run hospital purchased the hospital where I served as TRI, and Decided not to run AOA residencies and will use that hospital as satellite rotation site.
You guys hear any other hospitals already shutting Down AOA residencies??

Members don't see this ad.

Let me clarify my question. I am asking if anyone is already starting to hear the news that hospitals are shutting down AOA residencies and not even bothering to become ACGME residencies?

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard any such thing, and honestly it would seem premature, especially since programs have 6 yrs to comply and they don't even know the standards or costs associated with complying yet.

Your situation sounds very specific to that hospital, and seems more like a result of the acquisition by the parent medical system than an effect of the merger. Things like that happen all the time. Residencies are always in flux.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Arrowhead shut down their general surgery residency. It used to be a parallel program alongside an ACGME program. I don't know if it is related to the merger.

I recently inquired about an ophthalmology rotation at Hillsdale Community Health Center (MI).
The representative said that she would be able to accept me but kindly added, "Please note that with the ACGME/AOA merger, we may not have residency training positions available at the time you are ready to apply". She could not say when she would have a definitive answer.

I believe Arrowhead shut down their general surgery residency. It used to be a parallel program alongside an ACGME program. I don't know if it is related to the merger.
We've heard the same, as well as Western losing some core rotation spots.